'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Low Tech Camping

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-30 5:53 PM
57 replies, 13408 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-08-26 3:31 PM (#124092 - in reply to #123961)
Subject: RE: Low Tech Camping

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by jackbrat on 2010-08-23 5:35 PM

kentuckyrain, heh-heh, I do always bring the beans! Nothin' like having eggs and bacon in the morning though since I don't eat breakfast at home.

Ain't it funny how we never eat breakfast at home in the a.m. but we always do camping. I'm the same way.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-08-26 4:30 PM (#124093 - in reply to #123690)

Expert

I started off borrowing a home made 4H steel trailer from a friend. My 1st trailer that I owned was a 3H with small DR.  Then I made the plunge into a 3H GN that also had a DR. I spent a lot of nights at CTR rides in that GN.  After 5 years of that I bought a 3H with a weekend package. No gas, No fridge, but it did have a simple bathroom.

Since I have 5 daughters, I thought maybe I'd keep their interest if I provided some creature comforts. So I bought a 4H with a 9' LQ.  It was nice. I really enjoyed the fridge and furnace.  But it really didn't get any more attention from my wife, who only joined us once.  she is not into camping or riding.  So after a couple of years, I decided that was a waste of my money. I keep tearing off holding tanks while traveling Forest Service roads.  So I sold that trailer and bought a 4H GN with a small DR.  It is easier to get down rough roads that the bigger LQ.  I can sleep in the GN for short trips and everything stays dry.  If my daughters come, We put a tent for them. Gives them some privacy, and I don't have to listen to the talk all night.

Now understand, I never camp at a Rodeo or Fairground. Everything we do is into remote forest or desert areas.  I never need any A/C But I frequently appreciate some heat.  I'm too nervous to use anykind of combustable heat in the trailer like a propane heater. So we just use quality sleeping bags.

I bring a Colman Stove, Dutch Ovens, I usually carry a generator in the back of the truck and keep a George Foreman type of small grill. With it I can quickly cook a chicken breast, hamburger, pork chop or piece of salmon. On the stove I cook bacon, eggs, pancakes, hash browns etc for breakfast. Lunch is usually on the mountain. Either sandwiches or often, jerky, apples, nuts, granola bars etc.

I bring one or two ice chest to keep perishibles in.  Any meat I bring, I freeze before it goes in the cooler. That way it keeps longer. sometimes I will freeze a second gallon of  Milk or a jug of Orange juice, Which I will use after the 1st jug is gone.

Having done a lot of River Rafting on western rapids. I've learned to live out of an ice chest for up to a week. The trick is to NOT OPEN it. So everything for Day 1-2 and maybe 3 goes in Cooler 1, everything for Days 3-4-5 goes in  cooler 2.  Tape the lid shut and don't open it until you absolutely have to get into it.

I like to have a bath everyday. So I heat up a pan of water in the morning on the colman stove or over the fire pit.  Once warm, I dumps some water over my head. Shampoo my hair, shave, sponge bath the rest of me.  Warmer weather I do it in the morning when I first get up. In October durning Elk and Deer hunts when it's 10*, I may wait for mid day.

Speaking of Fall hunts. We pack in and set up a Wall tent.  In it we sleep on cots, have a cyclinder wood burning stove for heat.  Since we are packing in, we do not bring in coolers or any perishible foods.  So we eat more of canned stews, chili, stuff like that. I like the Bear Canyon  powdered soups especially the Brocholli Cheese. You bring a a quart or two of water to a boil. (If we are taking the water out of the stream, we boil it a little longer to kill any germs) Add the powder, Let it thicken and serve. We pack in some bread bowls and it makes a great supper.  We bring in a lot of hard rolls or potato rolls. Even if they get smashed in the horses packs, they are still good to dip in the soup.

evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-08-26 4:40 PM (#124097 - in reply to #123690)

Veteran

Wow!  For me from the kinda  civilized East Coast, that sounds GREAT.  Have a friend in New Mexico who rides and hunts/camps/outfits and reminds me so much of how he does it.  Sounds beautiful, rugged, real.  Many thanks for sharing that.  FIVE daughters that's a LOT of hauling  even if you leave the horses at home!  Good thing your wife doesn't want to come ~~

Like the idea about sealing up a cooler or so.  I have those thick insulated packs from people sending steaks -- could easily use them with stuff for later in the trip.

