'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Dupli-Color bed liner material revisited

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-07-24 7:57 AM
7 replies, 6814 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-07-22 10:13 AM (#122668)
Subject: Dupli-Color bed liner material revisited

Expert

A few years ago I posted some info about how I treated the aluminum flooring of my trailers. This year especially, many people have PM'd me asking for more information. Most of the questions are concerned with the durability of the product, the costs and the ease of its application.

I'm into my fourth year with one trailer floor coating, three on the other. The first year with the first coating, I checked the finish weekly for a month or so. After finding no deterioration or wear, I changed my inspection schedule to a monthly basis of simple flushings, whilst rolling the mats back to expose the butt side of the flooring.

Last year I didn't do any monthly flushings under the mats. After each trailer usage, the manure was swept out and if soiled, the sidewalls and mats were flushed with a garden hose. At the end of the season, armed with a power washer, I intended to remove the mats and attack the flooring surface. It wasn't necessary. A few stains on the butt side flooring were flushed clean with a hose, and the bed liner coating was again intact and undamaged.

My trailers' flooring are built of "planks" that interlock and are welded to the sub frame. The planks are extrusions, that have longitudinal ridges formed into the cross section profiles. When a mat is placed on top of these, the ridges form a channel that allows fluids to drain to the lowest part of the trailer. Both of my trailers allowed fluids to collect and puddle, at the stern most area in front of the rear doors. By drilling a series of holes across these planks, I was able to provide a path for the fluids to escape. There is no longer any collection of fluids.

The OEM mats protect the bed liner material from any physical abrasion caused by the horses. At the same time I coated our second trailer, I also coated the steel dump bed of our then new Kubota RTV. This is used daily to haul manure, concrete blocks, foilage, sand, sawdust, anything we need to carry. The liner is not protected in any way by mats, and has provided the following three years of coverage, with no failures or rusting of the bed.

The material I used for my trailers and dump bed, was Dupii-Color's "Truck Bed Coating" a vinyl polymer product. A recent while ago, Dupli-Color introduced a new product called "Bed Armor". This is a water based polyurethane bed liner product, reinforced with Kevlar materials. Like the other bed liner, it is a single part, cold applied, air dried, surfacing. Unlike the first material, this is advertised as being able to be applied to wood surfaces.

I have never used this newer material. It is a little more expensive than the first, but is advertised to be even more durable and can be used on more products. Many people have now coated their aluminum trailer floors with bed liner materials, and all but eliminated routine corrosion maintenance. This product may be an additional aid in reducing the need to pull mats and flush the flooring.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Dupli-Color or anyone other than my better half. My job is to make my job as easy as possible.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/truckBedCoating/

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/bedArmor/

http://www.jegs.com/i/Duplicolor/318/BAK2010/10002/-1

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
shags
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2010-07-22 7:01 PM (#122687 - in reply to #122668)
Subject: RE: Dupli-Color bed liner material revisited

Regular

Thanks for all the information...I think I just found another project   

Would it be necessary to scuff up floor before applying BedArmor? (never been treated with anything but detergent and water; no corrosion)

Do you think the BedArmor would also work on my BP's running boards? They tend to collect a lot of road dirt, gunk, and mud; besides keeping them intact, I thought maybe it would make for a safer less slippery step into the dressing room.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-07-23 12:05 AM (#122702 - in reply to #122668)

Expert

Gard,I AM going to do at least one of our trailers this year with this method! Was just thinking about that today,trying to rinse underneath a mat in our 2H Sooner.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-07-23 8:16 PM (#122740 - in reply to #122702)

Expert

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2010-07-23 1:05 AM

Gard,I AM going to do at least one of our trailers this year with this method! Was just thinking about that today,trying to rinse underneath a mat in our 2H Sooner.

I think I've heard this before..............

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-07-23 8:24 PM (#122741 - in reply to #122687)

Expert

Originally written by shags on 2010-07-22 8:01 PM

Would it be necessary to scuff up floor before applying BedArmor? (never been treated with anything but detergent and water; no corrosion)

The acid wash is faster and easier to apply. It will not only stop any unseen corrosion but will etch and clean the floor as well. Aluminum is very difficult to properly prepare for a long lasting surfacing. This is one of the easiest methods.

