'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Advice requested for outfitting trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-04-27 10:44 AM
19 replies, 9924 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

summit_bound
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-04-24 8:41 AM (#119295)
Subject: Advice requested for outfitting trailer

Over the winter I got myself a 4 Star LQ trailer. I have never owned a horse trailer before, let alone one with an LQ. A friend said that most people go through two or three trailers to work up to one like I got and I told him that at my age I had to go straight to the dream trailer.

So I am getting it ready for my first trip and I could use some advice about outfitting it. Obviously I need stuff like dishes, linens, bedding, kitchen implements, and I just realized the dang thing doesn't have a mirror (I'd use the polished aluminum on the front of the trailer to primp in the morning but that would scare my neighbors), but are there any specific gadgets or tools or things you bring that you've learned you can't live without in your living quarters? If it matters, I'm a 50-year-old lady and will be alone in the trailer.

As far as the horse compartment, I picked up buckets and a fork - what else do I need? What kind of haybags do you guys like?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-04-24 8:46 AM (#119297 - in reply to #119295)
Subject: RE: Advice requested for outfitting trailer

Extreme Veteran

Just get the obvious and start using it with a note pad handy so you can write down items as you think of them. A few you may not think of though are:

fly swatter, heavy duty extension cord, chemicals for holding tank, flashlight, fire starters and a way to light it, margarita mix :), just seeing if you are paying attention. 

summit_bound
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-04-24 9:37 AM (#119301 - in reply to #119297)

I think the margarita mix falls into the "just get the obvious" category. :-)
sundownerofaiken
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2010-04-24 10:03 AM (#119302 - in reply to #119295)

In addition here are a couple things I did not see mentioned

Trailer essentials: These are especially important when traveling alone, Trailer Aid for changing tires, 4 way lug wrench, any tools needed to remove your specific wheel covers or center caps, first aid kit for you, first aid kit for your horses, list of in case of emergency numbers for you and your horses placed on the trailer, roadside emergency kit including flares or a lighted triangle.

LQ essentials: It sounds silly and hardly anyone does it but I always recommend for my clients to campout in the trailer at home or a campground close to home before they ever take the LQ out on a trip. This way if you forget to bring something it’s easy to get it. Keep the owner’s manuals handy in the trailer as well as numbers for people you can call with questions. Use only RV toilet paper you can find this at any Wal-Mart in the US, (Assuming you have a 30 amp plug on your trailer), 30 amp to 15 amp adapter, 30 amp to 50 amp adapter, potable water hose, filter for the hose, pressure regulator for the hose.

Hope this helps get you started

Rick
Sundowner of Aiken
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-04-24 10:24 AM (#119304 - in reply to #119295)

Expert

In addition to other ideas above, I like the wrangler hay bag, rather than hay net.  Rubber boots!  Boot jack!  Membership in US Rider.  Tire air pressure gauge.  Mosquito repellent, patio mat, small whisk broom and dust pan (try as we might, we still track stuff into the LQ)  Banamine and bute paste.  Perhaps a spare used horseshoe, would be easy for farrier to reapply in a "lost shoe" emergency.  A roll of vet wrap.  A package of cable zip ties, trash bags.  Deflappers and tie down for awning.  Folding chairs and small folding table or two. Water hoses for trailer fresh water input.  two or three of those hose Y's that let you hook up 2 hoses to one faucet. 

Your prescriptions in their original bottles.  Lip balm, ibuprofen or similar.  DVD player and movies, if it rains.  Depending on your eating situation, easy precooked possible things, microwavable snacks.  Headlight style flashlight (frees your hands for late night horse checks or untacking etc), glow sticks.  Info sheet for horse, as in who you would use as vet, any mannerisms or conditions (if you were unconscious, they might need to know he was head shy or did not tie well etc) Info sheet for you, emergency info, contact info, allergies, list of meds. Those sheets in a ziplock bag in your saddle bag and jeans could really help in what we hope is an emergency you never have!  Those reflective triangle traffic things to set by the trailer in case you have to be stopped on the shoulder.

