'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
BIson Horse Trailer Problems

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-11-18 5:01 PM
3 replies, 10158 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lindasfolly
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2009-11-15 12:08 AM (#113183)
Subject: BIson Horse Trailer Problems

New User

Has anyone had problems with the right rear tire and or axle on a Bison Alumasport?  WE blew a tire on a one year old trailer with barely 10,000 miles on it. (No we did not hit anything)  My horse ended up straddling the last divider in our 4 horse that had a 3" piece of steel sticking up with a bolt, spring and knob on the divider that releases the extension of that divider.  The entire bolt, spring and knob came out of the steel and ended up inside of his left hind leg.  Though we had checked the horses repeatedly after changing the tire, we were unable to see that he was still straddling the divider until we unloaded the horse in the fourth stall when we  got home.  Has anyone ever had this type of problem?  The tires were Carlisle tires and since this happened we have heard that some of the Carlisle tires have been recalled - how do I find out which ones?  Also, this is a terrible design for a divider.  The Bison is the only trailer we have found that has this type of divider - anyone have this type of problem.  My horse did not make it through the second surgery (the first to remove the bolt was successful) due to the tremendous bruising from landing on the divider and not being able to get off.

The dealer that we bought the trailer from doesn't care, the tire company has changed their mind from replacing all the tires and paying the medical bills to telling us to buy a new tire and send the blown out tire back (which we did, and Bison has not responded. 

Any help and direction would be appreciated.  I am thinking about talking to a lawyer.  I dont know if that is a good idea or not.

Thanks in advance for any help.  I am having a really hard time dealing with the loss of one of my best friends.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-11-15 9:41 PM (#113210 - in reply to #113183)
Subject: RE: BIson Horse Trailer Problems

Veteran

I'm somewhat horrified that your horse went through all that.  I'm very sorry for your loss.  In your shoes, I know I would be extremely angry at the trailer manufacturer.  Keep trying for a solution with them, but if all else fails, may I suggest you look for a lawyer?  Just mentioning that you have one could be all that it takes to get a response from the company.
Jeepplr
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2009-11-16 12:48 AM (#113214 - in reply to #113183)

Veteran

If your loss, vet, trailer repair and value of your horse, was a “significant amount”, (you will have to make that call), I would suggest a lawyer. Bison and Carlisle have lawyers protecting their interest; you will need one to protect your interests.
Do not dispose of the tires if this may end up in court, without consulting a lawyer first. The failed tire should have been retained as well.
Do not speak to either company if you plan on retaining a lawyer that is what lawyers are paid to do.

Bring a case against Bison for a bad divider design may be difficult but not impossible, a lawyer that specializes in equine issues would be my first choice for that case, at least a lawyer that has horses. The tire case can be handled by a person injury lawyer, the ones that sued Firestone would be my choice. How long was it between the blow out and when you found the horse was straddling the divider? Very important here: Should you have notice that your horse was straddling that divider because of the severity of damage to the trailer? Devils advocate, would it have been prudent, with the information you had at the time of the blowout and when changing the tire to check on all the horses? What I am trying to say, did the blow out happen on the freeway and you traveled another hour, stopped had lunch………….and did not check on the horses until X hours after the blowout. Or did you change the tire and get to a safe place to unload the horses and checked as soon as it was safe and prudent to do so? That is just a few things to think about but a good starting place.
Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-11-18 5:01 PM (#113376 - in reply to #113183)

Veteran

I'm sorry to hear this. Before I share my recent experience with Bison tires, let me say that in the past 2 1/2 years I've enjoyed the trailer, would recommend Dixie H&M to everybody, and plan to keep this trailer until I run out of horse stalls and upgrade to a bigger Bison.

I have a 2007 Bison Trail Express that was purchased new in April '07. We didn't have any problems with the factory tires until recently. We blew one on Labor Day weekend (rear driver's side) and came close to blowing another (front curb side) this past weekend. Lucky for us, we had appropriate spares both times and, on the second tire, a buddy pulling behind us let us know the tire was rolling weird so we caught it before it blew.

Both times it appeared the tire simply came apart and it has been suggested by friends and tire professionals that we send this second tire to Bison. I'm not sure about that though b/c I don't know what kind of mileage I should expect out of trailer tires. I hate to accuse someone else when I should chalk it up to "hey, tires go bad, right?" I suppose we could be at fault for not recognizing some warning sign but I'll tell you this. Before I go on my next ride in two weeks, the remaining two factory tires are getting replaced. This is just not something I want to worry about.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)