'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Using a GPS on trails

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-11-07 6:38 PM
4 replies, 4149 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Saddlebredlover
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-09-02 8:28 AM (#110215)
Subject: Using a GPS on trails

Regular

I'm thinking of purchasing a GPS to use on trails down in southern missouri.  Does anyone use a GPS?  I've noticed you can buy maps to load on your GPS that gives you topographical maps of different areas.  Has anyone had luck using a GPS and downloaded map on the trail? I sure could use some tips on purchasing a GPS and also would like to hear from someone who uses a downloaded map.  THANKS!  Natalee

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sundancer's Sidekick
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-09-05 12:07 PM (#110313 - in reply to #110215)
Subject: RE: Using a GPS on trails

I have used a GPS to record travels on horseback, but not a mapping unit. The screen on handheld GPS units is quite small so you will want to shop for the largest screen you can get. Make sure topo maps are available for all the areas you want to ride, and that software is included for transferring maps to your unit. Different makes use varying formats and protocols for loading. Units that can export recorded data in GPX format will enable sharing trips with nearly any desktop geospatial software including GoogleEarth.

An external antenna will help, GPS unit goes in shirt pocket, antenna velcroed to top of your hat for better reception.

Have fun, but don't be too surprised to see that the trail you record deviates some from that on the map. A multitude of inaccuracies exist in both available maps and in consumer grade GPS.

http://gpsinformation.net/
http://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp

Edited by Sundancer's Sidekick 2009-09-05 12:37 PM
Zipitude
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2009-09-17 11:48 PM (#110829 - in reply to #110215)

Veteran

I have a Garmin Oregon 400T topo that is pre-loaded with topo maps. I love it. It is very easy to use and the maps are very detailed. Garmin also just released an update for this unit that you can buy an Equestrian Trail Map that will overlay on the the topo map. I haven't use it out on the trail yet with this update, but several of the places we ride are on there, so I'm anxious to see how well it does in the real world.
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2009-11-06 10:15 PM (#112878 - in reply to #110215)

Regular

I've been using a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx since I got it this spring and it has been great to have along on all of my outdoor adventures. You can create routes at home by adding waypoints to visit or even routes (haven't actually tried that method yet). It's a mapping GPS so it tracks where I've been and I can save that info. That's a nice feature when you visit an area frequently or if when you get home you can download it and then see where you went on Google Earth. Another bonus is the extras like keeping track of your moving average speed, stopped and moving time, overall average speed, elevation gain and fastest speed.
I was going to buy maps but I found there are numerous free maps online. I got a free topographical map of MI at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

Edited by Bleve 2009-11-06 10:16 PM
awesomeabby
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-11-07 6:38 PM (#112895 - in reply to #110215)

I use, and I say that lightly b/c I don't use it well as I am gadget impaired, a Garmin GPSmap 76CSx. It's very nice, has a big screen, goes forever on a battery, and I've never lost satellite service and we ride in some dense forest areas in the mountains. Have used it in Shanendoah Mtns in VA, Big South Fork in TN, and Allegheny Mtns in PA. I don't know how to do much with it, but have figured out how to track where we have been. It's saved us quite a few times from taking the wrong trail or allowing me to figure out we were going the wrong way before we went too far. I did buy a map of (I think) eastern US. I like it because it will show and name little streams and roads. I wish I knew enough to download specific maps--like those for state parks and national forests--that would show trails. I don't even know if such a thing exists. We spent a week at Hungry Horse in VA (awesome place by the way) and the campground owner created a laminated map for all campers that he created by riding and mapping all of the trails with his GPS. It was, by far, the best campground map we ever received.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)