'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Position of Axles

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-11-06 9:32 PM
7 replies, 4916 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-11-05 2:01 PM (#112826)
Subject: Position of Axles

Veteran

Still looking for the perfect living quarters!  Now length isn't as much a concern as axle placement.  Hubby wanted to go with a 10 ft sw 4 horse.  I would rather have an 8 ft sw w/slideout but want big fridge.  I am the one pulling most of the time and I have to do some backing and tight spots on occasion.  Can someone explain the axle issue to me?  The more I look, the more confused I get.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-11-05 3:56 PM (#112827 - in reply to #112826)
Subject: RE: Position of Axles

Expert

The further aft the axles are mounted, the higher the pin weight will be. When the axles are mounted in the most reward position, the less maneuverable the trailer will become.

With a dressing room, an ideal axle placement is centered under the middle of the stalls. With a long LQ, the axles are sometimes moved forward to carry more of the trailer weight, and lower the pin weight.

Each manufacturer has its own version of what it feels is the proper axle placement. It is a measurement based on general feedback by a portion of the public. Depending on with what you tow and the particular loads you carry, will determine if the manufacturer was able to guess correctly your circumstances. Not every trailer will work well for every person's particular needs.

Looking at other peoples' rigs and asking questions, will help your decision. Try to find an owner that has circumstances similar to yours, as far as needs and number of horses being hauled. Ask what they like and dislike about their rigs. Their experiences contain very valuable knowledge.

Many 8' LQs are not available with the big two door fridges, they usually have the under counter 3 CF varieties. Most 10' LQs can be optioned with the larger units. Slide outs take up additional spacing beyond their physical size. Check with the individual LQ conversion companies of which you are interested, to see if they offer the larger fridge in a 10' LQ with a slide out.

Gard

Edited by gard 2009-11-05 4:06 PM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-11-05 6:48 PM (#112832 - in reply to #112826)

Expert

Some other things to consider.  If the axles are farther back, It helps keep you from dragging your rear bumper as much when you go through dips.  This is important to me since I spend a lot of time on forest service and BLM dirt roads. Probably not very important at all to somebody who hangs out at fairgrounds and stays on the pavement.

If the axles are farther back, You increase the possibility  that you could high center the middle of the trailer easier when crossing a railroad track  or other hump in the road.

Whats right for you will depend on what of roads you frequently drive.

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-11-05 9:34 PM (#112837 - in reply to #112826)

Expert

Originally written by my3horses on 2009-11-05 2:01 PM

Still looking for the perfect living quarters!  Now length isn't as much a concern as axle placement.  Hubby wanted to go with a 10 ft sw 4 horse.  I would rather have an 8 ft sw w/slideout but want big fridge.  I am the one pulling most of the time and I have to do some backing and tight spots on occasion.  Can someone explain the axle issue to me?  The more I look, the more confused I get.

Buy a name brand trailer that is built with haivng a LQ installed and the axles will be set correct.  Just about any trailer manufacture that builds a trailer with an LQ in mind builds them to be balanced to reduce wear on the axles and bottom side.  So I would buy a NAME brand and from a manufacture that has been around with LQ's! 

Edited by hogtownboss 2009-11-05 9:36 PM
my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-11-06 10:30 AM (#112851 - in reply to #112826)

Veteran

Thanks for the help.  We actually found a Kiefer with a 9 ft living quarters with a larger fridge. Also have narrowed to a Featherlite and Cimmaron.  Now if they could all be at the same place to go look at them.  Ha!  (Hubby has conceded he can forego the larger fridge because he is never in charge of the food anyway (and has never starved on a trip!) but have seen several posts that say the larger fridge is nice.) At first we were thinking slide out but now thinking they could be more trouble than they are worth.  Where to tie animals, unlevel parking spots, etc.
DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-11-06 11:29 AM (#112855 - in reply to #112851)

Veteran

sent you a PM about axle placement.  Let me know if I have confused you or helped you, haha.

Bartley Heath
bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
Buy Factory Direct at DoubleDTrailers.com

horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-11-06 4:34 PM (#112868 - in reply to #112826)

Veteran

my3horses, The guys answered the axle issue.  I'll chime in with the fridge and slideout.  I can live easily without a slide out and, reduce both weight and trailer cost.  But, after once having only had a 3cu foot fridge, I say never again!.  Not only are they too small, they are usually located on the floor! I use the whole 6 cu foot plus a cooler for drinks.  However, it will depend on what you are using your trailer for.  Show folks have access to food, campers have to depend on their fridges.
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-11-06 9:32 PM (#112875 - in reply to #112826)

Extreme Veteran

I understand about the fridge. That was a big concern to me as well. I wanted a well made trailer that would not break the bank with a smaller LQ but the large fridge. I found it in the Kiefer X8093. I got the 3 horse and I love it. Is it a 4 Star? N0. But it works for me. The Kiefer has a good warranty. I like that the horse compartment is fully insulated. I like the electric/hydraulic jack. I like the swing out saddle rack. I Love the bigger fridge. The LQ is between 8 and 9 feet. Not many 8/9 foot LQs offer the larger fridge. It does not have a slide. It does have lots of storage space. According to the information posted in the trailer, the weight after the LQ was installed (not loaded with horses, tack or water) is around 9000lbs. I have never actually weighed it. I have a 2002 F350 dually, so I am pretty sure I have enough truck. The floor length on the 3H is around 22 feet and it is 8 wide. I don't know if this will work for you but I love mine. Good luck and I hope whatever you get you are as happy with it as I am my Kiefer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)