'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
very newby type questions - generators? batteries?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-06-27 7:44 PM
11 replies, 3551 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-06-26 9:57 AM (#121544)
Subject: very newby type questions - generators? batteries?

Extreme Veteran

I've been working on designing a package for my 4' short wall - shower inside, sink, stovetop, microwave, small refrig with freezer, heater, airconditioner or fan, cabinets, tv/computer/radio no toilet as I don't want to maintain it and worry that an undertrailer storage would get damaged on rougher roads/terrain and don't know if a real porta pottie is something I want to deal with (open to ideas on porta potties and toilet)

What I'm really uncertain about right now is how to use things.  I have a Honda 2000 EU generator and woudn't mind adding some solar.  So, how do I set up and use the electric?  Do I primarily use the generator to charge the batteries and then use an inverter? Or do I plug   the whole system into the generator that I have to go outside to turn on and off?

An exampe: Say I was uing a ceramic heater in the morning.  Would I have to get up, go outside, turn on the generator, come back in and turn on the heater? 

I hope this question makes sense:

Thanks.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sheryl
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-06-26 12:00 PM (#121548 - in reply to #121544)
Subject: RE: very newby type questions - generators? batteries?

Veteran

Phoresic, I'm guessing you are a male or whether or not to have a potty would not even be a question!! Seriously though, a porta potti would be something you can use or not, depending on your camping situation, they are relatively cheap and there are no alterations to your trailer needed.  It's really no big deal to empty the thing. I still use mine sometimes when I stay at a local campground that has no dump station. 

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-06-26 1:24 PM (#121551 - in reply to #121544)

Extreme Veteran

lol.  That's good reasoning on the male/female thing:) but I have to say that I am female. :)  That may be why I'm squeamish on the whole porta potty thing:)  I would be the "weak link" in wanting a bathroom in the trailer, and figured if I would rather not have one than deal with it, others in my family won't care at all:

perhaps this icon is appropriate

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-06-26 2:01 PM (#121552 - in reply to #121548)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Sheryl on 2010-06-26 12:00 PM

Phoresic, I'm guessing you are a male or whether or not to have a potty would not even be a question!! Seriously though, a porta potti would be something you can use or not, depending on your camping situation, they are relatively cheap and there are no alterations to your trailer needed.  It's really no big deal to empty the thing. I still use mine sometimes when I stay at a local campground that has no dump station. 

So Sheryl, do you find using the dump station with an installed toilet to be an easy thing to empty and maintain?  Is the porta potty more difficult to empty or are they about the same?  Thanks.  We only used an rv once and we drove into commercial campgrounds so didn't really use the shower/bathroom a lot.  One of the dump stations was really awful (overflowing or something really gross) and the others were OK.  That wasn't in the US though.

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-06-26 3:19 PM (#121556 - in reply to #121544)

Extreme Veteran

Sounds like alot of stuff in a small space.
Snickers
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2010-06-26 3:26 PM (#121557 - in reply to #121544)

Veteran

1. Yes, you will have to go outside the generator to be able to run the heater.

2. The Honda 2000i WILL NOT run the air conditioner. You will have to get a second generator. Honda makes the Companion 2000i that is what you will need.Look at www.wisesales.com for info on that. Any dealer that sells Honda gen. sets will be able to supply that unit. 

shags
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2010-06-26 4:26 PM (#121561 - in reply to #121544)

Regular

Phoresic,

I bought a PETT toilet because the thought of emptying other kinds grosses me out, too. I set it up in the back of my trailer, and it sure beats using disgusting porta-johns or outhouses that are sometimes the alternative. Disposal is quick and easy, no cleaning involved.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_45413_325005007_325000000_325005000_325-5-7

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-06-26 4:56 PM (#121563 - in reply to #121557)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Snickers on 2010-06-26 3:26 PM

1. Yes, you will have to go outside the generator to be able to run the heater.

2. The Honda 2000i WILL NOT run the air conditioner. You will have to get a second generator. Honda makes the Companion 2000i that is what you will need.Look at http://www.wisesales.com/ for info on that. Any dealer that sells Honda gen. sets will be able to supply that unit. 

Thanks.  I was going to edit my post to say that I don't mind getting a second 2000.  I have heard that the single 2000 wil run a small air conditioner on low, but that may not be true.

Outside to turn the generator on, huh?  That's too bad. lol

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-06-26 5:13 PM (#121564 - in reply to #121556)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by laurie on 2010-06-26 3:19 PM

Does it?  

Along short wall (no door): sink, stovetop, microwave, small refrig with freezer, cabinets  - so that takes up 24" or less along the entire short wall.  It also has the water storage under the sink and could even have a small toaster oven (but I don't know that I need one).

In roof, window,  or wall: airconditioner or fan, small freestanding heater (unless ac has heat strip)

Gooseneck Limited space required: tv/(laptop)computer/radio - if I go to a place with wifi, I'd just use the laptop with Sling Box for tv. I'm not committed to a tv anyway, but I have an extra dish.   

shower inside - now this takes no space if my design works as I intend - it's along the lines of a collapsible rear tack.

