'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Bridger Wilderness Outfitters - Pinedale Wyoming

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-01-24 10:25 PM
3 replies, 5639 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-01-05 8:29 AM (#114893)
Subject: Bridger Wilderness Outfitters - Pinedale Wyoming

Expert

Has anyone been to the Bridger Wilderness Outfitters -in  Pinedale Wyoming? They have a packing trail ride that follows the Continental Divide.

http://www.bwo.com/default.asp?menuID=

Thanks, Gard

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2010-01-05 8:11 PM (#114929 - in reply to #114893)
Subject: RE: Bridger Wilderness Outfitters - Pinedale Wyoming

Extreme Veteran

12 members of my family booked reservations three years ago in September.  We took a five day family only pack trip.  Had a truly wonderful time!  The stafff really catered to the different levels of horsemanship and experience.  The youngest rider was 17, the oldest 59.  The experience was awsome!  Can't say enough about the courtesy and professionalism of the staff.  Will do it again some day.

Marla

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-01-05 10:14 PM (#114934 - in reply to #114893)

Expert

I've never use that guide service. For that matter I've never hired any guide. So I can not speak for their services.

But I have ridden a Lot in the wind rivers. Pinedale is the main jumping off point. It's where you top off your fuel tank, get your fishing license and last minute lures. It's where you come to get a cold soda or big strawberry shake after spending a week packing eating trail food.

Within reasonable distance are 5 major trail heads that head into the Wind Rivers. Big Sandy, Boulders, Elk Hart, New Fork and Green River Lakes. These trail heads all give access to the Highline trail that transverses the Wind Rivers mountain range. If you stay on the highline trail, you will see lots of other hikers/packers. If you take any of the side trails, You will may not see another sole for days. Most of these trailheads start out at 8000 foot elevation. You can expect to cross several saddles or passes that will be 10,500 to 11,000 foot. The air gets thin up there.

Late June can be a great time to see the Winds. But it usually has lots of mosquitos, since he snow has just melted and the ground is wet.  August heat gets rid of the bugs, but you stand the chance of some big thunderstorms and monsoon season can really bring in a lot of rain. The winds have great fishing. Cutthroat and Brook trout are common. There have been many days when I've caught over 200 fish in day.

Grizzly bears can be found in the northern part of the wind rivers.  It's common to see warnings in certain areas.  Your guides should be aware of any areas of danger.  But expect to practice Bear Proof camping.

The Wind Rivers are predominately granite. It's very rocky. So your horses should be surefooted.

Edited by Painted Horse 2010-01-05 10:18 PM
Trails02
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2010-01-24 10:25 PM (#115666 - in reply to #114893)

Regular

Yes, we were there in Aug. of 2000. It was a great pack trip!! Beautiful scenery and up above the tree line at places. We signed up early for the trip and it just happened that no one else had signed up for that date and we got a private trip with a guide, rangler, and cook. We said we just wanted to ride and look at the scenery and thats what we did every day! Took lots of pic's. We spent the first night at the DC ranch and they fed us good. On the pack trip all our food was cooked on an open fire (even had steaks one night),breakfast (bacon ,eggs etc) was great and sandwiches packed for you to go out riding. At times we were above the tree line. Just a very good time if you don't mind roughing it. A collapsible bucket which come in handy for cleaning up. Slept in a tent, sleeping bags. Kitchen area was 250' from sleeping tents and food was put in trees or bear proof boxes. Staff was great!   

I think this is the last year this outfitter will be offering packtrips. So I would check it out. I would love to go back.

Correction: Don't know if it is the DC Bar Ranch or the Outfitters on their last year.

We took the 5 day pack trip and the pic of pack string going over the bridge is one place we rode also. The bridge is crossing a waterfall about halfway down the mountain. It was straight down. Awsome! Pictures don't do it justice.

Would send a couple of pic's but I haven't figured how to include them in this message.Duh!

Edited by Trails02 2010-01-25 11:15 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)