'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
changing cabinetry

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-10-29 10:17 PM
5 replies, 2716 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2009-10-29 10:38 AM (#112545)
Subject: changing cabinetry

Extreme Veteran

I am tired of my golden oak cabinets. I have been on line trying to find replacements or refacing with not much luck. My next options and least expensive are either trying Gel stain and darken them or painting and glazing them. Has any one tried either of these? How were your results? I recently redid the vynil floor with a vynil wood slat and it came out great. I am also going to cover the wall board with a stamped tin look panel to cover up my boring dated looking stripe.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-10-29 11:59 AM (#112551 - in reply to #112545)
Subject: RE: changing cabinetry

Expert

Originally written by laurie on 2009-10-29 10:38 AM

I am tired of my golden oak cabinets. I have been on line trying to find replacements or refacing with not much luck. My next options and least expensive are either trying Gel stain and darken them or painting and glazing them. Has any one tried either of these? How were your results? I recently redid the vynil floor with a vynil wood slat and it came out great. I am also going to cover the wall board with a stamped tin look panel to cover up my boring dated looking stripe.

You may check with a local cabinet maker.  We had a 2000 Exiss that we hated the cheap doors on and I had a local guy build me all new doors with real wood and stained them ourself.  Looked sharp when finshed.  Also he offer to do a skin or reface the main cabinet with a tin wood to stain as well before we added the doors but I just wanted upgraded door.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-10-29 4:21 PM (#112560 - in reply to #112545)

Expert

Originally written by laurie on 2009-10-29 11:38 AM

I am tired of my golden oak cabinets. I have been on line trying to find replacements or refacing with not much luck. My next options and least expensive are either trying Gel stain and darken them or painting and glazing them. Has any one tried either of these? How were your results? QUOTE]

The gell stains are easy to use, and can be applied over a variety of materials, resulting in an evenly coloured surface. It's much easier darkening a wood's colour than trying to lighten it. Remove the doors and hardware, apply the stain, rubbing it out according to the directions and let it dry. Apply a clear, satin polyurethane varnish and the results will be surprisingly good.

If it isn't then to your liking, you can reface the face frames with self adhesive wood tape and add new doors; the same type of remodeling that is often done on kitchen cabinets.

Staining is inexpensive and offers very rewarding results.

Gard

Edited by gard 2009-10-29 4:25 PM
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-10-29 6:08 PM (#112579 - in reply to #112545)

Extreme Veteran

paining works well also.  With all of the decorative paint techniques available today, you can surely find something that you like.

Marla

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2009-10-29 7:50 PM (#112582 - in reply to #112560)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by gard on 2009-10-29 4:21 PM

Originally written by laurie on 2009-10-29 11:38 AM

I am tired of my golden oak cabinets. I have been on line trying to find replacements or refacing with not much luck. My next options and least expensive are either trying Gel stain and darken them or painting and glazing them. Has any one tried either of these? How were your results? QUOTE]

The gell stains are easy to use, and can be applied over a variety of materials, resulting in an evenly coloured surface. It's much easier darkening a wood's colour than trying to lighten it. Remove the doors and hardware, apply the stain, rubbing it out according to the directions and let it dry. Apply a clear, satin polyurethane varnish and the results will be surprisingly good.

If it isn't then to your liking, you can reface the face frames with self adhesive wood tape and add new doors; the same type of remodeling that is often done on kitchen cabinets.

Staining is inexpensive and offers very rewarding results.

Gard

This was going to be my 1st option but I was thinking the side panels might not be real wood and not take stain. I may try that area 1st but is there a way to tell?

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-10-29 10:17 PM (#112586 - in reply to #112545)

Expert

Find a similar panel on the inside of a closet, the bottom of a drawer, the backside of a seldom used cabinet front and apply a small test amount of stain. The advantage of the gell is an even colouring on a variety of materials. The small inconsistencies in wood species and final finishes, should result in a relatively minor shading difference.

I stained a fiberglass door and its surrounding wood trim with a gell. Without touching it, most people cannot tell the door isn't wood. The gell also works on metals and plastics.

Some cabinets are not finished wood at all. Some are nothing more than plastic wrapped chip board. With a little practice, the gell will work on these as well.

Edited by gard 2009-10-29 10:22 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)