E

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-08-26 7:54 PM (#124107 - in reply to #124093)

Extreme Veteran

I like to have a bath everyday. So I heat up a pan of water in the morning on the colman stove or over the fire pit.  Once warm, I dumps some water over my head. Shampoo my hair, shave, sponge bath the rest of me.  Warmer weather I do it in the morning when I first get up. In October durning Elk and Deer hunts when it's 10*, I may wait for mid day.

LOL Painted Horse, you value being clean more than I. lol  A cold outdoor shower in the *Everglades* is about my limit! lol

Yours was an interesting post - sometime you'll lhave to share your favorite Utah trails/horse camping areas.  For many years, our Spring backpacking trip was to Grand Gulch, not too far from Lake Powell.  It was pretty remote and primitive way back when.  The last time we went, it wasn't so remote anymore, but "progress" happens.

Edited by Phoresic 2010-08-26 7:57 PM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-08-27 8:38 AM (#124119 - in reply to #124097)

Expert

Well two of the daughters have moved to California, so they rarely ever ride any more. And never have time for a weekend camp out.  One daughters off to college, and she has brought home her room mates a couple of times for rides. And they have enjoyed a weekend  of camping when their jobs and schools allow the time. Usually once a summer.  My two youngest are still in high school.  And they do like to come with me. But they are getting more involved in school and jobs, so they have not been able to come as often and it 's become more of an afternoon ride for them vs a weekend.

Hence, I'm back to the simple trailer. No need to pay for creature comforts for the women in my life, when they don't come and stay over night.

When we float white water rivers. We often take 3-5 rafts. Each raft gets one cooler. Each cooler has a days worth of food for the group. Freeze as much of the food as possible before putting it in the cooler and tape them shut. We open each cooler as we go through the trip. We are still eating steaks and having ice cream on day four of the trip. Now horses can't carry as much stuff as we do on a white water raft. ( not unless you bring several pack horses per person) So we have to pack a little lighter.

We still bring in real food on pack trips vs the freeze dried stuff that back packers take. We bring  onions, some potatos and carrots and some canned chicken to make some chicken stew with. The hard vegetables and canned meat are pretty hard to smash in a pannier. I pack my eggs in a tupperware bowl full of grain. I get the eggs and the horses get the grain.

kentuckyrain
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2010-08-27 6:02 PM (#124123 - in reply to #124119)

[I get the eggs and the horses get the grain.

That's great! And brilliant!

Edited by kentuckyrain 2010-08-27 6:03 PM
liv to ride
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2010-08-27 10:17 PM (#124132 - in reply to #124093)

Veteran

Wow, Did the post from Painted Horse bring back some memories. I lve ten miles from a million acres of wilderness in Montana. Or annual family vacation was to take the kids and whichever of their friends wanted to come along and pack into the mountains for ten days to two weeks.

For preserving food we use most of the tricks he uses. My husband and I get quite a bit of teasing about our bedroll because it takes up the top pack on one horse. Not heavy just bulky. We use a wall tent with a folding simms stove for heat and cooking. The kids each have their own backpacking tent with good sleeping bags.

We have a favorite spot that has the best fishing on the river and don't forget the air matresses that double for sleeping and floating. No hot water baths on this adventure.

The biggest trip we ever made we had 14 horses with us. Eight riding horses and six pack horses, and we were gone almost two weeks. What an adventure we had.

Either my husband or myself would ride lead to clear trail if needed or to help in case there was a wreck. Thank God we never had a bad one. Also my husband never went anywhere without packing his rifle, usually a pistol and sharp axe was also handy. We never had any problems with the local wildlfe and after the first night of nervous nellies everytime you heard a strange noise everyone just settled down and enjoyed themselves. What is it about camping that makes food taste better. Well thanks for letting me ramble down memory lane. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
fastleslie
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-08-30 5:53 PM (#124219 - in reply to #124123)

New User

LUV IT...you get the eggs & horses get the grain!!!
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)