'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
hydraulic over electric brakes

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-01-21 9:27 PM
4 replies, 3987 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sweetas
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-01-20 7:08 AM (#115489)
Subject: hydraulic over electric brakes

Regular

Can you tell me about them? Am supposed to look at a LQ trailer this afternoon that has them. I know they give extra stopping power, stop more smoothly (at least I think I know this). What else would one need to know? Do you need a special brake controller? I recall that the brake controller that is an integral part of my truck says not to hook it up to hydraulic brakes....Thanks for your help!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-01-21 10:28 AM (#115543 - in reply to #115489)
Subject: RE: hydraulic over electric brakes

Extreme Veteran

Friend of mine has hydraulic brakes and it is always in the shop trying to trouble shoot why they do not work. They have since replaced with a special controller and haven't heard if that solved the problems.
whitewood
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2010-01-21 5:16 PM (#115561 - in reply to #115489)

Veteran

have electric over hyd brakes on my 6 horse and they are great. I have the cheapest electric brake control money can buy from redline and didn't change a thing.
metalwax
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-21 6:14 PM (#115563 - in reply to #115489)

I have electric over hydraulic brakes on 30 foot box Bloomer Trailer. Bought it in 2002. Had the brakes inspected today when I had it in for packing the bearings and new tires. They said the brake shoes have over 50% left with all 4 wearing even. They are the original brakes. One reason I think they are in such good shape is my Brake Smart Brake controller. Had it since 2004. I had to disconnect my integrated controller on my 2006 Ford to install it because they will not work on these types of brakes. If the system on the trailer you are looking at is a Carlyle, I think they have a special device that will make them work with the integrated systems. Anyway,The Brake Smart and the Max Brake that is advertised on Mr Truck  ties into the brakes of the truck and the same pressure that you apply to the truck brakes translate back to the trailer brakes for a smooth, even stop. My trailer has been pulled over 80,000 miles in the last 8 years and my current truck has 72,000 miles and those brakes are still at least 70%. They whole system stops me very well with no brake fade at all in a hard stop.

Although I have never had a problem with my truck by disconnecting the integrated system, you will want to talk to your truck dealer for more information about that. I would call Max Brake and asked them as well.

sweetas
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-01-21 9:27 PM (#115566 - in reply to #115489)

Regular

Thanks for the answers, guys!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'