'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Theodore Rosevelt Park in North Dakota questions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-07-17 12:07 AM
12 replies, 8897 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-06-16 4:50 PM (#121232)
Subject: Theodore Rosevelt Park in North Dakota questions

Veteran

Anybody been there?  Maa Ha Dae trail info????
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2010-06-16 6:56 PM (#121239 - in reply to #121232)
Subject: RE: Theodore Rosevelt Park in North Dakota questions

Veteran

I was just out there this past wkend..    rode in the painted canyon right off I 94.  You can go to the visitors center and unload there and then ride on a trail that heads east of the visitor center and then it takes you down into the canyon.   In there you will encounter cow paths/trails that go into ruts.. between rocks ect..  will cross creeks, stepping up and down off  rock, dirt.  Pretty much have to stay in the cow path, otherwise it is pretty rough terrian..  real neat area to ride in.   

We stayed at the Bar x ranch which is about a 1 or so south of medora riding wise.  Driving wise it is about 10 miles..   Reasonably priced place to stay at.  Don't expect much of a facility thou...   nothing fancy..  the may dah hey trail goes thru there, so you can get on there and ride it.  From what I have heard alot of the trails you ride on it a ways and then you turn around and come back.    There is a trail that goes to town where you cross the little missouri river 3 times and in one place right on the west side of Medora you cross thru mud and go under rr track bridge and the hwy bridge.  Trains come over the bridge every 15 min or so..can be alot for a horse to take in right there...  when i was there the river was about knee deep or so... the bar x ranch has a double wide trailer, little cabin/shanties that you can rent to stay in, also have camp area for trailers with hook ups and shower houses..  Some corral panels are available to put horses in.

If you want a relaxing ride, I suggest bringing a horse that is experienced, dependable, one that you trust, otherwise it can be alot for a young, green, inexperienced horse to take in.

nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2010-06-16 7:01 PM (#121240 - in reply to #121239)

Veteran

Some of the places where you can stay at with the horses also let you ride on their private land.   This time of yr it is really pretty out there... still green.. later in the yr everything looks brown. 

Edited by nd deb 2010-06-16 7:03 PM
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-06-16 7:44 PM (#121242 - in reply to #121232)

Veteran

Thanks nbdeb  I was planning on going the first week of August,  I am not into scorching hot riding so plans could change.  I am going with a group on a ride up in Alberta, after Alberta they are going on a group ride in WY and I was thinking of going someplace different by myself on my way home.  I have a 12 yr old very experienced walker she did Harney Peak last summer and Big Horn week riding  like a pro.  Have you stayed anyplace other than the Bar X  I have been looking into the places around Medora and Bar X is the type of place I am looking for, I have camper in my trailer  a shower house is a plus. 

nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2010-06-16 8:04 PM (#121243 - in reply to #121232)

Veteran

It was my first time out there.   Some of the people I know have stayed at the Buffalo Gap ranch which is maybe a nicer facility but more in cost.. and then at Sully Creek, which is a camp area.  I think there is  other places as well.. such as peaceful valley ranch  in the teddy roosevelt park..   You may want to look on the internet as to what is there and what they offer.
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2010-06-16 8:13 PM (#121244 - in reply to #121232)

Veteran

As I look at infor.. the Buffalo gap ranch looks like a nicer facility for the same cost... It is further away from Medora then the Bar x. 

bjos
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2010-06-18 3:10 PM (#121314 - in reply to #121232)

We just got back from riding in ND. We were at The Little Missouri State Park-Killdeer ND. Nice riding-about 80 miles from Medora. We have been riding @ Theodore Roosevelt too. I am going to give you some websites with info for riding here. Theodore Roosevelt -nps.gov/thro/ here is north dakota state parks which will give you info for Sully Creek(primitive camping) and also for Little Missouri(electrical hookups-nice park!) if you're interested parkrec.nd.gov/parks/ and here is for the maah daah hey mdhta.com. Hope these help you out. Nice country to ride in
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2010-06-21 9:56 AM (#121348 - in reply to #121232)

Extreme Veteran

A few of the times I've been out there, I've stayed at Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch.  http://www.buffalogapguestranch.com/  It has a restaurant, motel rooms, hookups for campers, horse stalls, etc.  It is on the Buffalo Gap Trail, which connects to the Maah Daah Hey both north and south of Theodore Roosevelt National Park.  http://www.mdhta.com/  It is a pretty good day ride to the park in either direction, so if you aren't packing overnight, don't plan on riding much IN the park from Buffalo Gap.  When we've stayed there, on the days we want to ride in the park, we trailer into the park, or to the Painted Canyon Overlook, as nd deb suggested.

