'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Leak in Kiefer, I've tried everything.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-09-08 11:04 AM
6 replies, 3491 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-09-07 4:13 PM (#110360)
Subject: Leak in Kiefer, I've tried everything.

Veteran

I have a Kiefer 4 horse with empty LQ shell.  Bought it used 2 years ago, it's a 2003 model.  I'm starting to wonder if the previous owner didn't get frustrated and trade it in for something that didn't leak. 

The leak is in the empty LQ.  Last year I ran a bead of caulk (a type recommended here) around just about every wall seam (exterior) there was, and solved about 90% of the problem.  This past month,  I went over the trailer again with a close eye, resealed a few seams, and did all the ones I missed before.  Tested the newly sealed wall seams with the garden hose, and had 100% coverage.  Today it rained, and I checked the LQ again.  One side is dry, the other NOT.  The water appears in the aluminum channel at the base of the wall, and I can't find it trickling down the wall anywhere, it's just there.  The wall where the leak is has the door centered on it, and the awning above it.  The bed area up in the gooseneck is dry as a bone - one piece construction those panels, no seams anywhere.  At this point, the only thing I haven't done is crawl around on the roof.  I could be doing that very shortly.

I need a few more ideas on how to trace this darn leak.  I want to get this LQ insulated and put in a new floor.  The materials are in the basement waiting, but I need this solved first.   Ideas anyone?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2009-09-07 5:46 PM (#110364 - in reply to #110360)
Subject: RE: Leak in Kiefer, I've tried everything.

Elite Veteran

The first place I would have looked is the roof. There are lots of good threads on here about sealing and caulking the roof. Just use the search button.

I'm on my 2nd Kiefer and love it. Had some questions last week about the saddle rack in the tack, called the factory and they helped me out with ideas and suggestions and offered for me to bring it to them (about 70 miles) and they build what I wanted if needed. No need to as the suggestion worked.

lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-09-07 5:53 PM (#110365 - in reply to #110360)

Extreme Veteran

I would contact the folks at Kiefer too.  They are very helpful and a nice bunch of folks. I believe the fella that I spoke with when I had a problem was Dave Spencer but I am not 100% sure. (It was a while ago.)
TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-09-07 7:56 PM (#110371 - in reply to #110360)

Veteran

Really the only reason I didn't start with the roof was because I could never find any trace of water running down the walls.  It just miraculously appears sitting in the track at the bottom.  I'll give Kiefer a call and see what they have to say.  Too bad that "leak proof roof" warranty of theirs doesn't apply here.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-09-07 9:47 PM (#110380 - in reply to #110360)

Expert

Do you have a window on the wet side? Do you have a running light above the area that is wet? Do you have an air conditioner? Solid aluminum can't leak, the obvious answer is to find an orifice, seam or break in the metal, that is allowing the water to penetrate.  Do you have a liner on the interior? If you do, the water may be hidden inside the two layers of the wall, and exiting at the floor.

You need to inspect the roof, it is the most obvious point of entry. If you have a bare aluminum exterior, you can mix up a bucket of water mixed with some bright food colouring and apply it to the roof. It will be easier to spot on a bare metal interior. Don't use it on painted surfaces as it can stain them.

The water can enter the LQ at a completely different place from where you see it. It can run horizontally some distance before it settles. It will take some investigating, and the ruling out of specific points of entry.

Gard

Edited by gard 2009-09-07 9:53 PM
TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-09-08 10:40 AM (#110402 - in reply to #110360)

Veteran

No window.  There is a running light above the awning.  No air conditioner, no lining, no finished walls.  The aluminum is white, so I guess the food coloring idea is out, but I sure liked it.  The seams in the walls, which are visible from the outside only, are centered over the aluminum studs.  I assumed water was getting in behind them somehow, which is why I sealed all those seams again.  Every possible joint or seam is still quite well factory sealed on the inside. 

I'll have to get a ladder and check around that running light.  The awning is a pain.  Can't get a good visual of its base when it's rolled up, and can't get near enough to see it when it's open.  I'm also wondering about the wall seams that run underneath the awning where I can't get to them.

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2009-09-08 11:04 AM (#110405 - in reply to #110360)

Elite Veteran

Another possiblity is the bolts that attach your awning to the roof. Is your trailer sitting level when it leaks? Remember water runs downhill. I found that out one one of my previous trailers. Jack it up to unhitch and it may not be sitting level, so find your high spot and work from there.

By the way I went through Bonnie to Dana Kraft @ Kiefer. Very nice and helpful.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)