'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
DIY Plumbing

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-07-27 3:34 PM
4 replies, 6592 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-07-27 9:31 AM (#122847)
Subject: DIY Plumbing

Regular

Howdy.  I know most of these questions have probably been asked before.  I have a 4' shortwall and want to install my own shower with gray water holding tank, fresh water tank, pump, hot water heater, sink.  I would say my handyman classification is average at best.  I have no friends with living quarter trailers, so can't look at someone elses for reference, but I have had campers before.  Here are 3 questions I can't figure out on my own to this point (I have not started the project, just doing the layout for cost, available room, etc.)

1.  I want to keep everything electric.  Do you think the tankless water heater, or a 6 gallon, or 12 gallon water heater works best?  If I go with a 6 or 12 gallon tank heater, is it okay that they only have power to them when I am camping, or will this burn out the element?

2.  I understand the "trap" under the sink to keep out odors and gasses.  What do I do under the shower?  I don't think there to be room between the shower drain and the holding tank for a trap.  I don't know how to keep the odor and gas from coming up the shower drain.

3.  I have a metal frame trailer with the metal "angle irons" running across from side to side.  There is plenty of room between the angle iron for a gray water tank.  What is the best method to firmly secure the gray water tank to the bottom of my trailer?  I would like to avoid cutting frame and welding if possible.

As I mentioned, this project is not yet started.  I am trying to determine if the amount of money and the amount of space taken up in my little trailer is worth having my own hot shower.  I use a thedford porta potti 465 that works just fine for me now, so am leaning against the shower toilet combo.  I can put the porta potti in the shower and remove when showering.

Any help and suggested are appreciated.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
mzap
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-07-27 11:51 AM (#122857 - in reply to #122847)
Subject: RE: DIY Plumbing

We are doing the exact same to our 4 ft sw gn and this is what we have decided on:
No Gray Water Holding Tank but we will have a 90 degree hose bib under the trailer/shower pan so that we can divert the gray water from the living/camping/walking are with a hose.
We are using a tankless LPG water heater from www.eztankless.com with a 12 volt rv water pump and a corner water atnk from High Country Plastics.
Good Luck
Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-07-27 1:13 PM (#122862 - in reply to #122847)

Regular

Can you run the LP ones inside the trailer, or are the 110 volt home heaters from Home Depot an option?
JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2010-07-27 2:47 PM (#122866 - in reply to #122847)

Extreme Veteran

Does your trailer have a walk thru door to the horse area?  If so, have you considered a cowboy shower in the back?  We have a 97 model 4 -star with a 7 foot living quarter and the shower is in the horse area.  We have much more room than if the shower had been squeezed into the living space.  Just another option for you.
Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-07-27 3:34 PM (#122868 - in reply to #122847)

Regular

No-no walkthrough door.  It's just a 2 horse 4' SW.  Most of the places I stay have showers, but some of the state parks do not.  Right now I hang a solor bag in the back of the trailer.

I'm debating on a propane type, coleman hot water on demand, perhaps a "shower tent".  Or installing something inside of the trailer. 

It sure would be nice to take a shower inside my trailer.  I know I could upgrade to a living quarter or weekender.  I hate to take out a loan, and this trailer is paid for. 

I have sent an email to a local conversion company.  They said bring it in for a free quote, they do any size.  I don't care to spend more than a couple thousand though.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)