'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
South Mountains in Shelby , N.C..Who has been?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-10-29 7:06 PM
2 replies, 4711 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2009-10-15 6:07 PM (#111903)
Subject: South Mountains in Shelby , N.C..Who has been?

Veteran

Have been wanting to ride the South Mountains in N.C. Can anyone give me info about camping , trails, etc.? Also, Bobby's Place is a camp with access to the trails.....anyone been there?

Edited by galsgottaride 2009-10-15 6:13 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
leapfarm
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2009-10-19 8:14 AM (#112046 - in reply to #111903)
Subject: RE: South Mountains in Shelby , N.C..Who has been?

Haven't been there myself, but camp other places with a lot of people who have and they all say Bobby's place is wonderful and that it is a great campground.  They also say the trails are nice but not really that extensive of a network of trails. 

I only live an hour from South Mountain and it has been on my list but have just been busy going other places.  Have you been to Uwahrrie or Leatherwood?  Leatherwood is not very far from South Mountain, but is a lot of up and down.  Was there a couple of weeks ago and my horse is really fit and he tied up....luckily had banamine and caught it right away, but it is really tough.  Their loins never get a rest with all that up and down.  Found out the hard way why everyone says it is so tough up there and why they host endurance rides, but it is beautiful and the people are great.  

Let us know what you think of South Mountain.   

partimecowboy
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2009-10-29 7:06 PM (#112580 - in reply to #111903)
Subject: RE: South Mountains in Shelby , N.C..Who has been?

I live close enough to ride out the back of my pasture and to South Mtn State Park. The trails are great, mostly jeep vehicle wide, well maintained, never muddy, some climbs but not as bad as Leatherwood, the loop around the perimeter is about 26 miles with other intersecting trails. The park has a horse campground with a good barn, but be sure and ask for the bigger camp sites. I've never been to Bobby's place b/c it's on the other side of the mountain from me. I'm on the south side. I would be glad to ride with you sometime at the park and show you the trails.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)