'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Bear Branch Ranch, Shawnee National Forest (YUCK!)
[Frozen]

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-06-23 6:16 PM
15 replies, 10351 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh Frozen
Message format

mbh
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-06-21 2:31 PM (#106747)
Subject: Bear Branch Ranch, Shawnee National Forest (YUCK!)

We just got back from Shawnee National Forest, what a beautiful place to ride.  Unfortunately our stay at Bear Branch was the worst place I have ever stayed.  We rented three cabins, all three were filthy.  Our cabin is advertised as sleeping four, it was 8 X 12 which was a stool and shower, kitchen sink only, no bathroom sink, table, futon bed and another room with a roll-away queen bed, it was cramped with just my husband and myself.  Dead flies were in the window sills and light fixtures for a very long time, the flies in the light fixtures were so bad it was dimming the light, mouse droppings in the kitchen drawers, windows that hadn't been cleaned in years, floor coverings that were worn right down to the wooden floor, mold around the base of the bathroom stool, the mattresses on the beds and futons were just plain gross.  All three of our cabins were old used trailers that construction companies had used for their workers at job sites. 

It wasn't only the cabins that were a disaster but the grounds as well. There were weeds everywhere, the yard was mowed, but definitely no weed eating or pulling of weeds around the restaurant or cabins.  The manure pile was 5 or 6 semi loads deep, some was pushed down the hill and the rest dumped right out the barn door.  It had been there for a very, very long time.  The barn needed ventilation, it was dark, dirty and hot, the stalls were very small and cramped.  The outside corral consisted of electric wire that was not even electrified, with fence posts that were almost laying on the ground from the previous horses pushing against it to eat the weeds on the other side.  The two acre pond for swimming and fishing was green with moss, I thought it was a run-off from the hill.  The restaurant smelled like dead mice and stale smoke, it was dark and dingy.  Needless to say, we did not eat there. 

Horses acquired pink eye the first night we were there, as soon as their contagious period was over we left, losing out on about $400.00, and moved to Little Lusk Lodge, by the way, they were wonderful!!! 

Not only were we unhappy with our stay, there was campers there staying in their own horse trailers from Louisiana, Georgia, Tennessee and Iowa (all separate travellers), who were also extremely unhappy with the facilities and stated that they would never be back. 

When I voiced my concerns with the owner, he blamed all of these problems on his customers, that they don't respect his property and it is all their fault.  More or less, too bad and I don't have a problem.  He collected our money when we arrived and we never saw him again, until he pulled in to collect money from someone else.  He never went around and visited with the campers or made himself available. 

I do not expect the Ritz, but if I am paying a good price to stay indoors, I certainly want a clean facility without the presence of rodents, bugs and mold.  It would have been more sanitary to sleep in a tent outside. 

I hope this will be useful for others who wish to ride the Shawnee National Forest, and they will not have to experience a vacation like we did.  

On a good note, the riding was absolutely breathtaking and if you need lodging while you stay there, please do not be deceived by the false advertising and pictures on the Bear Branch website, I think they were taken many, many years ago, instead give Lonnie and Peggy a call at Little Lusk Lodge, there you will have a very clean room and hospitality to boot.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-06-21 4:05 PM (#106751 - in reply to #106747)
Subject: RE: Bear Branch Ranch, Shawnee National Forest (YUCK!)

Elite Veteran

Sorry you had such a horrid holiday. I have been hearing the same thing about this place for the last five years. It's a shame...that folks keep losing their hard earn vacation time and money there.

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-06-21 7:20 PM (#106762 - in reply to #106747)

Elite Veteran

You should have seen it over Memorial Day Weekend! It was a free-for-all with trailers parked every which way. We had heard they have a fish fry on Friday nights. We checked it out and were told what was left on the buffet was all they would provide!! It was old and dirty. We left and went to a little cafe on the highway - name slips my mind, but the fish was excellent. We stayed at Hayes Canyon in our trailer. Not too bad of a campground - stalls could be made safer, but overall an ok place compared to Bear Branch.

My husband and I discussed during our visit how there really isn't a top notch campground around Shawnee like other national forest places. Top Notch to us means safe stalls, clean facilities, wash racks, clean sewer hook-ups (Hayes had Duct tape holding some of the pipe fittings on the permanent camper sites!!-yikes!) and easily accessible utilities to the sites. When paying for a campground this is what we expect. When primitive camping, we don't expect the niceities.

We had taken a drive over to High Knob and this place was run-down too. Once again, stalls or lack there of were in poor condition.

We had stayed at Circle B in 2005 and found it accomodating with sturdy outdoor pens. Next time you plan a trip, check out this website: http://www.horsetraildirectory.com/

mbh
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-06-21 9:44 PM (#106773 - in reply to #106762)

I offered to buy Bear Branch from the owner, told him he could have a goldmine,of course I was being ridiculous because there is nothing wrong with his place.  I told my husband if we bought it the first thing we would do is get a big Caterpillar up there and start having fun bulldozing everything down and starting anew.  My husband is EXTREMELY fussy, and can fix and build anything.  You are right, there really isn't anything around there that I would classify as nice, but I will say that Little Lusk was at least clean, and the owners were great.  Really too bad because Shawnee Forest is a beautiful place to ride!!

