'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Smoothing the ride for the critters

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-01-22 5:06 AM
11 replies, 5241 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dgeesaman
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-01-03 6:52 AM (#114781)
Subject: Smoothing the ride for the critters

Regular

We currently have a 2h slant w/ tack by CircleJ and a Ford F-250 SRW to pull. The trailer has leaf springs and bumper pull.

I see that this might be the roughest ride out there for the horses, and that this can affect their ability to perform. Would you agree this is worth some attention?

If so, which of these items will help the most:
- from bumper pull to standard gooseneck
- a shock-absorbing hitch (gooseneck or bumper pull)
- rubber torsion-beam axles
- a bigger, heavier trailer

Thanks,

Dave
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-01-03 11:56 AM (#114794 - in reply to #114781)
Subject: RE: Smoothing the ride for the critters

Expert

Originally written by dgeesaman on 2010-01-03 6:52 AM

We currently have a 2h slant w/ tack by CircleJ and a Ford F-250 SRW to pull. The trailer has leaf springs and bumper pull. I see that this might be the roughest ride out there for the horses, and that this can affect their ability to perform. Would you agree this is worth some attention? If so, which of these items will help the most: - from bumper pull to standard gooseneck - a shock-absorbing hitch (gooseneck or bumper pull) - rubber torsion-beam axles - a bigger, heavier trailer Thanks, Dave

All depends on how far you haul to ride....  The springs on trailer have been around for years and has worked.  However my opinion If I liked the truck and trailer I would upgrade the axles to rubber torsion axles. (cheaper than a trailer is).  If the funds are there and you are ready to upgrade, then upgrade to a trailer with the better axles and go with a gooseneck and this will kick some weight toward the front of the truck and offer alittle better ride too....(no bucking feel when loaded heavy in the front)

dgeesaman
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-01-03 3:05 PM (#114802 - in reply to #114794)

Regular

Thanks for the feedback. We just got the truck and aside from maybe adding airbags can stay as-is. Obviously it's more than enough truck for this trailer.So far we've never towed more than 3h driving, but in the next year or two I expect we'll do up to 12hour drives.Re: gooseneck, it's definitely how we would go for the next/larger trailer, but we can borrow my FIL's gooseneck if we do a long haul.I didn't know you could retrofit a torsion axle. Should I contact Circle J, or are there other folks who can do it? While this trailer isn't worth doing much work to it, it already has a slightly bent axle and if the price is right I would consider it.

Edited by dgeesaman 2010-01-03 3:07 PM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-01-03 5:02 PM (#114808 - in reply to #114781)

Expert

See if you can buy axles locally. And the local source can install or recommend an installer.

If you can't find them near you. You can buy the axles online for around $600 per axle and any trailer shop should be able to install them. So it's probably a $1800 to $2000 invoice to swap them.

horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-01-04 11:11 AM (#114846 - in reply to #114781)

Veteran

dg, I've hauled several continous days at a time with an old gooseneck stocktrailer when that was all that I had.  I already had thick matts in the trailer and then, on the advice of my vet,  I bed deep, like nine, ten inches with shavings, to give extra cushion.  If you decide not to upgrade your current trailer, the shavings alone will help, providing your horses are not allergic to shavings.
chinook
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-06 2:05 PM (#114960 - in reply to #114781)

New User

Living "in the boonies", I invested in a full air-ride trailer and LOVE it. I've ridden in the trailer myself, and can feel the truck go over bumps, but when the trailer axels go over - NADA, NOTHING - when funds allow, I would also go for a full air ride hitch so it's smooth, smooth, smooth floating. In our area, we have some "less than fabulous" roads, so I do believe my horses benefit from the cushion.

The extra expense is a consideration - when pricing a trailer it was anywhere from $12,000 (high) to $7,000 extra for the air ride. The trailer has a compressor and it's own battery and it regulates itself. I can let the air out for unloading if needed. It's about 4-5" lower when the air is out.

For those just going short, single-trip distances (4-5 hours or less?) I don't think it has as much effect on the horses as it does going longer hours and for consecutive days.

If you are wondering how the ride is for your horses, consider taking a ride in the back with your horses and you'll feel, firsthand, what they endure.

JMO
Happy hauling!
dgeesaman
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-01-07 9:42 PM (#115013 - in reply to #114781)

Regular

Yeah, air ride in the trailer would be nice but would cost as much as the trailer itself. I'm optimistic that I could get a pair of 3500# torsion beam axles for under $1000.

I called Circle J and they say they use Dexter axles. I see that Dexter has a rubber torsion axle so I'm going to see if I can determine if there is a drop-in replacement that way. It's a bit cold and snowy to crawl around under the trailer right now but I'll keep on this.
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-01-08 9:23 AM (#115021 - in reply to #114781)

Elite Veteran

Doug, You won't find Dexter Torflex to be true "drop in" because of how spring axles are mounted. There will need to be a mounting point right above the Torflex axle. But most likely, there is flat frame there now, so any competant welder with axle experience could fabricate this very easily. Part of the reason this will be pretty easy, is Dexter will be making the axles custom to your measurements anyway. So you can have the mounts situated right where you need/want them to be for easy mounting. The Torflex will give a better unladen ride. I don't expect you to see much difference when fully loaded as they'll be very similar.
apex6000
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2010-01-08 10:17 AM (#115025 - in reply to #114781)

Dexter makes a rubber equilizer that goes in between the axles. They call it EZ Flex Suspension. Never seen them used before. But might be worth looking into. Check their website. Appears they have them on sale.
dgeesaman
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-01-18 4:49 PM (#115428 - in reply to #115025)

Regular

Originally written by apex6000 on 2010-01-08 10:17 AM

Dexter makes a rubber equilizer that goes in between the axles. They call it EZ Flex Suspension. Never seen them used before. But might be worth looking into. Check their website. Appears they have them on sale.

Thanks, I did confirm that the equalizer matches a Dexter part number (I'm not in a hurry to climb under and inspect the axle tubes yet) and the rubber equalizer is a $89 kit. Not bad at all, I think I'll give them a try.

While it doesn't look like much, a little room for the leaf to widen can greatly soften the ride.

David
apex6000
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2010-01-18 5:15 PM (#115429 - in reply to #114781)

Let me know how it rides. I've thought about a set for my flatbed trailer. But haven't ever heard of someone's opionion of them.. Thanks
dgeesaman
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-01-22 5:06 AM (#115569 - in reply to #114781)

Regular

I ordered the Dexter EZ Flex equalizers with the wet bolts.

Based on this thread it sounds DIY'able and worthwhile.

http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/2...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)