Watch the weather and your surroundings.  The clay ground becomes quite slippery when it gets wet, like after an afternoon thunderstorm.

gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-06-22 10:39 AM (#121396 - in reply to #121232)

Veteran

Thanks
bjos & jdzaharia    what are the bugs flies like first week of August?  is the park sceaneary that much differenct than around Buffalo Gap ranch?  I live in Northern Michigan we have great weather for riding spring and fall some winter days. But June, July and August the horse and dear flies are killer, even if you coat your horse in spray they don't land on the horse but they swarm so bad my horse just hates it.  I have been on all the web sites  it is better to hear from people who have been there than take the word of the person answering the phone trying to sell you something.  thanks for you input
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2010-06-22 3:18 PM (#121415 - in reply to #121396)

Extreme Veteran

Being from northern MI, you will find the bugs to be almost non-existent. There are flies, but nothing un-manageable. Very few mosquitoes. You may run into some no-see-ums. In the park, near areas where the wild horses tend to hang out, there can be nose flies that bother the horses.

A lot of the scenery and land outside the National Park can be just as scenic and enjoyable as that inside the park. But, there are definitely areas that are not as scenic as the park, too. There's a reason they put the two units of the park where they are--those areas are, overall, the most scenic.

The Little Missouri National Grasslands encompasses most of the badlands area and provides nearly endless riding opportunities, on- and off-trail. The Buffalo Gap Trail, heading southeast from Buffalo Gap, towards Medora and Sully Creek is a good introduction to the area for a first-timer. It mixes wide-open prairie with narrow trails through badlands formations with steep drop-offs.

The Painted Canyon ride is a good introduction to the park scenery and terrain. After a short ride along the canyon rim, a prolonged downhill-grade brings you down the canyon. You can ride anywhere in the park, but a first-timer may want to get familiar with marked and mapped trails, first. We have parked and unloaded at many of the pullouts and parking areas in the park.
jbkm56
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-07-02 1:41 PM (#121835 - in reply to #121232)

New User

We've been to both Little Missouri State Park and the Buffalo Gap Ranch.  I highly recommend both places. 

The Little Missouri State Park campground has some of the best facilities for camping with horses.  They have corrals for the horses, shelter areas, full-hookups for campers.  Camp hosts are very helpful, if they have a day off, they may take you for a guided tour through the trails.  There is also a saddle club that has their bunk house located at the park, they will also supply guided trail rides.  I would definitely go back.  Trails maps have the trails color coded to show trails graded from easy to difficult.  This place is a 'must' place to ride.

Last fall we were going to stay at the BarX, we even made reservations, or so we thought, once we arrived, no one was their to tell us where to setup.  The place looked like people just setup anywhere.  You have to run extension cords to electrical hookups, if there are any available.  The corrals were very dirty; people didn't seem to clean up after themselves.  We looked for a place and started to setup when this guy shows up and tells us the spot we were using was 'reserved' for someone.  I asked it was possibly us, he said we never had reservations, that he knew of, turns out this was the owner we were talking to.  NOT VERY IMPRESSED!

We called the Buffalo Gap Ranch to see if they had room and the said “No problem, come on over and we’ll take care of you”.  They were true to their word, what a great place to stay.  You can ride the Buffalo Gap trail from the ranch and it’s true that you can’t ride all the way to the park in less than a day, but the owner “Olie” has a couple of 5th wheel trailers that you can use, this made for a great vacation.  We used the trailer for 4 days.  One trailer held 5 horses the other 7 horses.  I can’t wait to go back and stay at “Olie's” place.

Jean F.
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2010-07-17 12:03 AM (#122478 - in reply to #121232)

Regular

I've stayed at Olie's Buffalo Gap Ranch twice and would love to go back. Riding out from the ranch there, you can access both the Maah Dah Hey and the Buffalo Gap trails. We trailered out to other trailheads as well.
Both times I've gone were the week before Memorial Day. Very green that time of year, but before it gets too hot; warm days and cool nights.
Jean F.
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2010-07-17 12:07 AM (#122480 - in reply to #122478)

Regular

Trails are marked, yet you stil get that remote wilderness feeling.  We rode for hours without seeing anyone.  Everything from water crossings to canyons, rock formations, and cliffs with scenic overlooks.  Trails may be narrow and occasionally steep, but I never felt overwhelmed.  We also were warned to stay off the slippery clay when wet.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)