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2009-06-21 10:07 PM (#106774 - in reply to #106747)

Issie: where are you?
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2009-06-21 10:40 PM (#106776 - in reply to #106747)

Veteran

You hit it right on the head, BB is gross and overpriced. We really like Hayes and found great camping at Little Lusk too. Were going to Circle B this fall, it's clean too.
It's amazing he stays in business, bad word travels pretty quick!
mbh
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-06-22 7:33 AM (#106789 - in reply to #106774)

We are in Northern, Illinois.  That was our first time at Shawnee. We have also been to Harpers Ferry, Iowa at Natural Gait, if someone built something like that there, you would be busy every weekend.  They are really nice log cabins with rustic furniture in them, not too much rustic, but just enough.  You want to go in business together?  LOL!  Seriously though, it is much needed there.

Edited by mbh 2009-06-22 9:03 AM
mbh
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-06-22 9:05 AM (#106800 - in reply to #106762)

Thanks for the website information, I will surely do that.

JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-06-22 1:58 PM (#106817 - in reply to #106747)

Extreme Veteran

Sounds like we dodged a bullet!  We are going to Shawnee in the fall and decided on Hayes Canyon.  Bear Branch was one of the places we were really considering but thanks to all the input we got from the fine folks here on HTW, we chose Hayes.
mbh
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-06-22 2:22 PM (#106820 - in reply to #106817)

I'm glad we could spare you and the others out there.  This is my first time posting on here, and even becoming a member, I don't get involved in the gossip, but this really needs to be known so people know what they are getting themselves into.

Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-06-22 2:29 PM (#106821 - in reply to #106747)

Veteran

Have to agree with everything you said. He doesn't care about the customers. We went there twice and that was too many times. I thought it was because we are from Il. and he just cared about out of state campers. His ads in the magazines are very decieving (sp).
On the good side glad you enjoyed the riding, it is beautiful.
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2009-06-22 5:22 PM (#106851 - in reply to #106747)

Extreme Veteran

Hubby and I stayed at BB about 7-8 years ago.  We stayed in one of the little cabins.  It was basically a tool shed with a bed in it.  Before I would even unload my things, I had to go up to the office and borrow a broom to sweep all the dead bugs off the floor.  You literally could not take a step without crunching half a dozen under your feet.  ICK!  I vowed never to return.

We have been back to the Shawnee NF though.  It is some beautiful riding.  We are really fond of One Horse Gap campground.  It is small and not fancy but it is CLEAN and the hosts are wonderful.  No barn, just panel pens but they are set up in the shade.  The food is good and the kitchen and bathrooms are very tidy.

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-06-22 10:34 PM (#106873 - in reply to #106747)

Veteran

New Hope Hill and the one horse gap ride was wonderful, clean, and everyone was SUPER accommodating.  I am so glad I didn't go to bear branch, thanks for the warning, I won't waste time trying it out! 

Amanda

j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2009-06-23 1:51 PM (#106922 - in reply to #106747)

Veteran

We have stayed at Hayes a number of times. Many of the sites are permanent campers, but all of the daily rental sites are in the shade. You get 2-4 stall included with your site. There have been upgrades on the stalls. The owners are VERY accommodating. Once a rider had a horse get sick on the trail...I think tying up. The owners, Ben and Patty, brought a trailer to a place close by where she was and picked up her horse. They refused any $$ for doing so and said that it was part of their service. The campground is not a big party place. It is more a family campground. We just love going there. First time we went to Shawnee we stayed at Bear Branch. Never again! I have ridden through Circle B and it looks very nice.

j&j
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-06-23 3:40 PM (#106941 - in reply to #106922)

Veteran

We stay at Hayes also-- Ben & Patty have a nice place.

It's a shame about Bear Branch.  Before we had our LQ and Hayes 1  rental cabin was rented- we stayed over there.  If he would just clean it up a bit-- and maybe be around more - things would be better.  Not everyone has a LQ and with his cabins-- he could have a corner on the market.  Some friends of ours tried and tried to buy something from the tack shop - but it was never open.

The newest cabin- The Wrangler still is pretty nice from what I hear.

mbh
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-06-23 6:16 PM (#106946 - in reply to #106941)

My mother and sister stayed in the Wrangler, that's where the mouse droppings were in the drawers and the floor coverings were worn through, it was also an old used construction worker's trailer, he charged $69.00 a night plus tax, which he is not suppose to be collecting tax on his cabins because you have to provide your own bedding.  Very overpriced.  The whole place needs a clean-up and a lot of TLC.  But you are right, it could be a gold mine if he would take a little pride in his place, clean it up and get a whole new outlook towards his patrons.  I don't think it will ever happen because he firmly believes there is nothing wrong.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)