'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Shower frame,what a pain~!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-04-28 1:54 PM
6 replies, 3838 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2009-04-27 7:08 PM (#104044)
Subject: Shower frame,what a pain~!

Expert

Has anyone had their shower frame to start pulling away from the wall (outside wall)? We have a 'neoangle" shower,I think it is called.I've noticed the frame is pulling away from the wall mostly at the top.I'm trying to caulk it,but,there's a pretty good sized gap already at the top that caulk won't fill.I'm trying one of those strips with backing that peels off (the kind they use along the tub between the tub and wall.) But,that thing is a headache.I can't get it to adhere at the top.Thinking of supergluing it until I can come up with a better fix.

Anyone tried fixing one like this?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2009-04-27 7:10 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-04-27 7:13 PM (#104045 - in reply to #104044)
Subject: RE: Shower frame,what a pain~!

Expert

What has made it pull away? Is the trailer twisting and flexing so much as to make it pull away/pop loose?

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2009-04-27 9:29 PM (#104064 - in reply to #104045)

Expert

The glass wall and its' frame have  pulled away at the top that is against the outside wall.It was apparently glued and caulked to the plastic shower wall,and I imagine the heat plus the twisting and banging around on these terrible roads that we have to travel on in our county didn't help matters.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-04-28 9:26 AM (#104089 - in reply to #104044)

Expert

Is there adequate support on the bottom of the glass wall against the base? It's hard to believe that your trailer wall is flexing enough to cause this problem. I would check the opposite bottom corner of the glass to see if it is properly seated in the base unit. Adding caulking won't solve the problem.

You may have to remove the glass wall to discover the problem. You probably will have to anyway, to clean the metal edge and reseal the joint. It may have been incorrectly assembled by the interior conversion workers, or something has failed. A polyurethane construction adhesive will hold the two materials together (metal channel  and wall board), but then you might end up ripping the paneling from the outside wall.

You're going to have to do some investigating, as to why this panel has moved so much. Filling the crack will do little to alleviate the problem.

BOL  Gard

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2009-04-28 12:34 PM (#104109 - in reply to #104089)

Expert

I've just had to patch it up for now.It's not a huge gap at the top,but,about 1/4" or so,enough that water from the shower could come through and wet the carpet in the spot between the shower wall and the cabinet.

You'd think we've hauled this thing someplace every weekend instead of a few times a year,with the repairs that we've had to make to the interior that the conversion company (Sierra) goofed up on.Anyway,I've got it patched for now with a caulk strip and some expanding foam insulation at the top,and I'm going to go back and caulk over that.

It wasn't like that when we got it,so,I'm assuming that movement had to have  caused it to some degree.

The base is sitting in the shower frame on top of the shower pan floor.It hasn't separated there just at the top.

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-04-28 12:42 PM (#104110 - in reply to #104044)

Elite Veteran

I'm fairly confident that the road to Big Creek is the culprit of your woes.  That is the most buck-boarded, tooth jarring road I travel on. By the time we get through the 7 slow miles, several of my drawers have wiggled open from the RV drawer holders.

And come'on gal, your from a farm - time to get out the duct tape. The fix-it solution to everything. Hee Hee.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2009-04-28 1:54 PM (#104117 - in reply to #104110)

Expert

YEah,well,I did the ole "duct tape and baling wire" thing on it.I used that expandable foam at the top where that stupid caulking strip wouldn't stay put.I just cut that portion off,filled the gap with the foam,and I"m going to caulk over it with white silicone caulk to make it look a little better.

Had a PM from an independent conversion company and they said that they felt as if the shower glass wall should have had tracking that  was screwed into the outside wall to hold that heavy framing.I imagine that's right.

Our roads here can surpass Big Creek's,and,we live on gravel,and have to bring the trailer to our home over several miles of gravel from where we keep it stored on our farm.LIke driving over the Old Chisholm trail.I imagine after getting to Big Creek this time,the shower wall will be lucky to still be in place,period!

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2009-04-28 1:55 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)