'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Tires

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-03-17 10:48 AM
4 replies, 3044 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Juliblee
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-03-16 1:44 PM (#117686)
Subject: Trailer Tires

I have a 2005 horse trailer with tires that look great...except I had a blow-out on the interstate and now I am concerned. How do you make the decision to replace the one blown tire vs getting four new tires? Does age decide that?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-03-16 2:39 PM (#117690 - in reply to #117686)
Subject: RE: Trailer Tires

Elite Veteran

Several posters on here will tell you that normal trailer tire life is 5 years. Since we don't want to take a chance of ruining our trailers, we replace every 5 years regardless if the tires look fine. We do travel a lot, so our tires get some use. And we are getting new trailer tires next week since I'm running on Trash (Trail) America brand on my LQ.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-03-16 7:43 PM (#117703 - in reply to #117686)

Expert

If they are 5 years old, replace the whole set.... Don't forget about that spare!!!

More tire info... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

http://rvtipoftheday.com/rv-trailers/travel-trailer-tire-speed-ratings

I would stay away from the "private brand" Chinese built trailer tires like the ones that "ponytammy" has and the ones that probably came on your trailer. "LT" truck tires work well in most situations. It just depends on the load you're carrying. Some good shopping info below.

http://www.tiredefects.com/private-label-private-brand-tires.cfm

rstall13
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2010-03-17 8:04 AM (#117716 - in reply to #117686)

Goodyear makes a good ST tire in several different sizes. Also don't forget when replacing tires, that they at least meet the minimum they need to, based on the GVWR printed on your VIN tag.
Juliblee
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-03-17 10:48 AM (#117725 - in reply to #117686)

Again this site has helped me figure out what to do. I will replace my tires (all 5) on the trailer. It was bad enough having a blow-out but to be on the interstate with tractor tailers sweeping by was starting to upset the horse. That is something we all should think about when we get into such a situation that it does impact the horse/s when stopped on a highway.
Fortunately I was able to limp off the interstate as I was about 1/2 mile from an exit. I think the whole situation could have been worse but one I never want to be in again, so changing all tires will put me in a much safer environment allowing me to enjoy what I love to do....go trail riding.
Now to fix the fender it destroyed.
thanks again for your help.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World