Edited by flyinghfarm 2010-04-24 10:26 AM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-04-24 10:27 AM (#119305 - in reply to #119295)

Expert

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=13214
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-04-24 1:25 PM (#119310 - in reply to #119295)

Expert

If you plan on being gone for days at a time you need pretty much what you want at home.You can buy much of the kitchen stuff at Salvation army or other resell outlets.If you are doing alot of cooking, you'll need pots,pans and utensils as well as the dry goods but if you are more of a microwave/cold sandwich type...plan accordingly. Bathroom needs are easy to pick up and choose which you need. I figured out to buy a separate blower dryer,towels,flat iron and make up set etc and I leave that right in the trailer instead of hauling stuff back and forth to the house. I like the extension cord idea..I have two with me. I bought a set of plastic drawers to keep stuff in since my trailer doesn't have alot of cupboard space. Plan on a tire wrench and a tool box with screw drivers,hammers,pliers and duct tape. All in all- over time you will discover what you need.
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-04-24 2:18 PM (#119311 - in reply to #119310)

Veteran

Lots of great advice above-- US Rider is a Must!!

What we did is keep a notepad in the LQ and if it was something we forgot-- or didn't have ( our first season was last year) I would write it down so I would have it for the next trip.

I bought lots of the kitchen items from places like- Everything's a dollar- Big Lots etc and have my kitchen fully (well almost) stocked and just keep everything in there year round.

Have fun!!!!!

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-04-24 4:21 PM (#119317 - in reply to #119295)

Elite Veteran

paper towels, paper plates and plastic flatware. I don't wash anything I don't have to when I'm at a horse show. I second the idea of a test run overnight camping trip. You don't really have to go anywhere, just make dinner in the trailer, sleep in it, get up the next morning, go through all your every day routines and you will quickly figure out what you don't have in the trailer that you will need. When I first got a LQ trailer I put together an Excel spreadsheet with sections for every part of the trailer listing everything that needed to be in the trailer for an overnight trip. Then I could check things off as they got loaded and could quickly see what was left on my packing to-do list. After a while you can do this on autopilot but at first it was sure handy.
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-04-24 4:59 PM (#119318 - in reply to #119295)

Regular

Maybe I missed it, but are you asking for what to take to shows or to take camping?  I know there's plenty of overlap but there are several things that are unique to each (I don't go to shows but I can't believe there's a big need for firewood ;

If you're talking camping, is it developed or rustic?  Will you need some type of wheelbarrow, is it provided, are you supposed to scatter manure / hay, deposit it somewhere or take it with you?  Will you need your own picket line and associated items or do they provide it, corrals, stalls? 

Cooking style - entirely in the trailer, over the open fire, or somewhere in between?  We're discovering the magic and joys of the dutch oven but maybe you are happy microwaving leftovers. 

I've often thought a folding step stool would be really handy at the moment, but I never seem to remember to pack one, always make do with upside down buckets. 

And I vote for hay bags, Tough 1 I think is the brand I've had for about a decade now.

summit_bound
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-04-24 10:04 PM (#119326 - in reply to #119295)

This is exactly the kind of information I was hoping for - thank you everybody! I am going through this thread and writing down every suggestion. (Oh and by the way, I am a camper, not a show person.) This is invaluable.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-04-25 12:50 PM (#119331 - in reply to #119295)

Expert

those plastic folding stepstools, at least 2, are wonderful to have, double as end tables outside, too
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2010-04-25 1:11 PM (#119332 - in reply to #119295)

Extreme Veteran

I'd like to add extra drinking water hoses(s) and a 30 amp extension cord. Also handy is a folding TV table. I find it's great around the campfire for snacks/drinks/marshmallows, etc.

Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-04-26 10:23 AM (#119376 - in reply to #119295)

Regular

You've had good replies to I won't repeat what people have said, but just add my two-bits.

