'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
tire issues

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-09-27 10:16 PM
1 replies, 2706 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

anndrlynn
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2010-09-27 8:22 PM (#125259)
Subject: tire issues

New User

I came home a couple weekends ago to find a quarter of my tire missing. So my problem has been finding a tire to replace it. Currently i have 7.00 15LT's on. I have a 3 horse slant Sooner.
Farm and Fleet tried to sell me a cheaply made tire which I have not heard a good thing about. So they sent me to a tire shop in the next town over. They didn't have anything for my size either.. instead he tried selling me new 16" rims with radial tires.. at 270 bucks a pop. He also said I could put 16" rims on (still buying new rims at 60 bucks a pop) and get some used truck tires 225/75R16 or 215/85R16. I think he was out to make a buck off me..
So I went to the shop I get my vehicle work done and he ordered me up a tire. I went to stick it on tonight and it is an ST not an LT. So here is my question: Can I use this tire?
I'm planning on replacing the rest of the tires in the spring, as they are badly worn. That's a whole new can of worms.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-27 10:16 PM (#125264 - in reply to #125259)
Subject: RE: tire issues

Expert

Unless you go to 16" rims, it's almost impossible to purchase tires like the "E" range radial LT truck tires. Some time ago, there were discussions about fitting junk yard truck rims on trailers. My trailers have the same 8 bolt pattern as Ford trucks. However, the wheel stud diameters of one of my trailers is physically smaller, and the rims would be incompatible.

Right now, decent "E" range 16" LT truck tires, are selling for $170 - $235 in my area. Add in the cost of a new rim, and the dealer's price may not be completely out of line, depending on the brand of tires he will provide.

One thing you should check if you decide to install larger rims, is if the newer tires will fit under the fenders. You can reduce the overall heigth of the tires, by switching from an 85 series sidewall to a 75 series while maintaining the same widths.

If you continue to use the 15" rims and tires, keep your new ST tire for a spare.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)