'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Squeaking after repairs

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-06-27 7:59 PM
17 replies, 5499 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Logan3Horse
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-26 2:30 PM (#135144)
Subject: Trailer Squeaking after repairs

Had a friend pack the wheel bearings on my 3 horse trailer. He decided he wanted to look at the bushings and cut the weld off the bolt, took it out and replaced the bolt.

He then parked the trailer and said he had to turn it sharply to get it into the space. The trailer dropped 3-4 inches on the side that he had replaced the bolt. He then jacked the side of the trailer up to "release" it and it dropped into the proper alignment.

Now when I drive the trailer it squeaks horribly on both sides. It sounds like a trailer that is ready to fall apart! It is 10 years old, but has less than 5,000 miles on it and did not make any noise before he packed the wheel bearings and replaced the bolt.

Any ideas what this could be? I typically only drive my trailer round trip 5 miles to the trainer, part of it is on a dirt. road.

Thanks for any help, I don't want to ruin my trailer!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2011-06-26 5:56 PM (#135150 - in reply to #135144)
Subject: RE: Trailer Squeaking after repairs

Expert

Welcome to HTW...!!  Quote.... He decided he wanted to look at the bushings and cut the weld off the bolt, took it out and replaced the bolt. He then parked the trailer and said he had to turn it sharply to get it into the space. The trailer dropped 3-4 inches on the side that he had replaced the bolt. He then jacked the side of the trailer up to "release" it and it dropped into the proper alignment.

I don't quite understand what you're talking about here....  That's some friend you got there...

Logan3Horse
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-26 6:12 PM (#135151 - in reply to #135150)

I took the trailer to him to pack the bearings as they needed to be done. When I got there he said he looked to see if the bushings on the springs needed to be replaced. The bolts had a weld on them so that they didn't come loose, well he cut off the weld and removed the bolt. I don't think he did more than that. Now my trailer squeals and squeaks on both sides. He is telling me it is because I need to replace the bushings that are inside the springs where the bolts are.

Sorry if that is clear as mud! This is probably how I got into this mess in the first place as I don't have a clue. I just know my trailer hauled perfectly and didn't make any noise beyond a little rattling of the dividers when I drive on the dirt road.

Could he have possibly messed up the wheels when he packed the bearings?

TIA
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2011-06-26 8:13 PM (#135156 - in reply to #135144)

Extreme Veteran

I would be more concerned with the springs and where he was messing around. I would take it to a frame shop and look over the drop 3-4" and then realigned. That sounds strange but it may be the way you are explaining it.

What was the purpose to check the bushings if he then didn't replace them? I haven't looked at my springs and bushings but I would think they are exposed and a visual could have been done with out taking it apart.

Logan3Horse
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-26 8:17 PM (#135157 - in reply to #135156)

I don't know why he did what he did. I did not ask him to look at the springs. My husband has done some research and found a mention of boat trailers squeaking. The trailer was power washed and the floor sealed at the same time. Maybe this is related?
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-06-26 8:41 PM (#135161 - in reply to #135144)

Expert

Did you press him to return the trailer early?...If not, why didn't he replace the bushings when he fiddle-farted around with the bolts? I personally think you are getting a run-around from him...
Logan3Horse
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-26 9:48 PM (#135166 - in reply to #135161)

No, I didn't ask for it back early.

Specifically what I asked him to do was pack the wheel bearings. When I went to get the trailer he said he had removed the bolt and had to break the weld on it to do so. The bolt was ruined so he replaced it with a new one. Other than that I don't think he did anything else. When I asked him later why the trailer was now making this horrendous squeaking noise (it is so bad I'm afraid I'm going to spook horses that are in the arena when I leave) he said the bushing probably needed to be replaced, or that maybe there was dirt in the brakes.

Yes, I am definitely getting the runaround! I don't want him to fix it, I just want ideas as to what to do, but he is holding himself completely blameless, therefore does not seem to have any suggestions.