This leaves me with the entire long wall for something (I'm thinking of a collapsible sofa that I woud make) and that would either fold away, convert to a cot, and I'm wondering if I can't make it fold into a counter/bar. But, I'm not committed to use of this space except to have some cabinets at head level.

This also leaves the wall between the horse area and the dr and the bulkhead wall for other things.

I love tiny spaces and things that fold up :). 

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-06-26 5:18 PM (#121565 - in reply to #121561)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by shags on 2010-06-26 4:26 PM

Phoresic,

I bought a PETT toilet because the thought of emptying other kinds grosses me out, too. I set it up in the back of my trailer, and it sure beats using disgusting porta-johns or outhouses that are sometimes the alternative. Disposal is quick and easy, no cleaning involved.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_45413_325005007_325000000_325005000_325-5-7

Actually, this is *exactly* what I was thinking of.  I saw it on this board and did some reading on it and thought it was a good solution.  You probably mentioned this in a previous post that I read, because, setting it up in the back of the trailer and everything is what I was thinking. Thanks for the link! 

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-06-27 7:03 PM (#121622 - in reply to #121564)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Phoresic on 2010-06-26 5:13 PM

Does it?  

Along short wall (no door): sink, stovetop, microwave, small refrig with freezer, cabinets  - so that takes up 24" or less along the entire short wall.  It also has the water storage under the sink and could even have a small toaster oven (but I don't know that I need one).

How can you get all that in 48" let alone 24" Stove top is going to take up that by itself and a small sink would be 12" plus. A fridge could have a cabinet above for microwave but that is going to take 24" at a minumum.

shower inside - now this takes no space if my design works as I intend - it's along the lines of a collapsible rear tack.

So if I understand this you would use the shower in the horse area? Or you still need the floor space to use it.

This leaves me with the entire long wall for something (I'm thinking of a collapsible sofa that I woud make) and that would either fold away, convert to a cot, and I'm wondering if I can't make it fold into a counter/bar. But, I'm not committed to use of this space except to have some cabinets at head level.

A murphy bed for a trailer sounds like a good idea but I would guess you would sleep in the gooseneck so a jacknife sofa sounds better for relaxing and extra guests but not sure if you have enough room with your entry door? Usually 6' would be nice to lay down on

This also leaves the wall between the horse area and the dr and the bulkhead wall for other things.

I don't think you can put stuff on this wallwithout blocking access to the shortwall? Unless you are just hanging something up.

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-06-27 7:44 PM (#121625 - in reply to #121622)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by laurie on 2010-06-27 7:03 PM

Originally written by Phoresic on 2010-06-26 5:13 PM

Does it?  

How can you get all that in 48" let alone 24" Stove top is going to take up that by itself and a small sink would be 12" plus. A fridge could have a cabinet above for microwave but that is going to take 24" at a minumum.

So if I understand this you would use the shower in the horse area? Or you still need the floor space to use it.

A murphy bed for a trailer sounds like a good idea but I would guess you would sleep in the gooseneck so a jacknife sofa sounds better for relaxing and extra guests but not sure if you have enough room with your entry door? Usually 6' would be nice to lay down on

I don't think you can put stuff on this wallwithout blocking access to the shortwall? Unless you are just hanging something up.

You misunderstood the 24" -  it's a 4' short wall which is 48" so it's 48"
 wide and 24" deep.  I knew that wasn't worded very clearly but thought it'd go through since it was a 4' short wall. Stove top is a two-eye stove.   So, yeah, there is a counter that is 48 x 24 approx.  on the cabinet at the bottom will be the water supply and refrig.  There will be cabinets over the top where there wil be a cabinet and a microwave.  On the counter will be the sink and a two-eye stove.

Notice that the shower is designed to be collapsible, and it will be near the door of the dressing room - in the entrance hallway. I'll have to see how it works.  It works perfectly in my head:) and I have gone through it in detail.  Like I said it's a similar concept to a collapsible rear tack.  Then there would be access to a little cabinet and the toughie is a bathroom sink but I think I have that worked out as it is a must have. (a recent visitor used the kitchen sink in my moutain cabin for brushing her teeth, and I'm still in shock lol - so a bathroom sink is an absolute must have!)

The space is a little odd for a jacknife sofa - I've looked at that and looked at the cutest tiny futon, too, but ultimately I don't think they work. You're right that there is nice space in the gooseneck, but I was thinking that having an additional sleeping space is possible, as long as it doesn't impede access on a regular basis.  When it's fully extended, it would leave just a little room to enter and exit, so it needs to fold up, so that the entrance is unimpeded at all time that the sleeping space is not in use.  That's still a plan in progress :)  There are other options and that will be the last thing that I actually do. 

There is a little space on those two walls that can be used without impeding access to anything else, but you are right that I have to be careful to be frugle with space on those.  The majority of everything - the kitchen stuff is on that short wall.

It may be that I find that there are certain things require additional space over the obvious and my inexperience may lead me to understimate some things. My main concern is how to organize and use the electric and when to use propane rather than electric and when to use 12 v and 110 and how that all works together. 

I guess we'll see - I have my plan in mind and if it works, it works, and if it doesn't, well, I'll modify it.   

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)