'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Anyone regret going to a bigger trailer size?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-06-27 9:13 PM
11 replies, 5785 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2010-06-26 10:30 AM (#121546)
Subject: Anyone regret going to a bigger trailer size?

Extreme Veteran

I currently have a 18 ft GN, 2 horse slant with 7ft on the short wall LQ.  I'm considering bumping into a longer trailer.  I like everything about my trailer but I want to move out of steel into a 3 horse aluminum trailer and don't want to go any shorter on the living quarter.  

I figure I'd need at least a 21' to 22' to move into a 3 horse.  I found a nice trailer that's 23' 5".  I have a friend that thinks I'll regret the bigger size because I get along so well with the trailer size I have. 

He also mentioned he thought a bigger trailer wouldn't work well with my shortbed truck and would have it sitting too low.  I have a 2002 F250 diesel, heavy duty truck which I think should be able to handle the trailer sizes I'm considering.  

He also mentioned the wheel base wouldn't be good if I needed to use an extender so that has me thinking I'd be limited on the nose style of the trailer.

I have some friends with 23', 24' and 25ft trailer that I plan to ask one of them to hook up to their trailer and go for a test drive and find a big parking lot to do backing around.

Anyone have any thoughts? experiences?  Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sheryl
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-06-26 11:55 AM (#121547 - in reply to #121546)
Subject: RE: Anyone regret going to a bigger trailer size?

Veteran

I went from a steel gn 6' wide 18' box to an aluminum 23.5' box 7.3 wide.  I am currently looking hard for a day riding shorter trailer. 

Someone more knowledgeable will address the truck/trailer match up I'm sure.  I did keep the same 2000 Chevy 2500 7.4l gas truck. 

I LOVE my new (to me) LQ trailer and would do it again. But, some of the places I like to go just call for a shorter trailer and one I don't have to worry so much about the holding tanks etc. underneath.

summit_bound
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-06-26 2:36 PM (#121553 - in reply to #121546)

When I first started shopping for a trailer, I wanted the smallest thing I could find but I still wanted to be able to sleep in it, so I was looking at 7-ft. wide trailers with 6-ft shortwalls. I had also heard about the gooseneck being a problem for short bed trucks. I have a "regular" bed, which is 6'6", in my GMC 2500HD crew cab so I was concerned. Not exactly sure how it happened, but I ended up getting an 8-ft. wide 3-horse trailer with an 8-ft. shortwall LQ.I had never pulled a gooseneck trailer before and this rig seemed gigantic to me, so I was pretty nervous at first. I have since been on a couple of longish trips with it, camping overnight, and I am here to tell you that I do not regret for one second going to the longer trailer. It is amazing how you get used to that trailer back there. While I am still not a perfect backer-upper, I don't think those extra two feet really make a difference there.Because the nose of my trailer is somewhat tapered, it is not a problem for the bed, but it depends on the length of your truck's box and the width of the nose of the trailer. I am able to make tight turns without blowing out my back window but you do have to be careful at first to see how close the nose of the trailer gets.You can get airbags for the truck to help it sit higher. I don't need them in mine but I know on some other trucks they make a big difference.I think practicing with a friend's trailer is an excellent idea. You'll find out pretty quickly whether you like pulling it or not. Just watch your back window at first.Good luck with your decision!

Edited by summit_bound 2010-06-26 2:38 PM
summit_bound
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-06-26 2:41 PM (#121554 - in reply to #121553)

Sorry - I tried three times to put breaks in my post above, but it would not accept them. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm sorry for the run-on paragraph.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-06-26 2:44 PM (#121555 - in reply to #121546)

Expert

Not me,I regret that we didn't buy a bigger size to start with and wound up trading about a year later.

But,I'm not the one having to haul and steer it around,either.It would definately make a difference were I the one towing it.(It is a 12'SW 8'W 3H.)

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2010-06-26 3:58 PM (#121559 - in reply to #121546)

Extreme Veteran

when we moved up to a bigger LQ trailer I had no problem pulling/backing/etc but the thing is so big it was really dragging the fuel milage down.  plus really not practical for short around town trips.  we got a great deal on a 15 yr old  Hart 2H BP so now that stays hooked up to the truck  most of the time, and we use the LQ for longer trips
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2010-06-26 4:28 PM (#121562 - in reply to #121546)

Veteran

I went from a 7ft wide 18 long gn to a 28 long gn and 8 wide... yes, I notice a difference... It has been a yr since i got this trailer and I am starting to get used to it... I have a gas pickup and I found it very hard to get around, in and out  of gas stations.. I usually try to go to a truck stop one.   It gets pretty tight on turns with stuff to drive around... backing is a bit different too.. alot of times I find I have pull up to a pump and then back part of the way out or else I will hit the pump  ect...  can be a bit nerve racking at times.. I worry about where I am gonna park and how I am gonna get in out of spot..   I love the bigger room thou..
blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-06-27 5:17 AM (#121574 - in reply to #121562)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by nd deb on 2010-06-26 4:28 PM

I went from a 7ft wide 18 long gn to a 28 long gn and 8 wide... yes, I notice a difference... It has been a yr since i got this trailer and I am starting to get used to it... I have a gas pickup and I found it very hard to get around, in and out  of gas stations.. I usually try to go to a truck stop one.   It gets pretty tight on turns with stuff to drive around... backing is a bit different too.. alot of times I find I have pull up to a pump and then back part of the way out or else I will hit the pump  ect...  can be a bit nerve racking at times.. I worry about where I am gonna park and how I am gonna get in out of spot..   I love the bigger room thou..