Tack room - don't forget water buckets and a method to fasten them to the trailer. Hay bags are better than hay nets. Extra halter and rope for each horse in case something gets broke. Lunge line, lunge whip. All your tack including saddle, various blankets (I bring extras in case of problems) headstalls. A rain blanket or such in case it rains at night and your horse needs protection (most people don't have their horses sleep in the trailer). A horse first aid kit which includes bute, bandages and contact numbers for vet. A stepping stool/mounting block (comes in handy for many things, including saddling real tall horses!) your feed (You might carry it in the front stall) which includes hay, alfalfa cubes, grain, etc. Any suppliments your horse, and always take loose salt (I add to grain to encourage them to keep drinking) Twitch (in case of health emergency), hoof clippers in case of problem. Multi-purpose tool which includes a wire cutter. Fork, push broom for the back of the trailer, scoop shovel, wheelbarrel. You should be able to carry all this in your tackroom.

Yourself: All your personal clothes and items, including extras in case you get wet. Rain coat, gloves, head covering, helmet in case of bad weather. A big variety of clothing so you can layer. Warm pajamas at night so you don't need to run the heater too much. Toiletries such as soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. Pain killers, Gravol, cough/cold meds, antihistimines, any prescription meds, eye drops. Personal first aid kit.

Trailer: Stick to paper plates and disposable silverware and cups if possible, saves on dishwashing. Dishwashing soap, towels and clothes. Oven mitts. Fresh water (try to pack enough for your horse in case of emergency, too) Clean bucket to carry water for yourself if necessary. Basic appliances such as toaster and kettle. Cooking pots, bowls, utensils as needed for what you'll eat. Snacks to pack on the trail. Flyswatter, dustpan and broom. Throw rug at door so you can shake out dust instead of sweeping it all the time. Extra bedding in case it gets mighty cold. Matches, axe, flashlight, cell phone, emergency contact numbers. Alarm clock. Indoor/outdoor rug to put outside at door. Lawn chairs, fold up table. Kleenex, paper towel, toilet paper, chemical for toilet. Cleaning spray.

And money and a credit card! Oh, extra set of keys for truck and trailer. Good luck and have fun!  

longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2010-04-26 10:51 AM (#119379 - in reply to #119295)

Extreme Veteran

I like hay nets also, especially the ones with mesh on the bottom and sides. I also got a Bisell Natural Sweeper. It's one of those push sweepers that is small and the handle folds for easy storage. It is great in small areas.
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-04-26 3:57 PM (#119389 - in reply to #119295)

Veteran

summitbound,  I'll add a few additional, clicker lighter for stove, moisture proof match container, scissors, and, one of the battery Coleman lanterns for your table.  Don't forget your fly spray!
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2010-04-26 4:06 PM (#119391 - in reply to #119295)

Extreme Veteran

Get a nice size piece of indoor/outdoor carpet to place in front of the door. You can also put a door mat on top of this but the bigger piece of carpet is real nice to have. We have a portable grill table that comes apart, folds up and fits into a bag. That is handy as well. I like using outdoor foggers for both the people part of the campground and my horse area. Gallon sized zip lock bags are great for lots of things while camping. If you have left over food, use the bags. Saves space in the fridge.
summit_bound
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-04-26 9:57 PM (#119403 - in reply to #119295)

Thank you all so much. I have just finished typing up an excel spreadsheet - it's amazing how much stuff one has to bring to be comfortable and safe.

I'm taking my first trip this weekend. Hope in all my excitement I don't forget to bring my horse :-) You guys are great - thanks.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-04-26 10:45 PM (#119404 - in reply to #119295)

Expert

Have fun!  Remember feed and hay, and your Coggins tests!  And a camera!!!
oklahoma horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-04-27 10:44 AM (#119426 - in reply to #119295)

Regular

I am still learning too. But I keep my trailer stocked, packed and ready to go with those essentials. You can find horse-themed RV mats on Ebay that are great. They can be easily swept off and stay clean. Extra hoses are good, extension cords, adapters. You might stock up with some canned goods too and non-perishables. I bought a lot of my stuff at Dollar Tree and Dollar General. I have a "house" broom and a tack room broom (to sweep shavings/poop) out of the horse part. I keep a pad of paper in mine and whenever I am running out of something, I put it on a list. I also made a list after my first few camping trips on other things I needed. It's kind of like playing house! You are going to have so much fun!!!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)