'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Steel Sundowner vs. 4 Star

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-08-19 7:05 PM
6 replies, 5104 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pasoendurance
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2009-08-18 8:21 PM (#109608)
Subject: Steel Sundowner vs. 4 Star

New User

Hi: Hoping some of you more experienced trailer owners can help me with a decision. I am looking at 2 gooseneck trailers. Both 3 horse slants, made in the early 90's. A 4 star aluminum, 2 foot shortwall without any amenities or a steel Sundowner with a 6 foot shortwall dressing room.

I am an endurance rider who camps alot. 

Opinions, Thanks, Pasoendurance

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2009-08-18 10:26 PM (#109617 - in reply to #109608)
Subject: RE: Steel Sundowner vs. 4 Star

No brainer here. If they are in exact same condition with the exact same options......4 Star would be my choice! In fact the 4 Star would have to be pretty rag-ged unless the Steel Sundowner just got unpacked from a time capsule. I have owned several trailers and each brand.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-18 10:34 PM (#109618 - in reply to #109608)

Expert

You will have to get underneath the SD with a sharp pointed knife or screwdriver and really inspect the frame. If it has spent anytime in the northern part of the country, the frame may be at risk. I'm not talking about surface rust, but rust holes that may not be easily seen under the frame's coating. Many SDs have major problems with the older frames. Do not take anyone's word about its condition. CHECK IT YOURSELF

If the frame is good, I would go for the LQ. Be VERY sure before you buy it.

If there is any concern about the SD, most 4 Stars are excellent. Pull the mats and check the flooring for corrosion and integrity. You may experience some oil canning when you walk on the stall flooring. This generally is not a structural issue, but can be annoying. It can be alleviated somewhat.

You should also check everything that opens and moves. Try every appliance in the LQ. Knowing when the last bearing and brake inspections would be a good thing. Before you leave, make sure the brakes are hooked up and working. Tires, jacks, lights, latches, doors, windows, vents, stall dividers, everything should be inspected before a purchase. Some doors and windows on the older trailers are difficult to source if they are damaged. Make sure everything is in good shape, and there are no delaminations of the rear doors.

BOL   Gard

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-08-19 8:28 AM (#109637 - in reply to #109608)

Originally written by pasoendurance on 2009-08-18 8:21 PM

I am an endurance rider who camps alot. 

That answers the question more than anything. Like Gard said, check the condition of the SD closely. But it sounds like the trailer that fits your needs better. As far as the 4-Star goes, excellent trailer. That 2' shortwall leaves alot to be desired in space though.

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-08-19 12:38 PM (#109655 - in reply to #109637)

Elite Veteran

"may experience some oil canning when you walk on the stall flooring. This generally is not a structural issue, but can be annoying. It can be alleviated somewhat."

What is oil canning?

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-19 5:47 PM (#109661 - in reply to #109655)

Expert

Originally written by ponytammy on 2009-08-19 1:38 PM

"may experience some oil canning when you walk on the stall flooring. This generally is not a structural issue, but can be annoying. It can be alleviated somewhat."

What is oil canning?

Oil canning is a popping or buckling of metal. On 4 Star trailers, as well as some other brands, the flooring is made of large sheets of aluminum fastened over the floor joists and frame of the trailer. Over time, the material will stretch and sag between the floor joists, commonly where the horses always stand.

Because aluminum alloys have a "memory", the metal will try to stay in its original shape ( flat). When it is bent, internal stresses develop between the new and old shapes. When you walk on the floor, you can feel it flex and sometimes make an audible popping noise which is called oil canning. It would be akin to flexing the sides of a beverage can.

Because of the thickness and quality of the materials, I know of no actual failures of this flooring in 4 Star trailers. Typical fixes include forming the floor over the joists, installing a WERM coating, or living with the condition.

Planking floor systems usually will not exhibit the oil canning symptoms.

Gard

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2009-08-19 7:05 PM (#109665 - in reply to #109661)

Expert

This is true.We just acquired a 2000  4Star 4H trailer and it seems that the flooring situation Gard mentions seems to be weather/heat dependent,from what we've noticed.ie: in the AM when it is cool,no popping of the floor sections,in the heat of the afternoon,you can feel it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)