'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Purchasing Advice Please

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-30 4:42 PM
3 replies, 2956 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

shalen
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-08-29 10:52 PM (#124188)
Subject: Trailer Purchasing Advice Please

New User

We are looking to purchase a LQ trailer and have narrowed it down to two. Both are 3 horse with similar layouts, each has a better "this" or "that" than the other one so it comes down to brand and price. One is a 1998 Silverlite (they think it is the Roper model), all aluminum. The other is a 2002 Trails West Sierra, steel w/ aluminum roof. The Silverlite is priced $3300.00 more, but is 4 years older. The trailer will be used more without horses than with as a toy hauler and basic camping rig(but not a lot), but will haul horses occasionally. Any opinions out there on these particular brands or things to watch out for? Thanks :)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-08-30 11:34 AM (#124202 - in reply to #124188)
Subject: RE: Trailer Purchasing Advice Please

Veteran

shalen, I would say choose the Silverlite hands down, no question what so ever, unless the previous owner's ruined the aluminum floor, which would be probably unlikely as it is planked aluminum. I would still say this even though Silverlite is out of business and Trails West is still around.  The comparison is apples to oranges.  Check out the sales section of HTW and look at the prices of comparable (number of horses, LQ size) Silverlite and Trails West trailers and then compare the prices. 
Cindy Trailer Depot
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2010-08-30 11:49 AM (#124204 - in reply to #124188)

Regular

The Silverlite will have better resale value, even if it's older, and they are nice middle of the road aluminum trailers.  Trails West are very nice, top of the line steel trailers, but steel depreciates a lot worse than aluminum and the Trails West will be a lot heavier and use more fuel.  I wouldn't buy either one without hooking up and pulling them first so there are no surprises with the weight.  I would be concerned with who did the interiors also and compare them for quality too.
trot-on
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-08-30 4:42 PM (#124215 - in reply to #124188)

Extreme Veteran

All I can add is I just bought a used Trails West, and the comapny has given me EXCELLENT customer service, even tough I bought used. I needed a blueprint of the trailer to find support beams to attach some hi-ties, and they emailed me one, they have replied to all of my questions, and their customer serviuce has been top notch.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)