'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
tire pressure and overdrive

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-07-02 1:26 PM
28 replies, 7789 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dgeesaman
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-07-01 8:22 AM (#121790 - in reply to #121697)
Subject: RE: tire pressure and overdrive

Regular

Originally written by gard on 2010-06-29 10:50 AM

The truck's recommended tire pressure is based on more accurate information than a sidewall maximum. But it's definitely not the rule, and on many vehicles it's asking for trouble.

?????  What kind of trouble? More tires are damaged and experience blowouts from under inflation than over inflation. The Explorer/Firestone debacle is but one example. The manufactures are interested in a compromise between ride quality and utility, and their recommendations reflect those interests.

The Explorer/Firestone thing is important because it underscores the importance of correct tire pressure. Firestone blowouts were not just about a weaker tire, but in each case it was high speed driving in high ambient temps with heavy vehicle loads, and UNDERINFLATED TIRES. It's pretty safe to say that most all of the issues would not have happened if the driver had checked their tire pressure.
Originally written by gard on 2010-06-29 10:50 AM

The higher the tire pressure, the less rolling resistance will be experienced and a lower opperating temperature will result. Heat will kill tires by delaminating the sidewalls and causing blow outs.

Overinflation very quickly diminishes in value w.r.t. rolling resistance. A little more is a little better, but a lot more is not. While the door jamb value might give up 0.5 mpg vs. adding 5 psi pressure, adding 10 or 20psi is worth nothing.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-07-01 9:39 AM (#121794 - in reply to #121517)

Expert

Dgeesaman, I agree with your comments.

Mine were based on LT tires, being run at 80 psi. I don't recommend over inflating a tire, and yes, there is little value in less rolling resistance when the tire is being destroyed by over inflation.

The owners of the Explorers were told to run their vehicles' tires at~<30 PSI, which as you have noted, was underinflated and caused sidewall blowouts. These pressures were condoned by Ford for ride quality, against the recommendations of Firestone. The unknowing vehicle owners could have been very prompt in their mainentance. However by following Ford's schedule, they set themselves up for the exact circumstances you've described.

As I've tried to point out, each of us has different rigs and requirements. We all do things that work best for us. I and some others use one pressure. Others use different ones. The tag on the door cannot differentiate among our various needs, and offer the best recommendation for each of us.

jadatis
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-07-02 1:15 PM (#121833 - in reply to #121517)

If you read everything from the tires like "max load xxxxkg at yyy kPa cold", or in lbs and psi, you can calculate the needed pressure with spreadsheet I made , in wich I use the European( most savest) equation, that I once got hold of. http://cid-a526e0eee092e6dc.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public/Car... in this map the spreadsheet . If it is all abacadabra for you , give me the details, besides the tire-specifications above mentioned, the Gross Vehicle weigt ratings of the trailer ( GVWR) and I will do it for you as an example. For the car I also made and translated a spreadsheet,navigate to it from the link above
jadatis
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-07-02 1:26 PM (#121834 - in reply to #121833)

http://cid-a526e0eee092e6dc.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public/Caravans%20or%20trailers%20tyrepressure%20advice

Here the linkable link , thougt it went automatically.

But b ythe Ford Explorer/firestone affaire the American Tire-manufacturers discovered that they had used the wrong power in the universal equation ( 0,5 ) , and after the affaire they upgraded it to the european power of 0,8 wich comes to higher pressures at reduced loads.

You could read next article about a new way of calculating and the comparison with the diferent used power-equation in America and Europe

http://cid-a526e0eee092e6dc.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/tirepressureatreducedloads.pdf

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)