'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
camping in PA

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-02-26 6:09 PM
2 replies, 3525 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

klthechiro
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2010-02-15 5:27 PM (#116620)
Subject: camping in PA

Regular

A group of us are going to PA for a week of trail riding and looking for good trails and campground, any sugesstions?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
djkrash
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2010-02-22 1:38 PM (#116903 - in reply to #116620)
Subject: RE: camping in PA

Contact the Pennsylvania Equine Council. They can be quite helpful. Where are you coming from, how many, how many rigs? We live in the northwest part of the state. Place called Bradford.
Zoe
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-02-26 6:09 PM (#117051 - in reply to #116620)
Subject: RE: camping in PA

Regular

Many good places to ride, depends what you are looking for.  Three places in Western PA that border and ride the Alleghney National Forest and are privately owned.  You can bring your own horses, join their organized week long rides or do your own thing.  Check out the Flying W Ranch, Cook Forest Scenic Ride and Hickory Creek Ranch, all have websites.  The first two can definitely accommodate a weeks' worth of riding.  I am not as familiar with Hickory Creek but have heard that it is a nice place. Also Big Lick Campground in Bennezette(a little more east) offers camping for horses and accommodates big rigs and is famous for being able to see the Elk herds.  There is also camping available in many State Parks and State Forest, some free & some a minimal charge.  Check with the DCNR (Dept of Conservation & Natural Resources) at http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us. Also Carolyn Cook, a good friend of mine, published two books on trails in PA  "Ride Pennsylvania HorseTrails", one covering the eastern part of the state and the other the western part of the state.  Her book gives locations, miles of trails, contact info for maps, nearby vet info, etc. and would be extremely helpful if you decide to ride an area on your own.  We live in Eastern PA (too conjested) but have land in Western PA bordering the Alleghney National Forest and bought the land because we had done week long rides at both the Flying W and Cook's Forest and enjoyed the area so much.  Please feel free to send me PM if I can be of any further help.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)