'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sundowner hydraulic jack problem

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-04-09 5:04 PM
6 replies, 8838 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Ken-OH
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2009-04-09 7:42 AM (#103000)
Subject: Sundowner hydraulic jack problem

New User

We took our Sundowner LQ in for routine warranty service (all little stuff). Went to pick it up and the hydraulic jack was dead (dead battery). I used the manual handle to crank it up but we can't figure out how to lower the trailer now that we have the hitch raised!

There is a knurled knob but it won't move. The dealer personnel (Trailers America, Cincinnati) have never used the manual backup and don't know how to get it down! They called Sundowner Customer Support and were told there are two knobs (wrong!) They called support again and the guy said he would check and get back to them in a short while. No call back. Dealer called a couple more times and just got voice mail. Finally after waiting two hours, we gave up and came back home. A whole day (4 hours driving, plus waiting time) wasted. Yesterday I called Sundowner myself but got nothing but voice mail and no return calls.

My guess is that the valve is stuck (and needs to be replaced). Has anyone on the list used the manual crank for the hydraulic jack? How does it operate?

I have to wonder if Sundowner is going out of business like so many others in the RV industry! Their "36 month hitch to bumper warranty" is worthless if they won't answer their phones!

Yes, we could hook up a battery charger or a new battery but I want the manual backup to work, I don't want to need it at some remote campground and have it stuck up in the air like it is now!

So now, with camping season arriving, our expensive Sundowner is sitting at the dealer with it's nose up in the air! :(

Ken
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-04-09 7:51 AM (#103001 - in reply to #103000)
Subject: RE: Sundowner hydraulic jack problem

Elite Veteran

What kind of Hy. jack is it?  There should be a manual on it.  Mine was stuck and I had to manually crank mine, but I forget how.  I  looked at the paper work and figured it out.  It was after hours and there was no one there to help me.
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-04-09 7:51 AM (#103002 - in reply to #103000)

Lift the red knob and turn it 180 degress from the start point. I think...can't remember for sure, but I do know you lift it up. The manual is online at www.equalizersystems.com.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-04-09 8:47 AM (#103008 - in reply to #103000)

Expert

Would the electric pump not work with the trailer cord plugged into the truck??

Read the part about "manual overide hand pump". It will list the steps to take in getting it down.....

http://www.equalizersystems.com/documents/Single_Leg_AM_CM_20,_24_and_30.pdf

Manual Override – Hand Pump

The following procedure gives step-by-step instructions on how to operate the manual override to either extend

or retract the jacks.

Your AM series single leg jack is available with a manual override, depending on the specifi c unit ordered. If your

unit is equipped with the override hand pump, it is operated as follows:

To extend your jack:

1. Install a handle in the hand pump. Pump the handle to extend the jack. You may have to pump 10-

20 times before you build enough pressure and the jack begins to extend.

To retract your jack:

1. Locate the red knurled knob on the directional valve. Pull it out and turn ½ turn. The knob will

remain in the “out” position. Do not use anything other than your fi ngers to manually shift the

directional valve.

2. Install a handle in the hand pump. Pump the handle to retract the jack. You may have to pump

10-20 times before you build enough pressure and the jack begins to retract. Return the directional

valve to the normal position. Reinstall black plastic cap on motor.

Edited by retento 2009-04-09 8:52 AM
Ken-OH
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2009-04-09 9:12 AM (#103011 - in reply to #103000)

New User

Thanks for the replies. I finally got through to Sundowner this morning. They too refer to the red knob. There is NO red knob, only a brass one and it will not move. They agree that the valve may have frozen and promise to work with the dealer to replace it. Hopefully, they will follow through.

Thanks to all.

Ken
Ken-OH
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2009-04-09 3:49 PM (#103054 - in reply to #103000)

New User

Latest update:

Sundowner asked the dealer to email them photos of the jack. Sundowner said they had never seen such a setup (single brass knob, no red knob). Anyway, Sundowner promised to ship a new valve overnight to the dealer. I'll be satisfied if that happens and takes care of the problem :)

Edited by Ken-OH 2009-04-09 3:50 PM
barrelhorses
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-04-09 5:04 PM (#103058 - in reply to #103000)

Regular

Ken,

I use Trailers America for service as well.  They have always been good to work with so I'm sure they'll get it taken care of.  They have a relatively new service guy.  He seems to be a nice guy but I'm not sure how much experience he actually had with these trailers before he started working there. 

My hydraulic jack has acted up a couple of time.  I forget the brand of jack that is on it, but there is only one knob that I know of and you have to pull it out in order to lower the trailer.  Hopefully TA and Sundowner get you taken care of. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)