'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
end of the trail campground

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-06-10 3:47 PM
3 replies, 5595 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

millironk
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-04-06 10:23 PM (#118526)
Subject: end of the trail campground

Regular

anyone been to end of the trail campground by wildcat mountain state park in wisconsin? Comments?

thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
dkhunter04
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2010-04-07 2:45 PM (#118561 - in reply to #118526)
Subject: RE: end of the trail campground

Regular

We stayed there for a long weekend last year.  Really nice people running the place.  Everything I've ever read was positive.  There is a long steep climb up the driveway to the main campground, so be sure to keep up enough speed.  Some of the camp sites are less than level.  You'll need trail passes to ride in the park and in the Kickapoo Reserve.  There was a small charge to ride some the private trails too.  Passes are available at the camp.  Very scenic riding with some steep hills, so your mounts should be in reasonable shape.  Not a lot of rock so you can probably get by without shoes.  Some road riding to get to the Wildcat State Park trails from the campground.  We plan to go back.  I hope this helps.
Jumpergal
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2010-05-16 6:59 AM (#120213 - in reply to #118526)

My TB's very first trailride was there.  The people running the place (Jan and Moose) are VERY nice people and keep up the place very nice.  We put our two horses in one of their paddocks over night and it worked out great. They have highlines that we used some of the time. Their stalls would have been too small for my 17 hand horse, but for small horses they would be fine.  They have fire pits and picnic tables.  They have running water and clean out houses.  I think there is a place where you can shower but we didn't use that.  They have electrical hookups for trailers.  There were very few bugs there.

The trails were very fun and very picturesque.  Some trails were through beautiful fields and some trails were rocky and very steep, but my rookie trail horse did just fine.  There were a few bridges over water also and my horse went right across.

Before you head up the VERY steep driveway into the campground, put your truck into four-wheel drive and gun it until you're at the top of the hill.  They've had to pull rigs up the hill with a tractor.

I would definitely like to ride there again, even though it's about a 7-hour drive for me.

Here's a picture between my horse's ears on the trail at Kickapoo.

Edited by Jumpergal 2010-05-16 7:02 AM
IndyRacer
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-06-10 3:47 PM (#121037 - in reply to #118526)

I've taken my horses there after the Barrel season several times. It is a very nice campground and the trails were perfect for my very nervous mare. I didn't have to worry about being dumped off a cliff, or worse, her going with me. The hills were very scenic. We used a lot of Fly spray last year for sure.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)