'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
lubing Dexter ez-lube axles and misc questions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-20 5:07 PM
9 replies, 15326 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-19 9:19 AM (#120345)
Subject: lubing Dexter ez-lube axles and misc questions

Extreme Veteran

I have a used trailer that has Dexter ez-lube axles.  I want to lube the axles.  I have read the service manual at Dexter's website. It cautions that one should not mix different grease.  Now, I don't know what's in it so I assume that I need to remove the old grease and start with all new?  Can I just put sufficient amount in to push the old out?

How do I ensure that there is just the new grease in there - the easiest way?

Another thing in the manual, as these are older Dexter axles, is that the lug bolts should be torqued when the wheels are put on the trailer.  Easy enough to do, I think, and the manual seems pretty adamant that it is required.

Finally, I'd like to change the wheels to something nicer looking at some point.  Are there some pitfalls in doing that other than not knowing what to look for (I'm thinking used aluminum wheels)

Thanks.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-05-19 12:54 PM (#120359 - in reply to #120345)
Subject: RE: lubing Dexter ez-lube axles and misc questions

Expert

Don't lube the Dexter eze-lube.

It is far better to pull the wheels, clean and repack the bearings.  Here's a pic of my trailer wheel after I got it from a very helpful seller.  He made sure to lube the axles before I left to bring the trailer home.

Here's an article I wrote on repacking bearings... click to read 

http://mrtrailer.com/hosspullerbrakes.pdf

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-19 3:51 PM (#120364 - in reply to #120345)

Extreme Veteran

Oh wow! That resulted from his putting too much grease and having it drip onto the breaks?

So, the eze lubes design is such that ifyou lube use it and add too much grease, it leaks onto the breaks?!  That doesn't sound like a good design.

Your article is great.  I appreciate it.  It answers my other question about the potential damage resulting from mixing types of grease, too. 

The local place charges about $225 to do it. 

Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-05-19 5:32 PM (#120366 - in reply to #120345)

Extreme Veteran

Your local place is way too high unless they are including new bearings and dinner for you and ten of your closest friends.

We flat rate packing wheels at $20 per wheel plus a new seal.  Even new bearings on a 3500# axle would not add another $100 to it.

Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-05-19 5:38 PM (#120367 - in reply to #120345)

Extreme Veteran

Hosspuller - I just took the time to read your bearing packing instructions.  Great job!! Good pictures, very easy to understand.  You covered all the bases.  Need a job?
Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-19 6:55 PM (#120368 - in reply to #120345)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the feedback Kay.  I appreciate your opinion.  It sounded a bit high to me also, but I didn't know for sure.
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-05-20 1:38 AM (#120372 - in reply to #120345)

Elite Veteran

Hosspuller did an excellent job on the article. I've noticed many dealers are switching from EZ Lube Dexters to the Dexter self adjusting brake axle for the same price.

I've had a new trailer with the same problem Hosspuller describes. Dexter greases the EZ Lube in their factory, the trailer manufacture pumps the grease gun a couple times and then the trailer dealer to be sure, pumps a little more grease in. When we tested my new trailer on a Road Simulator for brakes, 3 of the 4 brakes failed rolling resistance.

But on the other hand, I've ordered my last three trailers with EZ Lube. I put around 30,000 miles on my trailers a year. Every 5000 miles, I run one set of axles up on ramps at a time and pump the grease gun 4 to 5 pumps while spinning the wheel. This works for me, I haven't had a trailer wheel bearing go out in decades.

For most folks, I'd recommend what Hosspuller describes in his article, taking the wheel apart, hand packing the bearings and inspecting brake wear, magnets and seals.

New aluminum wheels do need torqued at least every couple hundred miles or more. Aluminum wheels stretch and contract. I check my wheels after a day of driving for several months, when the wheels are new. New trailers have lots of stickers on the fenders about torquing the wheels. NATM is big on the issue. My unofficial survey shows 1/3 of trailer owners will have a wheel come off their trailer from loose lug nugs or bearing failure.

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-20 7:56 AM (#120379 - in reply to #120345)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks.  I'm going back and forth between doing it myself so that I learn all about it and having it done.  Hosspuller's article is great.

On the eze lube, if I were to repack everything now following Hosspuller's article (which I think is necessary now), and wanted to give it some pumps during the year, would I be safe in using the ese lube feature if I put it up, spin the wheel and watche to see that there isn't any coming out and am careful to wipe off any that does come out? Or is that already too much?

Thanks for the information on the wheels and toque too. I think I'll keep my ugly old steel wheels and try to make them look a little better. 

I really appreciate all of the information.  This is something that I don't know how I would learn elsewhere.

Thanks!

jakefreese
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-05-20 10:45 AM (#120384 - in reply to #120345)

Regular

I have not had any problems on the ez lubes I have on 3 trailers, I drive around 10 or so miles then lube them to make sure the grease is warmed up. I only put in 3-4 pumps, and if you experience it hard to pump or do not see grease coming back out STOP. I also clean all the old grease out. I just went through the bearings and brakes on our trailer that has about 100k miles on it, the bearings were pretty good but I replaced them anyway just to make sure. On the grease types If I remember correctly dexter uses a #2 lithium complex high speed wheel bearing grease. which is what I use also. The largest bad grease mix is polyrea and lithium grease they will completely destroy all the metal surfaces they touch, it becomes a nasty metal eating chemical reaction.
Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-20 5:07 PM (#120397 - in reply to #120345)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the additional information. Who'd have thought ez lube would be so not easy? :)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)