'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Duel wheel single axle trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-11-09 9:10 PM
3 replies, 5776 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

RACKING HOSS
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-11-07 5:00 PM (#126749)
Subject: Duel wheel single axle trailers

Anyone know anything about these. I remember a post about them.I did a search and did not find anything. As i remember they was air ride air brake. 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2010-11-08 11:11 AM (#126806 - in reply to #126749)
Subject: RE: Duel wheel single axle trailers

Expert

Turnbow made/makes them as a custom...
http://www.turnbowtrailers.com/large.asp?picID=80
Some downsides with a dual wheel single axle...
(1)Flat tires are easier to change on the single wheel set up then the inside dual would be. (2)If ya had a bearing burn up you could possibly, but NOT likely, pull that tire and rim off and run to a safe spot for repairs. NOT with a single axle. (3)Depending on how the chassis is set up you would obviously have HUGE interior fender wells. (4)Depending on your terrain, duals are a very nice place for rocks to get jambed into causing that wild thumping sound and potentially damaging TWO sidewalls, this won't happen with single wheels. (5)The single wheel, dual axle set up is much more convenient to keep an eye on tire condition and pressure, that inside dual easily gets neglected!
Spin Doctor
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2010-11-08 3:43 PM (#126823 - in reply to #126749)

Extreme Veteran

I would guess ride would be rough as the axle rating would have to be very high or so to warrant it.

A Load G tire could carry ~3500 pounds which on a single axle, you would need a 7k axle. If you run duals, could carry 14k on the axle or need a 14k axle to match the tires--which is a really, really a stiff suspension-almost as much as a semi trailer.

Granted, you could lower the tire load rating, but why? Might be a lot cheaper to go with two tires with  higher load ratings than 4 tires, rims, etc. with a low load rating.  

The single axle we ran for years, we kept increasing the tire load rating to get a tire that would hold up.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-11-09 9:10 PM (#126877 - in reply to #126749)

Expert

Tandam axles help smooth out road bumps better than dually.  With a dually, when you hit a bump or chuck hole. The tires hit it and the resulting bump is felt.  With Tandam axles,  The front tire my hit the chuckhole, but the trailing tire is still carrying some of the wieght, So only a smaller percentage of the impact is felt through the suspension

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)