'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How can I protect myself on an out of state transaction?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-31 6:38 PM
5 replies, 2902 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Petalstorm
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2010-08-30 10:38 PM (#124234)
Subject: How can I protect myself on an out of state transaction?

I am considering the purchase of a 4-star trailer in Texas. I live in Colorado.
What can I do to protect myself, short of going there, in this transaction?
Should I use an escrow service? Is there a service that I can use to check the trailer out?
Help!?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-08-31 6:08 AM (#124238 - in reply to #124234)
Subject: RE: How can I protect myself on an out of state transaction?

Veteran

I would think if I were to spend a large amount of $$$ on an item such as a trailer I would want to see it in person...or get someone who is knowledgeable and you trust to do it..  long week-end coming up..jump in the truck and make a road trip out of it... Good Luck 
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-08-31 8:46 AM (#124241 - in reply to #124234)

Expert

I agree, go see it.  What might be no big deal to somebody else, could be a deal breaker for you.

Hop a plane, you can make the round trip in one day.  Go look at it and be home to sleep in your own bed.

It's better to spend  a couple of hundred bucks on travel to go look, than spend thousands on a bad decision.

As far as the transaction.  I would suggest a $100 or $200 to hold the trailer. The rest of the money should be handed over when the trailer  (and title) are handed over to you.  If you have any concerns, do the transaction at a branch of your bank, find a title company or attorney you are comfortable with and do the deal in their office with their help. From your stand point, Make sure you are getting a valid title for the trailer.  If a dealer is involve. They usually are icensed & bonded. So if they screw up, you can go after the bonding service.

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-08-31 10:06 AM (#124245 - in reply to #124234)

Expert

Originally written by Petalstorm on 2010-08-30 10:38 PM

I am considering the purchase of a 4-star trailer in Texas. I live in Colorado. What can I do to protect myself, short of going there, in this transaction? Should I use an escrow service? Is there a service that I can use to check the trailer out? Help!?

Where at in Texas???  If it is around Dallas/Ft.Worth or close I can check it out for you if you can not get down here to look.  Is it dealer or indiviual that has it?  If it is a dealer (a well known dealer) you can trust them, but there is a few around that I would not take their word for anything they have to say.

FYI, if it is close to me and you would like for me to look it over and maybe send some better pictures my charge is FREE!

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-08-31 10:34 AM (#124250 - in reply to #124234)

Extreme Veteran

You can always get an attorney to ask as an escrow agent.
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-08-31 6:38 PM (#124261 - in reply to #124245)

Originally written by hogtownboss on 2010-08-31 9:06 AM

Originally written by Petalstorm on 2010-08-30 10:38 PM

I am considering the purchase of a 4-star trailer in Texas. I live in Colorado. What can I do to protect myself, short of going there, in this transaction? Should I use an escrow service? Is there a service that I can use to check the trailer out? Help!?

Where at in Texas???  If it is around Dallas/Ft.Worth or close I can check it out for you if you can not get down here to look.  Is it dealer or indiviual that has it?  If it is a dealer (a well known dealer) you can trust them, but there is a few around that I would not take their word for anything they have to say.

FYI, if it is close to me and you would like for me to look it over and maybe send some better pictures my charge is FREE!

Can't beat an offer like that!

I always want to see faxed (or emailed) copy of the front and back of the title. I want to make sure that they have the title, it's in the name of whoever I'm doing business with, and that any leins are released and signed off. It's less of an issue if a dealer has it, but I still like to see it.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)