'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Dealing with the dealers is it normal?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-11-18 9:29 AM
6 replies, 3248 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Jovi
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2009-11-17 8:20 PM (#113312)
Subject: Dealing with the dealers is it normal?

Hi again!When buying from a dealer and they have the price on the trailer, is it considered normal to try and deal the price lower?I know when buying a car its the normal thing to do but not too sure about horse trailers!Cheers :)Lee :) :)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-11-18 5:33 AM (#113325 - in reply to #113312)
Subject: RE: Dealing with the dealers is it normal?

Expert

Absolutely. It's just like any other major purchase.

I don't know how many dealers you have in Australia, but in the states, I have called dealers several hundred miles away to find a good deal.

Edited by HWBar 2009-11-18 5:37 AM
rstall13
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-11-18 6:33 AM (#113330 - in reply to #113325)

Something you want to remember is; you need to be prepared to take it back to the dealer you bought it from to get it serviced. If you drive hundreds of miles to buy it, I wouldn't expect the local dealer to do the servicing on it....that's not fair.
Jovi
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2009-11-18 6:49 AM (#113332 - in reply to #113312)

Thanks guys!I'm aware that if I buy a trailer from the USA that the warranty is not going to be used. Its something I've factored into the purchase.I understand what the true market value is thanks to Edmonds.com for cars, how much less should I offer a trailer dealer?Here you pay full price.........period!!! For trailers but cars you can haggle them down.Thanks again!!! :DCheersLee :D
figero
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-11-18 8:51 AM (#113339 - in reply to #113332)

Regular

what ever dealer you use make sure they are willing to go the extra mile and get your trailer into a container and get it shipped. I have done that and it is a major job.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-11-18 8:57 AM (#113341 - in reply to #113312)

Expert

How well you can strike a "deal" with a business person will depend on the market conditions. If there are several businesses selling the item you want, they will have to compete for your patronage. If they are the only purveyor of what you need, you will pay their price.

The economy will play a major part with your ability to effect a lower price. When a dealer's sales falls off, he has to reduce his costs to maintain his business. One way is to reduce his inventory costs. By lowering his price, he hopes to increase sales.

Your particular situation is not particularly advantageous. You have a limited source, a desire for a product that isn't readily available, and will probably have to purchase from a specialized dealer with little competition.

You should always ask " is this your best price? ". A majority of the time it is not, and you can save some of your hard earned dollars. Have ready some reasons why you think he should sell at a lower price; the economy, competition etc. Don't say anything about a "rip off" or be confrontational and expect a smiling response.  If he says "no", you're in no worse shape than when you started.

Gard

DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-11-18 9:29 AM (#113344 - in reply to #113312)

Veteran

sent you a PM

Bartley Heath
bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
Buy Factory Direct at DoubleDTrailers.com

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread