'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Wiring Big Truck to Trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-01-12 6:31 PM
6 replies, 5743 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

AZPenner
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2011-01-10 9:09 AM (#128726)
Subject: Wiring Big Truck to Trailer

Regular

I have recently purchased an older Freightliner FLD120 and I am setting it up to pull my Sundowner LQ. Everything has been going great up until I tried to wire the plug for the trailer. There is an existing plug and wire on the truck. It looked simple enough to me until I got out the tester. The problem is that the brake lights and the blinkers are on separate wires. What is the simple procedure to make the existing harness work for my trailer? The following is the list of the wires I diagnosed with the tester.

Red-Brake Lights

Yellow-Left Blinker

Green-Right Blinker

Brown-Lights

White-Ground?

Black-Lights

Blue-Trailer Brakes?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2011-01-10 11:26 AM (#128734 - in reply to #128726)
Subject: RE: Wiring Big Truck to Trailer

Originally written by AZPenner on 2011-01-10 8:09 AM

I have recently purchased an older Freightliner FLD120 and I am setting it up to pull my Sundowner LQ. Everything has been going great up until I tried to wire the plug for the trailer. There is an existing plug and wire on the truck. It looked simple enough to me until I got out the tester. The problem is that the brake lights and the blinkers are on separate wires. What is the simple procedure to make the existing harness work for my trailer? The following is the list of the wires I diagnosed with the tester.

Red-Brake Lights

Yellow-Left Blinker

Green-Right Blinker

Brown-Lights

White-Ground?

Black-Lights

Blue-Trailer Brakes?

The simplest way is to wire your trailer plug off of the tractor's tail lights, NOT off of the existing trailer plug. The tractor itself is the same as your trailer- combination brake light/turn signal on each side in the rear. Just wire your new plug off the apprpriate wires at or near the tail lights themselves. I make a lot of semi tractors into haulers, and this is the simplest way to do it. If you need to, give me a call- I can probably explain it better on the phone than I can type it! (800)798-9813

Bill  

AZPenner
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2011-01-10 11:51 AM (#128736 - in reply to #128726)

Regular

Thanks Windy,

I was hoping to use the existing harness but I can definitely tap into the Tractor's tail lights. You may regret giving me your number because I am sure I will come up with a ton of questions before I am done.

Thanks again

windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2011-01-10 4:07 PM (#128753 - in reply to #128726)

Ha ha! Glad to try to help when I can. Good luck- it sounds like your truck ought to work well for you!
badweather
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2011-01-10 4:50 PM (#128757 - in reply to #128726)

Regular

people on this site are really smart.  Glad I found it, and they are nice too.
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2011-01-10 6:31 PM (#128762 - in reply to #128726)

Elite Veteran

Your trailer place will also have an "adapter" that will convert this. We have used them for years when the tow vehicle has seperate brake & turn bulbs. It is simply a small electronic box and runs about $20.
AZPenner
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2011-01-12 6:31 PM (#128843 - in reply to #128726)

Regular

I got it all wired up. I had heard about the adapters but was going to look into that as a last resort.

I used the wiring from the Truck's lamps for the stop and turn lights. I used the ground and the running light wiring from the existing trailer harness. Worked out great and my interrupt switch still works for the tail lights. Thanks for the help and Bill it was good talking to you.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)