Do you think the BedArmor would also work on my BP's running boards? They tend to collect a lot of road dirt, gunk, and mud; besides keeping them intact, I thought maybe it would make for a safer less slippery step into the dressing room.

Yes. I replaced the nonskid self adhesive steps, on my trailer's running boards with the bed liner material. It looks good, was easy to install and has not worn at all.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2010-07-24 12:12 AM (#122743 - in reply to #122741)

Expert

I used Yipes Stripes http://www.yipesauto.com/yipes/onyx_bedliners.php Spray-in Bedliner for the floor of the wife's C&C and have had no problems
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-07-24 7:40 AM (#122745 - in reply to #122743)

Expert

Originally written by PaulChristenson on 2010-07-24 1:12 AM

I used Yipes Stripes http://www.yipesauto.com/yipes/onyx_bedliners.php Spray-in Bedliner for the floor of the wife's C&C and have had no problems

I thought that was chewing gum from back in the "60's"...!!

Fruit Stripe Chewing Gum

<form name=prodinfoform action=http://www.crossroads-market.com/itemadd.asp method=post>
Fruit Stripe Chewing Gum<script language=javascript type=text/javascript> positionX = 100; positionY = 100; // Set these value approximately 20 pixels greater than the // size of the largest image to be used (needed for Netscape) defaultWidth = 500; defaultHeight = 500; // Set autoclose true to have the window close automatically // Set autoclose false to allow multiple popup windows var AutoClose = true; // Do not edit below this line... // ================================ if (parseInt(navigator.appVersion.charAt(0))>=4){ var isNN=(navigator.appName=="Netscape")?1:0; var isIE=(navigator.appName.indexOf("Microsoft")!=-1)?1:0;} var optNN='scrollbars=no,width='+defaultWidth+',height='+defaultHeight+',left='+positionX+',top='+positionY; var optIE='scrollbars=no,width=150,height=100,left='+positionX+',top='+positionY; function ShowlargeImage(imageURL,imageTitle){ if (isNN){imgWin=window.open('about:blank','',optNN);} if (isIE){imgWin=window.open('about:blank','',optIE);} with (imgWin.document){ writeln('Loading...<style>body{margin:0px;}');writeln(''); writeln('var isNN,isIE;');writeln('if (parseInt(navigator.appVersion.charAt(0))>=4){'); writeln('isNN=(navigator.appName=="Netscape")?1:0;');writeln('isIE=(navigator.appName.indexOf("Microsoft")!=-1)?1:0;}'); writeln('function reSizeToImage(){');writeln('if (isIE){');writeln('window.resizeTo(300,300);'); writeln('width=300-(document.body.clientWidth-document.images[0].width);'); writeln('height=300-(document.body.clientHeight-document.images[0].height);'); writeln('window.resizeTo(width,height);}');writeln('if (isNN){'); writeln('window.innerWidth=document.images["SiteLink"].width;');writeln('window.innerHeight=document.images["SiteLink"].height;}}'); writeln('function doTitle(){document.title="'+imageTitle+'";}');writeln(''); if (!AutoClose) writeln('<body bgcolor=000000 scroll="no" onload="reSizeToImage();doTitle();self.focus()">') else writeln('<body bgcolor=000000 scroll="no" onload="reSizeToImage();doTitle();self.focus()" onblur="self.close()">'); writeln(''); close(); }}

Item Number: HFCA819
Price: $1.38
In Stock
Yipes! Stripes! Fruit Stripe gum launched in the early 1960’s as an extension of the Beech Nut gum line. Farley's & Sathers Candy Co., Inc. acquired Fruit Stripes in 2003 from Hershey Foods. Yipes is the name of the Fruit Stripe Zebra. Fruit Stripe is the only gum with painted on stripes.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-07-24 7:57 AM (#122747 - in reply to #122668)

Expert

I think I may have messed up this thread with my post above... Sorry about that..... I'll go outside and sit in the sun.....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)