'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Durability of the white aluminum skin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-01-21 12:08 PM
6 replies, 7846 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Vita
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-11-08 1:02 PM (#126809)
Subject: Durability of the white aluminum skin

It is my understanding that many people get the extruded aluminum on the outside of the trailer where the horses are tied because it is supposed to hold up better. Wondering on the durability of the white skin -- I'm guessing you wouldn't acid wash it -- can you pressure wash it? Does it scratch or peel or anything? I just don't really know anything about it other than it doesn't get "silver" on everything that rubs against it. Thanks for any info or opinions.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Spin Doctor
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2010-11-08 3:24 PM (#126820 - in reply to #126809)
Subject: RE: Durability of the white aluminum skin

Extreme Veteran

IMO, it is mostly due to scratches/dings. The white will show a scratch or ding worse than the extruded. The extruded is a little more resistance to scratches/dings and can be buffed out easier. The extruded also adds a little more stability to the frame/axle box assemblies as it is slightly stonger than the white sheets in most cases.

We have acid and pressured washed ours for years and have absolutely no issues. They use the white skin on over the road semi trailers for years, and acid wash these a lot-I have never heard of any issues.

Edited by Spin Doctor 2010-11-08 3:27 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-11-08 11:36 PM (#126845 - in reply to #126809)

Expert

The white aluminum sheeting is .040" -.050" thick, and on the newer trailers, held on by tape. The better newer trailers will have the panels' perimeter also secured with rivets, to eliminate the eventual lifting of the edges of the sheet metal. The tape allows a slight movement of the sheeting over the structure, so the whole structure isn't improved with much additional rigidity as a result. On older trailers, the sheeting is rivited along each stud and most horizontal framing. This greatly enhances the over all strength of the walls.

The paint is quite sturdy considering its very thin application. It is applied in rolling mills and baked on at a high temperature. It can be damaged by mechanical means and constant abrasion, which will show the base metal underneath. It should not be acid washed. If you are determined to use a truck stop facility, have it citric washed instead. Most automotive products work quite well to clean and polish this finish.

Extruded siding is ~.125", and most pieces interlock to the lower one. Most importantly, each piece is individually welded to each wall stud. This results in a very strong wall unit. The additional thickness also eliminates many of the impact damages, commonly found on smooth sided trailers. The metal is solid, so more serious scratches can removed by sanding and polishing.

An extruded siding trailer is more durable, will show less damage, and is easier to keep clean.

diamondsdoll
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-01-20 9:23 PM (#129093 - in reply to #126809)

New User

where can you buy the extruded aftermarket? 
Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-01-21 10:42 AM (#129116 - in reply to #126809)

Regular

My Featherlite has three outside ties, and all are on an area that is top half white coated aluminum and bottom half the plain aluminum with ripples. What I've noticed is that horses can put wear on tear on the trailer when tied, especially to the white portion. For example, using hay bags can mean you get some minor scratches from the bag moving back and forth. Or a stirrup rubbing against the trailer is another issue. We've never acid washed our trailer after having it two years, but it's starting to look as though it needs it. What I notice is that the white painted aluminum is starting to look dingy and has some yellowish streaks, and the aluminum isn't really shiny anymore. Not big issues, but not as pretty as it used to be.
beenaround
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2011-01-21 11:44 AM (#129117 - in reply to #126809)

Most major aluminum trailer manuf. only use extruded alum. on the both 1/2 of the wall and use either white or mill finish alum. panels above that. Extruded alum. is much more expensive and I know of know manuf. that builds a whole trailer out of it. Use rope halters with no metal hardware will eliminate some scratches on the painted panels.
beenaround
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2011-01-21 12:08 PM (#129120 - in reply to #126809)

Sorry, I don't know of anyone that builds a whole trailer out of extruded except Jamco?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)