'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
BLACK WATER TANK AND TOILET

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-04-18 9:20 AM
5 replies, 11033 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-04-17 3:49 AM (#103504)
Subject: BLACK WATER TANK AND TOILET

Expert

In about a week or so, we will be installing a black water holding tank and a Thetford "Aqua Magic" toilet in a DIY LQ. The two of us have never made this installation. We have done household toilet installations, and have all the tools we should need, but we are missing the basic knowledge part.

The trailer floor has a solid exterior aluminum skin, one inch foam insulation, a half inch sub flooring and will be finished with urethane tiles installed. There will have to be two holes cut, one for the toilet and one for a stack vent.

I was reading a previous thread about a gray water tank installation, but it didn't include the mechanics of a toilet connection. My questions would include, is there a flooring flange, sealing ring and such, as with a household variant? How is the top of the tank sealed to this? Should this tank be installed, then cut from above at the same time when the flooring holes are made? Are the installation parts usually assembled into a kit, or do they have to be purchased piece meal?

This novice would greatly appreciate some hand holding and tips to properly effect this installation. I would prefer to know what to do and what to avoid before we start. I went to two RV dealers, and they were very hush hush. They offered to do the job for a handsome fee at their leisure, but would offer no self help tips, even when I said I would purchase their products at a substantial mark up. I guess it involves an industrial secret or such.

Gard

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-04-17 7:01 AM (#103506 - in reply to #103504)
Subject: RE: BLACK WATER TANK AND TOILET

Extreme Veteran

Gard,

I am not sure if they can help you, but try contacting www.jbjconversions.com . They do some great LQ conversions and are very nice folks.  He even has an online catalog for the RV parts on his website.  We took a trailer to him once to see if he could add a bunk and he was very honest with us about how it would affect the resale value of our trailer.  He does everything from weekend packages to full LQ.  I don't know if he could help you with the information you need, but he might be able to point you in the right direction.

301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-04-17 7:06 AM (#103507 - in reply to #103504)

Veteran

Its been a couple of years since the last one I did so do not take this as "gospel" just what my feeble brain can remember. For my replacement install: Tank came with threaded connection which I ABS glued into place after finding and drilling hole in tank. On mine I put the tank up "loosely" and screwed the base flange into place, then secured tank. I put a little silicone on the threads. You then position the flange so that the slots line up for the toilet angle you want, then screw the flange down, mine had 6 screws into a wood floor so you may have a little more of a challenge here, but I'm sure you'll be able to come up with something. Gasket is more of a foam rubber, somewhat reusable, goes on toilet. I bought most of my parts individually, but this was a tank and toilet replacement on an existing installation!!!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-04-17 10:01 AM (#103512 - in reply to #103504)

Expert

The holding tank manufacturers provide a 3" threaded adapter that is glued in place wherever it is needed. I believe it has internal threads. The toilet sits on a flange that is screwed to the floor.

Question: Does this toilet, floor mounted flange, screw directly into the 3" adapter as supplied by the tank manufacturer? Then is a seal put into place and in turn, the toilet is affixed to the flange?

My lack of understanding is the physical connection from the flange to the adapter. Duster's info suggests that one part simply screws into the other. Am I making more of a problem, than one exists?

Thanks all again.   Gard

301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-04-17 5:19 PM (#103524 - in reply to #103504)

Veteran

I think you have the idea. The glue in tank flange has internal threads. The toilet flange has external threads, this was where I was referring to putting just a little silicone. The thing I am concerned with is you will need a longer toilet flange for the amount of flooring you're going through. As I was only going through linoleum and 1/2 or 3/4 " of wood, but if memory serves me correct you can get different length flanges. Gasket goes on toilet base and should be with the toilet. All of the Thetfords I've bought have had one in the box. Toilet mounts to flange just like a house toilet, just check your angle before screwing it down! I don't screw the toilet flange into the tank real tight, just snug so you can position it properly with the floor screws. I hope this helps, I think you'll get it just fine.
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-04-18 9:20 AM (#103553 - in reply to #103504)

Extreme Veteran

Gard, Please take pictures as I am thinking about tacking this in the next couple of months. I installed a shower once and it required less detail work.-Betty
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)