'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Corrosion and Mold

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-02-16 10:22 AM
6 replies, 3503 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Racin In The Rain
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-02-15 4:12 PM (#116614)
Subject: Corrosion and Mold

New User

I have an 02 Platinum Horse Trailer that I absolutely love. However, I live in Washington where it is damp and cold from Fall to Spring, and the trailer is stored outdoors.

I usually don't haul anywhere in the Winter (for about 3 months or so). During this time, I notice mold begins to develop on the divider pads and the screens in the drop down windows. Also, a white "dust" or "film" appears on the dividers, which I am assuming is corrosion. How do I get this to stop?

Before I start hauling again I give everything a good scrub down with hot water and soap, but I am concerned about the long term damage this may be doing.

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-02-15 5:15 PM (#116617 - in reply to #116614)
Subject: RE: Corrosion and Mold

Extreme Veteran

For mold I would was it down with diluted bleach. If the powder is on aluminum then an acid wash.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-02-15 9:44 PM (#116634 - in reply to #116614)

Expert

Originally written by Racin In The Rain on 2010-02-15 5:12 PM

I have an 02 Platinum Horse Trailer that I absolutely love. However, I live in Washington where it is damp and cold from Fall to Spring, and the trailer is stored outdoors.

Also, a white "dust" or "film" appears on the dividers, which I am assuming is corrosion. How do I get this to stop?

Before I start hauling again I give everything a good scrub down with hot water and soap, but I am concerned about the long term damage this may be doing.

If the dust washes off and the base metal is not discoloured, it is not corrosion. If you see whitish, black or gray spots, then you may have some corrosion. Corrosion will usually not be found much above the floor line with an absence of urine.

If the divider has a dullish continuous film, this is oxidation. The film usually cannot be removed with mild soap and water. It is a natural process in which aluminum protects itself, by producing the film in the presence of oxygen. Many people will remove it with brighteners, which also removes the protection. Then the oxidation process starts again.

You will not hurt the aluminum by washing it with soap and water.

Racin In The Rain
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-02-15 11:24 PM (#116640 - in reply to #116614)

New User

Racin In The Rain
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-02-15 11:36 PM (#116641 - in reply to #116614)

New User

Okay - so the bleach won't hurt the aluminum if I get some on it? I was going to spray down the dividers, then I was concerned about some of the overspray running onto the aluminum. I wasn't sure what would happen if bleach got on the aluminum, so I have stuck with good 'ol soap and hot water.The white "dust" is not dirt. I have no idea what it is or how/why it appears. The trailer has airflow dividers, and this stuff appears on the bars and on the solid part of the dividers near the pads. It does wash off cleanly, meaning there are no spots left. So, I guess if this is not corrosion, I don't have anything to worry about. Just wash it down and we should be good to go. One more quick question - I was reading posts about aluminum flooring and there were references to holes in the floor. There are 3 or 4 very small holes near the back of the trailer. I assumed these were put there by the manufacturer. They are the same diameter and in a line. (I bought the trailer used and they were there when I purchased it). Is this normal? If not, did I assume incorrectly and perhaps we have an issue?Thanks again for your help!

Edited by Racin In The Rain 2010-02-15 11:41 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-02-16 8:46 AM (#116651 - in reply to #116641)

Expert

I was reading posts about aluminum flooring and there were references to holes in the floor. There are 3 or 4 very small holes near the back of the trailer. I assumed these were put there by the manufacturer. They are the same diameter and in a line. (I bought the trailer used and they were there when I purchased it). Is this normal? If not, did I assume incorrectly and perhaps we have an issue?Thanks again for your help!

Holes caused by corrosion will be irregular and ragged looking. A soldiered line of similar diameter holes, was most likely installed by the manufacturer to drain urine. If the urine is allowed to remain trapped under a mat, and no air can reach the aluminum, it is a likely spot for the corrosion process to start.

In the corner of one of our trailers, the flooring trapped urine. By drilling a few holes across the affected areas, the fluids can now drain and the potential problem is eliminated.

Having strategically placed drain holes in the flooring, is an excellent way to lessen any corrosion damage.

Gard

Racin In The Rain
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-02-16 10:22 AM (#116654 - in reply to #116614)

New User

Good deal.Thanks so much for your help!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)