'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Rear Shocks Change out Suggestions?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-01-04 10:27 AM
5 replies, 3439 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2010-01-03 3:47 PM (#114803)
Subject: Rear Shocks Change out Suggestions?

Extreme Veteran

For no particular reason except its winter and I have no other projects going on.  I have thought to change out my rear shocks in my 05 F350 dually.  The market is slightly overwhelming and frightening and to boot the last thing I want is a new shock to get all rusty in a few months because I made a bad choice.

I am not looking for anything particular just figuring they must be getting tired as all they have done is carry heavy loads.

Any suggested brands, styles?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2010-01-03 5:25 PM (#114811 - in reply to #114803)
Subject: RE: Rear Shocks Change out Suggestions?

Extreme Veteran

Bilstein
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2010-01-03 5:31 PM (#114813 - in reply to #114803)

Extreme Veteran

I heard the sleeves rust over and the paint peels off all to soon.  Not speaking from experiance.
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2010-01-03 6:03 PM (#114814 - in reply to #114803)

Extreme Veteran

X2 on Bilsteins. I've had them on a truck for 7 or 8 years (150,000 miles) and they are fine... the boots cracked on them in the last year but that really doesn't cause a problem.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-01-04 9:44 AM (#114843 - in reply to #114803)

Expert

There are a couple of types of shocks that work well for "street" trucks.

The common two tube, low pressure type of shocks that are supplied as OEM equipment, are available in upgraded versions. Monroe has many variants that feature fluid reservoirs that are almost double the OEM specifications in their "Magnum" and "Sensatrac" series. These are relatively inexpensive shocks and are quite reliable for street and towing usage.

A heavier duty shock is a high pressure gas charged monotube design. These are rugged units and will hold up better to the constant pounding of rough roads, and heavy trailer loads. They won't fade as quickly as the two tube reservoir designs when they heat up. They commonly feature nitrogen pressures of 200#-300#, and have a smaller fluid reservoir than the larger two tube design.

The Bilstein "Heavy Duty" shocks and the Monroe "Reflex" series share the monotube gas charged construction. These are upscale shocks that will give an excellent ride under varying conditions, and especially shine when the road becomes rough and the loads are heavy.

Most OEM shocks are shot before the owners realize they are worn out. Most will need replacement before 50K are reached, sooner with bad roads and heavy trailers. It is wise to check them every so often. You might be surprised to find the rebound restriction has failed. If your truck doesn't corner as well, bounces after the bump, and mushes under a load, chances are they need replacement.

Gard

RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-01-04 10:27 AM (#114844 - in reply to #114803)

Elite Veteran

Let me throw something else in on Gard's notes. We werew all typically taught to check a shock by bouncing on one corner, and if it oscillates more than 1.5 cycles, replace the shock. With a HD truck, most of us don't have enough "posterior" to make any cycles! In a HD truck alignment shop it is customary to check a shock by relastive heat. As in- drive the truck normally. As soon as practical after stopping, feel the shock absorber. Normal shock operation will generate a degree of heat. If you feel uneven distribution from side to side, then you have found weak shock(s). You can also feel for oscillations just before a stop when loaded, as they will increase as the shocks weaken. The industry generally agrees with Gard in that 50K on a factory shock is considered worn out. And yes- most replacements are lifetime guaranteed, but don't think they last that long. If you keep it long enough, any shock will eventually wear out.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)