'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need to replace slats - want ones that hold plexiglass

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-12-14 9:21 AM
8 replies, 9172 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dbochy
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2009-12-11 9:47 PM (#114169)
Subject: Need to replace slats - want ones that hold plexiglass

I have a stock/combo trailer - tubular steel w/alumn skin  - I need to replace the horizontal slats as they've rusted.  Do you know where I could buy new ones that would be cut to length?  I would like to get the kind that has the channel for plexiglass to use in the winter.  Also - what thickness of plexiglass do you advise using?  Thanks

D.Bochy, FL

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-12-12 9:26 AM (#114173 - in reply to #114169)
Subject: RE: Need to replace slats - want ones that hold plexiglass

Expert

"J" and "H" channels are available in most big box and hardware stores. Some installations work better with a "F" channel. The "J" and "F" channels are used for the long horizontal attachments in which the windows slide. The "H" is used vertically, where two panels butt together.

You will definitely want to consider acrylic windows over Lexan, which is prohibitively expensive. 3/16" acrylic works well and is also available at the big box, hardware and window glass stores. It is commonly sold as replacement "glass" for storm windows and is available in 8' lengths.

Gard

dbochy
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2009-12-12 5:47 PM (#114179 - in reply to #114169)

Thanks Gard....I also need to replace the old rusty slats (or whatever they are called) (the metal rails) the kind you would slide the acrylic into....I have old rusty ones on my trailer now which I'm going to unscrew and pitch...I need to replace them...and hoped to replace with the kind I could actually put acrylic glass in. 

Thanks..

D.Bochy

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-12-12 7:55 PM (#114180 - in reply to #114169)

Expert

That's what the J and F channels are used for. Make sure the extrusions you buy have a large enough spacing for the acrylic sheeting's thickness.
dbochy
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2009-12-12 8:56 PM (#114181 - in reply to #114169)

I understand the J and F Channel part.  I ALSO need to replace the whole metal rail, slat, I can't think of the right word....the rails that keep your horse from sticking his head out as you drive down the road...there are typically 3 rails...run the length of the trailer on both sides (of a stock combo)... the trailer has a solid wall up about 48"...then between the solid wall and the roof is 3 rails.....mine are metal - have rusted completely...and need to be replaced.  Is there anywhere I can buy those?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-12-12 10:08 PM (#114183 - in reply to #114169)

Expert

I would think a local dealer of your type of trailer or the manufacturer would be able to furnish replacement parts. Are they riveted or welded into place?
dbochy
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2009-12-13 8:30 PM (#114212 - in reply to #114169)

Thanks for your help.  Another reader referred me to Redneck Trailers...and they carry replacement slats (yep...they're called slats) in 3 sizes.   Appreciate all your work on this site...I've read other posts here and have picked up some great information.

Happy Trails.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-12-14 8:52 AM (#114230 - in reply to #114169)

Expert

Glad you found the parts you needed. Terminology can be difficult at times, especially when many terms are brought in from non equine related environments. As you know, the window extrusions are fastened to the upper and lower body work, and not the slats.

If you have had rusting problems and intend to keep your trailer for some length of time, there is a product that can be used to reduce further rust in the repaired areas. If your new slats will be welded to the framework, the overlapped areas tend to rust quickly.

There are some "weldable primers" available that can be sprayed onto an area that will be welded.They are Zinc based products that will not interfere with the welding process. With the application of heat, the Zinc is supposed to bond even better to the base metal. The result is an inaccessible area that has some moisture protection, where it normally would have none.

After the slats are installed, they can be final coat painted over that primer, and whatever primer you use for the whole slat. If the slats are rivited or bolted on, they can be final painted before assembly and my welding comments are for naught. Once that work is done, the track extrusions can be affixed and your windows cut to size.

BOL  Gard

apex6000
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-12-14 9:21 AM (#114233 - in reply to #114169)

Try a company called Kampco. www.kampco.com They make all of the steel parts for horse and stock trailer. If I remember right thats where Redneck gets their parts from..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)