'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Buffer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-18 9:45 AM
2 replies, 3297 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-05-17 12:09 PM (#120277)
Subject: Buffer

Elite Veteran

What is a good brand of a buffer to get for polishing the aluminum on my LQ..OR can I buy the pads that fit onto a drill end...I started the back end by hand..Well after a few hrs I have no hand left..tooo much wax on wax off for these tired old arms...only 27 more feet to go..... ;-)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-05-18 9:14 AM (#120307 - in reply to #120277)
Subject: RE: Buffer

Expert

There are a dozen brand names that will do the job. Generally, the larger the buffing pad, the slower the RPMs you will want. The better ones will have variable or multi speeds. Buffing generates a lot of heat, which is lessened by the lower speeds.

There is a difference between a buffer and polisher, and depending on what you want to do, will determine which to purchase. A buffer is a heavy duty, high amperage machine, that is used with various compounds to smooth and erode uneven surfaces. Many double as sanders with the variable speeds, and most feature a circular action with large pads.

If you want an applicator for waxing and polishing, there are many lighter duty machines available, that are specific for this application. Some even are 12v models and can be plugged into a cigarette lighter. These are available with circular actions, as well as random orbit models. The random orbit models excel in polishing, as most of the swirl marks generated with circular machines are eliminated.

If you presently have a random orbit sander, buffing and polishing pads can be used to convert the sander to a polisher. Even though most are high speed (~12K OPM), their dual action and smaller diameter pads, keep the surface cool enough for polishing.

So, if you want a heavy duty sander/ buffer, purchase a name brand, industrial, multi speed unit from many sources; big box stores, mail order, Internet etc. If you want a waxer /polisher, WalMart. KMart, auto parts stores, all sell inexpensive Chinese variants that will do well for a weekend warrior.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-05-18 9:45 AM (#120309 - in reply to #120277)
Subject: RE: Buffer

Expert

Not being able to easily edit is a pain.

I didn't answer your question about a pad for your drill. Yes they are available in small diameters and will help with polishing. BUT, most are small, poorly made bonnets, constructed of cotton or some cheap materials that quickly deteriorate. It would be a long and frustrating experience to use these on a whole trailer. It would take many to complete the job, and probably cost more than one good bonnet.  The better bonnets that are used for metal work, are made of lamb's wool. They last a long time and are washable.

The foam pads you see being used to buff out automotive paints, are for finer work, and are available in several stiffnesses depending on the particular part of the buffing that is being accomplished. They generally are not used on bare metals.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)