'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What's Behind the Wall?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-04-13 3:30 PM
3 replies, 4421 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-04-12 9:05 AM (#132926)
Subject: What's Behind the Wall?

Extreme Veteran

I have a 01 Exiss with a factory LQ, I would like to put a hat rack above the door.  I have hung some things on the walls with heavy duty velcro and it has worked very well.  I think the hat rack may be too heavy for velcro but I am a little concerned about putting holes in the walls....would there be wires above the doors, are there studs I should try and hit?  Should I abort this plan?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-04-12 9:28 AM (#132927 - in reply to #132926)
Subject: RE: What's Behind the Wall?

Expert

Exiss LQ interiors have been installed by many companies. Many of their "factory" interiors were installed by Sierra. Perhaps a call to them might be productive.

You are correct to believe there may be wiring above the doorway. It is the shortest avenue to run wiring to exterior lights and grab handles from interior switches. When we installed a weekender, we ran wires in the same location, using the framework as chases.

The area above the framework, closer to the ceiling, would probably not contain the wiring. Drilling shallow holes, and installing the shortest possible screws, will lessen the chances of striking and damaging a wiring loom.

An other possibility is installing rivnuts (rivet nuts). They are basically installed like large pop rivets, and incorporate square shank machine screws, instead of the pointed sheet metal screws that can damage wiring.

http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet47.htm

SRWilson
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2011-04-13 3:24 PM (#132974 - in reply to #132926)

Regular

I have an Exiss that I am working on right now and if this helps, this is what it looks like over the door. The wires are all in one large bundle like your the cord that plugs into your truck and are in a channel on the very top. If you hit the aluminum stud just below that you should be good to go
SRWilson
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2011-04-13 3:30 PM (#132975 - in reply to #132926)

Regular

OK so i tried to attach some pictures to help you see it but apparently the pictures i have a to big and I don't know how to make them smaller or put in a link. if someone can help me with that, I will be sure and post a bunch of new ones from my DIY and where I am so far.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)