The trailer was also power washed and the floorboards treated with Murphy's oil. Could the soap and water dripping onto the axle and springs caused a problem?
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-06-27 12:45 AM (#135174 - in reply to #135166)

Expert

Originally written by Logan3Horse on 2011-06-26 9:48 PM

The trailer was also power washed and the floorboards treated with Murphy's oil. Could the soap and water dripping onto the axle and springs caused a problem?
NO!!!If you were to drive next to your trailer, I'll be willing to bet a Pepsi, that the sound you will hear is coming from the area of the replaced bolt... My guess is that he may have damaged the bushing when he CUT the old head off...Also...make sure he replaced it with a GRADE 8 bolt and also make sure that the new ones are the SAME SIZE as the old ones...
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-06-27 12:47 AM (#135175 - in reply to #135144)

Expert

Originally written by Logan3Horse on 2011-06-26 2:30 PM

He then parked the trailer and said he had to turn it sharply to get it into the space. The trailer dropped 3-4 inches on the side that he had replaced the bolt. He then jacked the side of the trailer up to "release" it and it dropped into the proper alignment.
You might also want to make sure he did NOT bend your trailers axle(s)...
Logan3Horse
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-27 12:50 AM (#135177 - in reply to #135174)

My husband said the exact same thing. It sounds like I need to take it to a trailer repair shop. We have an RV place here in town that should be able to look at it.

Do you really think he could have bent the axle? 1

It sounds like the noise is coming from both sides, but it is so loud it is hard to tell!
jim bob
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2011-06-27 9:34 AM (#135193 - in reply to #135144)

Extreme Veteran

I would bet that he tightened the new bolt so tight that it has squeezed the spring hanger so tight that it now causes the end of the spring to squeek because of being too tight.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2011-06-27 9:59 AM (#135195 - in reply to #135144)

Expert

If I were you I think I'd take my trailer to a professional shop with people who clearly understand your expectations and don't offer to do anything else other than what you've asked without speaking to you first.

Your buddy should not have taken it on himself to "look" at anything else without asking.he's screwed up something with his actions,however noble they may/may not have been,and,he knows it.I'd find out from trailer mechanics then present him with that information and a "thanks a lot."

If friends aren't also in the business that is related to my  needs,I don't ever think it's a good idea to ask them to do work on my house,trailer,or vehicles.It just is bad business,often,as you're seeing.37

Logan3Horse
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-27 10:59 AM (#135197 - in reply to #135193)

So do you think if we loosen the bolt that would be enough of an indicator that that is the problem?

I plan on taking it to the RV repair shop regardless, but I would like to be able to tell them what I think the problem is.
Logan3Horse
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-27 11:02 AM (#135198 - in reply to #135195)

He is a retired gentleman and I thought I would give him the money to do the job as he does his own. But!!!! He should not ever have touched the nut, what was he thinking as it was welded on! I know his intentions were good, but I will never again go to a friend because with a garage at least I have some recourse!

Once again an expensive lesson learned.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2011-06-27 11:09 AM (#135199 - in reply to #135198)

Expert

I don't mean to be dissing your friend,if it sounds like that.But I just wouldn't proceed with work on someone's expensive trailer without asking beyond what I set out to do.I'm sure he meant well,but,I'm just funny about who I let repair or work on my "stuff".Hope it isn't the end of a relationship,maybe it's not that big a deal to fix.Good luck!
Logan3Horse
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-27 11:12 AM (#135200 - in reply to #135199)

I am highly annoyed and he doesn't want to "own" what he did, but it won't end the friendship. Their great granddaughter is close in age to my daughter so we see them a lot. Now I need to address it with him again and ask him about the bolt that he used to replace the one he cut off.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-06-27 7:54 PM (#135215 - in reply to #135144)

Expert

I would get it taken care of at a reputable, knowledgeable.professional business, any issues they find, you take care of, and then in a gracious way you might either let him see what was done on the invoice, and let him respond.  And, regardless of the response, in the future take it to professional, reputable, knowledgeable businesses to have it done.  He meant well, but I suspect he got in past his scope of abilities.  this way you have a friendship and a safe trailer...
Logan3Horse
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-27 7:59 PM (#135216 - in reply to #135215)

I plan on letting him know exactly what I find out and then never again ask for help.

I should have just taken it to the tire shop to have the bearings packed as we know they wouldn't have done anything else.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)