'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
new horse schooling in the trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-12 1:41 PM
0 replies, 1977 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-05-12 1:41 PM (#120060)
Subject: new horse schooling in the trailer

Expert

I recently purchased a new horse...4 yr old green broke arabian. When I picked him up he had never been off the farm or loaded before so I was pleased when he walked in. After a few hours on the road,he was relaxed,munching hay in the trailer. When we got home it was late ( 12 hours later) and dark. I tired to back him out but he wouldn't do it. I figured now was not the time so we turned around and walked out. You have to know when to pick your battles and when not to. So today, a week later, I figured now was the time. Keep in mind I do not battle but just encourage..I opened the open, Fire sniffed and then walked in. He settled down and I asked him to back up..slowly..he wasn't keen on the idea but figured out there was no other way. He took a few tentive steps and I allowed him to change him mind but with the understanding I was going to ask him again. Finally took on step back and out, he popped back in. Thats ok with me..just ask again. Fire then got both legs out and down and I asked him to continue. Back in we went and we backed out three times...called it good for the day. Fire developed a trust in me..I asked him to do something scary but it was ok in the end. My plan is to do a short session after a work out when he isn't fresh. Its been seven years since I had a green horse...glad this one is taking to it easily.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)