Same here, I have a 20 foot trailer and a 27 foot trailer and that 7 feet makes a big difference.  I can take my 20 foot trailer in about anywhere, McDonalds parking lot, gas station in town, turn it about anywhere but the 27 foot trailer is a little different.  I need to really think about where I am going with that as it is not as handy to get around.  We love our big trailer, it's a three horse with an LQ and don't regret getting it for a minute but it is a big change from the smaller trailer.

Like Deb said you have to think about where you are going to pull into and out of with a trailer this big.

Mike

UrbanAmish
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-06-27 10:35 AM (#121592 - in reply to #121546)

I just joined the forum recently because I finally upgraded to a LQ trailer.  I used to have a carriage company and had an Exiss STK20 that was 7' wide, 7'6" tall and was 28 feet long from front to back.  I had 20' on the floor and NO dressing room. That trailer was fabulous for getting into the parking lots, alleys, and weird places that people wanted a carriage at!  I loved it, but as a basic stock trailer it wasn't going to do me any good for camping.

I just bought a Sundowner 4H with a 12' LQ.  It is 102" (8 1/2') wide and 8' tall, and about 37 feet long.  It is also aluminum over steel, so the weight difference from the Exiss is considerable.  We had it weighed and empty it was 12,100 pounds, so technically, when loaded with four horses, our gear, water, and everything else it will weigh closer to 18,000 pounds.  We just sold our Dodge 3500 and bought an F550 to pull it.  The Dodge could do the job but the F550 was too good of a deal to pass up.

The biggest difference between the two trailers is the width!  Towing mirrors are essential for the Sundowner.  The only thing I think is a "must have" for the bigger trailer is an electric jack, which is on my list for the next purchase. 

I went out and bought an old fiberglass 4H bumperpull for toting stuff around locally.  I can't justify using the LQ for a trip to the park or a trail ride.  You finally reach a point size-wise that the big trailer is just too much effort to hook up, drive, turn, park, etc...

All that said, I LOOOOVE my new trailer.  I was sad to see the Exiss go, because it was perfect for what I bought it to do and was a quality trailer, but I couldn't afford to have them both. I don't regret the LQ for one second, nor the 3000 mile round trip it took to get it home.  It is a beast to tow though!  Sometimes I feel like a big rig driver!

nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2010-06-27 5:36 PM (#121617 - in reply to #121546)

Veteran

when you think about it.. some of the longer trailers are about as long as a semi trailer... that is if you count the length on the top and not on the floor...   You add the 8 ft neck length to the floor length and my trailer is 36 ft long... standard length for semi trailers I think is 40 ft long....   so in a sense you have to drive like a semi driver.   Turn wide ect...    The 8 ft wide vs   7 is a bit different too...  like someone said you need mirrors that extend beyond it to see behind you so you  don't cut someone off when changing lanes ect...   you get in heavy traffic in a big city and I usually notice I need more space in changing lanes ect.. gets pretty nerve racking at times if someone doesn't allow you room to get over ect...  also notice it takes a bit to get past someone in order to pull back in to change lanes... you get used to the amount of time it used to take to pass some one and now you look back and find that your butt of your trailer isn't even by them yet.....  I find that I have to do alot of thinking of where the last 10 feet of my trailer is at...
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-06-27 7:23 PM (#121624 - in reply to #121546)

Expert

We had a trailer that was 43' total length, 35' on the floor.... Sent it down the road, glad it's gone. I could get in and out of my drive way, but going to any of our friends farms was pretty much out of the question. Couldn't get into their drive ways.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-06-27 9:13 PM (#121631 - in reply to #121546)

Expert

We bought a long GN 3H trailer and kept our 18' BP stock/combo. The long trailer is impractical for running around to vets, friends or the like. Some smaller show grounds are difficult to access because of tight or rough roads. However, once its set up, it's a comfortable experience.

We bought a 3H GN 18' box with a 4' weekender and sold the stock trailer. In the same length we have a complete living quarter for two, trailer for three horses and a tack area. We use this trailer a majority of the time.

We believe that two trailers are the best combination, a run around and a large LQ. Either will not suffice for the other. Like anything else, it depends on your needs and usage, what is most important, comfort or maneuverability.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)