'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
what size power washer ? Cleaning info wanted.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-09-24 3:29 PM
5 replies, 3905 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

millironk
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-09-23 8:57 PM (#111043)
Subject: what size power washer ? Cleaning info wanted.

Regular

Could someone give me an idea of what size (horsepower, PSI, and GPM (gallons per minute) powerwasher  I would need for general cleaning of our 30ft. living quaters trailer. (Bison Stratus) Also what cleaners work well for the roof, skin, and white exterior.  Any other washing tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
a human
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-23 9:42 PM (#111045 - in reply to #111043)
Subject: RE: what size power washer ? Cleaning info wanted.

I have a small inexpensive power washer (approx. $80) my dad had purchased from Lowe's that I used on my old horse trailer - it is strong enough that I have to be careful when not to hurt the trailer with the power nozzle.

I've also taken the trailer to one of those do it yourself carwash bays - along with a bucket, ladder and mop and lots of quarters. That worked well, too. If you spritz up the soap into the bucket and apply with the mop, you get a lot more time to scrub, etc.

Finally, I know some of the truck stops along I-95 offer truck wash services that will also work on trailers for not extraordinary prices. It is kind of fun to watch someone else do the work.

I also have a mop with a long handle that you attach to your hose for scrubbing - I think it came from a boat supply store.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-09-23 10:03 PM (#111048 - in reply to #111043)

Expert

Originally written by millironk on 2009-09-23 8:57 PM

Could someone give me an idea of what size (horsepower, PSI, and GPM (gallons per minute) powerwasher  I would need for general cleaning of our 30ft. living quaters trailer. (Bison Stratus) Also what cleaners work well for the roof, skin, and white exterior.  Any other washing tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a 3000psi gas power pressure washer.  I think it has a 5hp Briggs engine.  I have had it 5 or 6 years now and works great.  As far as cleaners, the best thing I can tell you is to locate gard or retento on this forum, this is their line of stuff and really good with it.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2009-09-24 9:17 AM (#111062 - in reply to #111043)

Expert

There are several threads on cleaning products and methods on HTW if you do a search,you'll locate them.

We wash our trailers frequently,living on gravel roads and in an area where there is a lot of dust and dirt.I never use a power washer myself.I find that one of the long handled garden water sprayers with several nozzles,(the kind you find at WalMart or Home Depot,etc) works fine,and,I rinse on a vertical or "flat" spray which helps a lot with prevention of water spotting.

I put my wash solution in a 25 gallon bucket and dilute per the instructions on the label,and use an extendable wash brush made for vehicles,etc.

I think that one of the problems with using a power washer,even set on "low" would be the mixture of your wash solution in the resevoir,also,from below,standing on the ground,it can force soapy water in and around your door and window frames.I just find they are too difficult and have too much spraying capacity for my use,but,that's just me.

We only use Streakmaster products now to wash and protect our trailers,and,it is easy to use and gets the job done.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-09-24 10:25 AM (#111070 - in reply to #111043)

Expert

Power washers are very handy. They can also do some serious damage. Running a high PSI unit at its maximum pressure with a fine tip can erode and ruin a wooden floor, peel caulking from a seam, and even remove weathered paint from a surface. It can open an electrical connector and dent thin aluminum. It will displace a weather seal and tear fabric.

Having one of these washers is very handy. Knowing how to properly use it is paramount. As far as washing a trailer, I would recommend the excellent advice CRG has offered. If you are determined to used the power washer to clean your trailer, use it at a half power and select a wide fan to flood the surface.

I have an electric unit that is only rated at ~2500 PSI. It can blast grease from an auto part, clean my deck and wash the interior walls of the arena. It is very handy, but I never use it for washing any of my vehicles or trailers. A long handled brush and bucket of soap works very well.

Gard

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2009-09-24 3:29 PM (#111081 - in reply to #111070)

Expert

Gard is right.These things can knock you down,and,even used at half power,have the ability to beat your caulk out of seams,and tear window screens,etc,my biggest complaint is forcing soapy water into the window and door frames and getting water inside the trailer.They can also peel the paint off of the inside of a steel trailer if there are any places at all that it is peeling,and,there usually are.But a high pressure water garden nozzle can do that,also.

It seems like you are washing a Greyhound bus to use a brush and  bucket,and,when you're finished,like you detailed the Titanic before her voyage.But trailers are expensive,plus,if there is any grime or dirt from a rainy road on them,you'll have to use a brush anyway,so,I always play it safe.

Rinse your brush frequently,just like you do when washing your vehicle,to keep from scratching the trailer with grit in the brush.When finished with an acid wash,you can use Streakmaster's UltraGuard,or,Blue Coral Wash & Wax to put a shine on it.It also deters the oxidation of an all aluminum trailer a little while longer.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)