'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
portable air conditioning advice

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-04 10:58 PM
12 replies, 30073 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lazy M
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2010-06-26 10:00 PM (#121569)
Subject: portable air conditioning advice

Regular

HiAfter a sweltering camping trip I am considering adding air conditioning to my 4 Star trailer. As a cheaper alternative to roof air, as I would also need to have additional bracing installed besides purchasing a unit, I wondered if anyone has tried the portable air conditioners in their trailer? This is a free standing unit that you don't vent to the outside. I've seen these in the $500.00 range. Do these work very well? Is roof air comfortable? Does it blow right down on the bed?ThanksJoan
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hornet
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-06-27 6:04 AM (#121578 - in reply to #121569)
Subject: RE: portable air conditioning advice

Extreme Veteran

Are you talking about a "swamp cooler" that blows air across water? Because I can't see how any true "air conditioner" could not be vent to the outside. In order to cool the air, you've got to move that heat some place else. If you think about how an air conditioner works, that's all you're doing, move heat from the inside to the outside, with heat energy removed from the air you're naturally left with cool air. Can you use a small household window air unit. I've seen a lot of people do that because of the cost of a roof unit.

Edited by hornet 2010-06-27 6:06 AM
Lazy M
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2010-06-27 7:48 AM (#121580 - in reply to #121569)

Regular

Hi, hopefully I my attachment will work okay. If so, I am looking at the EdgeStar 8000. It says you don't have to drain it but I did wonder about the heat that it would produce to run.Thanks http://www.portableairshop.com/
Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-06-27 9:25 AM (#121583 - in reply to #121569)

Extreme Veteran

It says that you vent it to the outside by using a hose.  One of the comments says that the exhaust venting hose should not be more than 5 feet long. 

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-06-27 9:34 AM (#121585 - in reply to #121569)

Extreme Veteran

What I read is that it doesn't have to be drained and is vented with an exhaust hose that is 5 inches in diameter and about 4 feet long.  It sounds great to me, and if you do get one, I hope you post a review here.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2010-06-27 10:03 AM (#121587 - in reply to #121569)

Extreme Veteran

You'd want one to vent to outside otherwise it's not a true air-conditoner.  The vent out pulls out the hot air and humidity in your trailer to the outside.

When I priced with a local RV dealer to have a roof air-conditioner put in, they priced me around $1,200. for the new unit, bracing, wiring & tax.  There's been a recent post on this within the last couple of pages and someone had a web-site for some roof units at some good prices. The other half is having someone install one for you.

I went with a portable unit and vented out the window.  I really didn't want to put a hole in the walls or back to the horse compartment.  In the next couple of months will be the best time to shop for them with the end of the season sales.

I shopped E-bay and was able to find the size and weight I wanted and it was cheaper even with shipping costs.  I do know Lowes, Menards, Big Lots, Shopko some Wal-Mart will have the units. 

When I was at Menards, a salesman helped me with what size I would need based on the size I told him my living quarters are. I needed 5,000 to 7000 btu. 

I knew where I wanted to put the air-conditioner to save space so was looking for a certain height. The unit sits partly under the table so I could run the hose under the table then beside the table to the window. I also wanted one that I could manage the weight myself and ended up with one around 55 lbs.  I do take it out when it's not the hot season.

I then went to a local glass & repair dealer.  I have one big window with two smaller windows below. They slide open so they put a hole in one window and added a sliding piece with seals that sit beside/behind the hole.  I do have an attachment piece I can leave in the window that I attach the hose to.  If I'm not using the unit, I can detach the hose and put the cover over it or I can take that attachment piece out and use the sliding piece to cover the hole.  Works nice.

The other thing I looked at was the wiring and with this unit, I can plug in with what I have.  I haven't had the chance to use it much but so far so good.  I was able to get everything done for around $400.00

oklahoma horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-06-27 10:38 AM (#121593 - in reply to #121569)

Regular

I had to make a choice also. My trailer came with a window unit but it sat on a shelf into a place cut into the divider of the LQ and horse part. It blew hot air back into the horse part of the trailer and made it steamy back there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/trfolks/Trailer/IMG_1244.jpg 

See the cut out space? Anyway, I use the back part sometimes for a guest room or my changing room and I didn't want it to be an oven. I have checked into portable air conditioners before and besides the fact, they are huge and heavy, they do need to vent somehow or you will blow hot air back into your LQ.

I couldn't justify the cost of the rooftop air conditioner. Plus I had several people tell me how they hated having the air blowing right on top of them in bed.

I took my trailer to a shop that builds interiors for horse trailers and had them professionally install my window unit into the gooseneck. It cost about $200 for the install (they also had to move my tire to the side of the trailer and weld a bracket). So the unit is protected from hail storms since it is under the gooseneck, I don't have to worry about ripping it off going under something too low and I can replace the unit when it poops out. Someone who is handy and has the right tools could probably do it themselves.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/trfolks/AC.jpg

During a recent campout during HOT and HUMID weather, it was 69 degrees in my trailer  I was shivering when I took a shower! So I am very happy with the choice I made.

ND COWBOY
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-06-28 11:57 AM (#121664 - in reply to #121569)

Veteran

About 10 yrs ago I purchased a roof mount a/c unit for a camper that installed in the hole on the roof for a crank up vent. the unit cost $600.00 and only took about a half hour to install. I am sure prices are up some since then but it was a simple and easy to install
Bluerose2001
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-08-03 2:29 PM (#123140 - in reply to #121569)

I've gotten a roof unit off ebay for $125 and used it to replace one that had quit in my camper before. I just bought a trailer and will be adding some form of AC in the next few weeks. My husband (who is an AC man thought about getting a portable unit also.
memory
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2010-08-03 3:44 PM (#123143 - in reply to #121569)

Veteran

I use a small window unit that I set in the doorway between the lq and the horse part. I have a wool blanket on a rod that hangs in the doorway down to the air conditioner. I only camp 2x's a year so that was a good set up for me.
illini
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-08-03 7:02 PM (#123149 - in reply to #121569)

Veteran

We had a portable air conditioner in our last trailer. It stored away in the closet. We vented it into the horse area. The hose to drain the water is small so it went straight into the floor. Yes,it did work and it was better than no air. We used a small fan to help circulate the air(due to the location of our closet). Our new trailer has roof air---I like it alot better. But as you say our last trailer was not braced and the room air was cheaper way to go.
Bells
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2010-08-04 2:30 PM (#123176 - in reply to #121569)

Veteran

My neighbor does what Memory does - her's is on wheels so she can move it out of the way. Works really well.
memory
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2010-08-04 10:58 PM (#123205 - in reply to #121569)

Veteran

I never thought of having wheels on it. I just step over it. Out to the shop tomorrow to construct something. Thanks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)