'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Exiss Sport question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-10 8:33 PM
10 replies, 10011 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lou
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2010-05-09 7:37 PM (#119944)
Subject: Exiss Sport question

Regular

My daughter and I are wanting to upgrade from our steel S & H with a two foot shortwall to something a step above.  We have found a 2005 Exiss Sport which has everything we are wanting in a trailer.  I have read some of the older posts concerning the sport models and wanted to see your opinions on this.  All we are looking for is safety for us and the horses and something dependable to use. W want an AC, large enough dressing area for a fridge, and some cabinets, electric and basic comfort. We haul two horses, probably one or two days a week, with the mileage being less than 10 miles one way.  Sometimes we go about 45 miles to camp and that's it.

We want to get out of the two ft shortwall we are in and get in something bigger with a rear tack, and AC which this trailer we have found has.  It has the stud wall for the first stall (an aluminum type addition on the bottom), has insulation in the dressing room, paneling, rear tack, ac with heat, and is the length box I have been looking for, which is 16 ft.  Has some cabinetry built in, there is no fridge, or microwave or anything like that, but those aren't necessities for what we do. I have a small fridge to put in when we need it.

I am terrified of pulling a long trailer in traffic and this coming year my daughter will be showing goats at some of the major shows in Texas and we are wanting something we can stay in and be easy to pull and get around.  I know several of you talked about the trailers not holding up for a lot of hard work, I don't know the past on this trailer, it looks nice in the horse area and the dressing room, couldn't see any missing parts. Underneath looked good as far as I know Asking price is $12500.  Any suggestions or comments?  Thanks a million.  Lou

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-05-09 9:14 PM (#119946 - in reply to #119944)
Subject: RE: Exiss Sport question

Expert

There have been many Exiss "Sport" model trailers sold. There have been no complaints listed by dissatisfied owners of these trailers, within these threads, that I know of. The Sport model is built well of quality materials, but is not as heavily constructed as the "Event" series.

When people say that they would not hold up under heavy usage, that would include not only the Exiss Sport trailers, but many other brands and models as well. Unless your travels include exclusive off roading and travels of 50K + a year, you'll find the construction is quite adequate. It is not a top of the line trailer, nor is it priced as one. It's a good trailer, with a good reputation that should be adequate and reliable for your needs.

riverrat69
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2010-05-10 2:47 AM (#119951 - in reply to #119944)

Regular

We have a 2007 Exiss Sport 4 horse. It has been hauled all over the midwest and has held up well. When we were looking to upgrade to a gooseneck from a bumperpull, we found this one and it suited our needs. Not the most expensive, but not the least expensive too! I have found ours to be well put together, with no problems over the last 3 years. 2008 hauled to 29 shows!  Our horses all load easy in to it and it pulls and rides smooth. We originally were looking to purchase a 3 horse, but the difference in price was pretty insignificant, so we went with the 4 horse with a stud wall and use the 4th stall for storage. There has been quite a few threads in the past on HTW bashing the Exiss Sport model,(and I read them all before buying) but we are real happy with our purchase. Just recently purchased a 2 horse 4 Star and have been equally happy with it as well.

If the "Sport" model fits your needs and your budget, go get it.

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-05-10 9:35 AM (#119962 - in reply to #119944)

Extreme Veteran

The issues I have seen in the past with these trailers has been leaking. The leakage occured where the roof and wall joined. My friend had 2, an 04 similar to what you describe and it leaked. They resealed the roof themselves. They traded it for a big 06 LQ model and it leaked behind the cabinetry and ruined it. Exiss came and got the trailer and had to replace alot of the LQ due to water damage. They fixed the roof. We were trailer shopping in 2006 and it happened to be raining. Opened the door to a 6 ft short wall shell and water was pouring down the long wall side from the roof/wall seam and pooling in the floor. We bought a Cimarron. Trailer shopping in the rain is a good idea.
blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-05-10 10:59 AM (#119971 - in reply to #119962)

Extreme Veteran

I would say if it fits what you want buy it.  I grew up in the cattle business and I have seen trailers used and abused all my life....30 miles an hour through the pasture to get ahead of that cow that is headed for the gate, loaded so full it takes three guys and a stick to get the door closed, backed into the tractor that was parked in a bad spot, bounced down every poor road in the county...I have seen it all.  I know some people live in some rough country but I always chuckle a little bit when I see discussions about horse trailers being able to take abuse.  For the most part people drive them a few miles down a county road to the highway, across the interstate to a show, maybe hit a pothole along the way and then back.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-05-10 11:50 AM (#119977 - in reply to #119944)

Expert

I would say you should be fine.  My experience with that brand does not come from others, just our use with a 2001.........no leaks or issues and it has been parked outside since 2006.  The leak situation is not brand specific,....altho aluminum is not permeable by water, any seams that are on any trailer that are caulked are subject to caulk failure and thus a leak could then happen.  Whatever trailer you wind up with, it is a good ideal to scrub and recaulk seams (do as I say, not as I do, as we have not touched the caulking on our trailer in 5 years!!)  Most aluminum trailers have a one piece roof, which sounds lovely, but there are numerous vents and the AC that are up there that require caulking around, often by the after market conversion company, or the do it yourselfer LQ installer, and it is these areas that are the weak link in any trailer.  The only friends trailer that I know that had any leaks was a 4 star, and their construction is impeccable, just a caulk issue on an older trailer...
lou
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2010-05-10 12:50 PM (#119982 - in reply to #119944)

Regular

Thank you all for your rsponses.  I am scared to death to spend this much on a trailer, but it is everything we have been wanting, and instead of a little step up, it is a large step up for us.  I am a single mom and it is just me and my teenage daughter so I want something safe to haul and not have to repair all the time.  It has been used, but not abused, that I can tell, tires are good on it, just wanted opinions as I did some reading on the old threads.

Thank you all very much

Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2010-05-10 4:29 PM (#119993 - in reply to #119944)

Extreme Veteran

Get what you want the first time. If you don't, you may be stuck and not be able to step up again, or sell what you get. If you go ahead and make the plunge you will be happy with what you are paying your money for.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-05-10 5:07 PM (#119996 - in reply to #119971)

Expert

Originally written by blackcows on 2010-05-10 11:59 AM

I grew up in the cattle business and I have seen trailers used and abused all my life....30 miles an hour through the pasture to get ahead of that cow that is headed for the gate, loaded so full it takes three guys and a stick to get the door closed, backed into the tractor that was parked in a bad spot, bounced down every poor road in the county.../QUOTE]

It would be interesting to know the brand of trailer that survived this usage

blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-05-10 5:55 PM (#119998 - in reply to #119996)

Extreme Veteran

Friend has a 7 x 18 Featherlite...I believe its and 85, looks tough but still has a lot of life..probably traveled 500,000 miles; a cattle partner has a 7 1/2 x 24 (I think it's also a featherlite but not sure) on a 500 cow ranch, been around since mid 80's and hauled LOTS of cows, has probably made 20 trips to the Denver Stock Show, been to countless ropings and brandings...had a set of axles a few years ago and with a acid wash it looks pretty good.  There is probably a similar story on a thousand ranches in the west.  I think one of the most common saying around here when loading cows is "I think we can fit one more"
lou
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2010-05-10 8:33 PM (#120000 - in reply to #119944)

Regular

Well, just my luck, the darn thing sold this morning, been on the lot nearly two months and when I get serious, it goes.  Back to the drawing board.  Thanks again for all the advice.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)