'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Using stock trailer to haul horses

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-09-18 9:58 PM
9 replies, 14179 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

YODA
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-01 3:20 PM (#110197)
Subject: Using stock trailer to haul horses

After doing a lot of reading and searching for used horse trailers I settled on buying a used 2000 S&H 16 x 6 rancher model stock trailer, in near new condition (no rust and hinges still have original paint) It appears to have very few miles as original tires are in perfect condition. (Owner said less than 800 put on it) It's in pristine condition (no rust) compared to a lot I looked at. It appears to be very well made too. Floor is in perfect condition with paint still on the timbers. No rot or split timbers either. I paid $4500 so I hope I did not get taken

I am having the running gear fully inspected, adjusted and bearings repacked. I am also installing a 4 inch rubber D bumper along the rear loading edge. It has thick 1 inch rubber floor mats but nothing on the side walls. The horse mats are not textured. This trailer hauls like a dream empty behind my F350 dually, so enough truck is not an issue. I only paid $4500 so I hope I did not get taken

This is supposed to be a 4 horse trailer from information I have found and based on the four tie points, but I will only be hauling two horses.

Now to the questions. I have hauled standard horse trailers in the past and know about the go easy on starts, turns, and stops. Is hauling horses in a stock trailer any different? This will be in mountainous area too. Any tips tricks are welcome. How long before unloading and giving the horses a break is OK? Do I need leg warps to haul? Anything else?

Do I need any special gear such as the quick release ties (what brands are good)  What about using bedding while hauling. What is the proper method of loading and securing. I have been told heads go left tie both to the same side. If I have a third horse load up front beside the first Load the easy one first, etc. They will find their footing.

What about accessories such as portable saddle and tack racks. How much water should I haul and are there tanks for goose neck stock trailers. For day trips do I need feed (hay).Any advice would be appreciated

Its taken me 28 years to get my wife her horse back ( I moved her away from the farm) She now has a registered paint and I have a 1/2 paint, 1/2 Arab - yep quiet a combination. We all need trailing, thus why I bought the trailer to get to the trainer each week.

Again thanks for being here - Keith

Edited by YODA 2009-09-01 3:21 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-09-01 4:39 PM (#110200 - in reply to #110197)
Subject: RE: Using stock trailer to haul horses

Veteran

Conrats on getting back into horses, i hope you guys enjoy it. Sounds like the trailer you got should work great. As far as hauling with a stock, I pull the same way I would with the regular horse trailer. I've never felt the horses were quite as safe in stocks but most people don't think it makes any difference. My one horse took several hauls to get use the stock, he was use to being contained better. I don't like the bungee ties or those quick release ties some use in trailers, use them if you like but I prefer a good stout lead rope. I had a horse pull back on a bungee and break it, he also got flipped hard in the head when it broke. I just dont like them. Leg wraps... i can see how these would be useful for long hauling, I will be interested to see what others say about these. I may get a pair or two myself if I could find some.
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-09-01 8:56 PM (#110208 - in reply to #110197)

Extreme Veteran

I have always hauled my horses in a stock trailer.  I have both a steel and an alluminun stock.  All horses load well and travel well.  I load them slant in the aluminum since it has a tack room and a slant wall in the front.  In the steel trailer I have hauled both straight load and slant.The only thing I have noticed is the horses will move around more since you don't have dividers and some horses take up more room just because they can.  I don't use trailer ties in my stock trailer.  I just tie them in with their leads.  Stock trailers are so versatile and you can haul just about anything in them.   I don't use bedding in my stock since I use it for local riding.  I use pine shavings in our LQ trailer.  If you are using your stock for longer hauls then I would add shavings to keep the floor from getting slick.  We even added rubber mats in our steel stock since the horses would slide on the wooded floor.  The only difference I have noticed in my stock trailers and our LQ trailer is that the horses have learned that the big trailer means groceries inside.  They are always very willing to load in the LQ since I use it for trips and usually supply hay bags for the road.  The stock trailer is not nearly as exciting since it usually does not contain food.  Good luck with your trailer.

Edited by tom-tom 2009-09-01 9:00 PM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2009-09-02 8:28 AM (#110216 - in reply to #110197)

Expert

Stock trailers are about all we had until recently to haul our horses.I didn't have an enclosed trailer until I bought a 2H BP S&H,and,when I traded it,I got more for it than I paid and she didn't bat an eye,( a dealer however) so,I don't think you got took.

One thing you might want to think about is: in winter it can get chilly   in a stock trailer,you might want to keep a couple of blankets handy to put on your horses when hauling in wet winter conditions.

YODA
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-02 7:17 PM (#110233 - in reply to #110197)

Thanks folks for the great information. This has really helped me.For cold weather I have noticed a few stock trailers with tracks inside the trailer to put in Plexiglas panels. Any idea where folks get the parts or at least the aluminum tracks?Thanks
mbqh
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2009-09-03 3:58 PM (#110255 - in reply to #110197)

Our stock trailer had tracks on the outside, you just unscrewed 1 screw and you could put the plexiglass in. Check the outside of it
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-09-03 6:00 PM (#110258 - in reply to #110197)

Veteran

If your trailer does not have them you could have any competent glass shop set it up to take plexi, they could also do the plexi for you.
YODA
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-16 1:32 PM (#110748 - in reply to #110197)

Folks - wanted to give you an update. Had the unit serviced and they found everything to be in excellent condition. The place I had it serviced actually builds trailers (not horse) so they know what they are talking about.

They also installed a 4 inch D rubber bumper along the back edge for me to protect the horses during loading. I had a pleasant surprise when I walked my horse up to the trailer. She walked ring in an said lets go. Haven't tried the wife's paint yet...another story.

Service center also can do the windows very easily. They do drop down hinged types over the slid in (tracks fill with road gunk and dont work). They can also do any other customizations I might need such a mounts for a water tank in the loft, and saddle rack (pull out type on racks in the loft) over the goose neck. But for right now I am set to start with and we will see how it goes from here.

Thanks for the help.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-09-16 2:59 PM (#110754 - in reply to #110197)

Expert

We have two 20' rubber mats in our stock trailer, the rubber bumper, and we bed with shavings.  Congrats on the new rig, you will enjoy it!  We just tie with leads, and untie to unload, but ours are very broke to tie and do not start to back up when the rear door is opened, they wait patiently to be untied. Good luck with your new endeavors.
Jean F.
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2009-09-18 9:58 PM (#110850 - in reply to #110197)

Regular

You are gonna want to replace the tires if they are more than 5 years old.  Even if they look fine.

Sounds like you are going to love your new trailer!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)