'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
long haul over mountain pass

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-30 8:41 AM
5 replies, 3436 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

puginthesun
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-29 5:45 PM (#102382)
Subject: long haul over mountain pass

New User

Am planning a long haul in the upcoming weeks for an early start on the event season.  I'll be taking just one horse in my 3H GN and it's about 15 hours on the road.  I am quite comfortable driving my truck/trailer the distance, but have never hauled across mountain passes.  Does anyone have any suggestions for hauling over mountains?  Anything I should do before beyond usual trailer/truck maintenance?  Any specific dos or don'ts for the actual drive?  Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-03-29 7:30 PM (#102393 - in reply to #102382)
Subject: RE: long haul over mountain pass

Elite Veteran

Buy the "RV Guide to Mountain Passes"!! Great book filled with tons of information on steep grades.

http://www.rvbookstore.com/mountaindirectory.html

I used the West edition when I traveled from WI to CA a few years ago. The worst for me...was Tehachapi Pass, boy that is one long steep decline.

What's your route?

Check your brakes/tires (trailer also) and radiator to make sure they are in tip top condition and ready for the long hard haul.

Don't over ride your brakes or you will lose them. Slow and easy going down is best.

Have a safe trip!!

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-03-29 7:57 PM (#102394 - in reply to #102382)

Expert

I don't know how steep or long the grades are that you are planning to travel. But I live here in the west and routinely drive over the various summits.  Trappers Loop near my home has a 8% grade that is about 4 miles long.  It's a 50 mph road, But I can go downhill in the proper gear and not use the brakes very much. Same thing with Parleys Summit on I-80 Thats a 20 mile long down hill grade.  The upper portion is a 7% grade.  If I come over the summit at 55mph and downshift a gear, my truck will hold back and stay with in the speed limit (70mph) all the way down the grade.   I might touch my brakes once to slow back down to 55 from 70mph.

I find that I don't have any problems with 12,000 to 14,000lbs of trailer behind my Ford F350 on most of the western hiways using mostly the engine/tranny braking. If the pass you are coming down has a much slower speed limit. ie 25 mph or 35 mph. It will be a different story. The type of truck you drive will also cause some variations of whats easy to do. The 2003-2007 Ford powertrain for example will unlock the torque convertor at 25mph. Which means you have no engine braking at 25 mph or lower. So you would have to use your brakes for all stopping power at these lower speeds. Gas engines have more engine braking than a lot of the diesel engines.  That's why exhaust brakes have been a popular option for diesel engines. ( Dodge even offers exhaust brakes on their Cummings Diesel engines the last year or two). A diesel engine with a properly installed exhaust brake has a LOT of addititional braking. If an exhaust brake is installed it has to have a control module to tel the torque convertor to stay locked up. Most torque convertors unlock when you touch your brakes.

I doubt you will go buy a new truck for the trip. And I doubt you need to consider adding an exhaust brake for one or two trips over a summit. Use caution. make sure your brakes are in good shape before you start the season. slow to reasonible speeds before you start downhill. Down shift and let the engine tranny do as much work as possible and use your brakes when needed. If you are looking at a really steep grade, consider the alternatives that go around it. It might cost you an extra hours drive, but if you are uncomfortable with the hills, that safe decision to make.

puginthesun
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-29 8:06 PM (#102397 - in reply to #102382)

New User

Thank you IcePony and Painted Horse! That's just the kind of information I was hoping to get. We are heading from Olympia in Washington state down to the Fresno area of CA. Am planning on taking I5 from WA into central CA, so at least it's a major interstate, not a tiny little highway, but the more prepared I can be, the better I will feel.
I had the unfortunate (terrifying) experience of losing my brakes hauling a loaded trailer once before and still (four years later!) have that nightmare! (In case you're wondering, an incorrectly installed brake line in truck borrowed from a friend rubbed each time the wheel turned, until it finally failed... as I crested a hill at highway speed (60) to find that traffic had stopped dead just a few hundred feet further... the manual operation of that trailer break that I had installed a few days earlier is the only reason that the situation ended safely) Anyhow, I will do anything in my power never to be in that situation ever again, hence my request to be as prepared as I can be. Thank you, and please keep the information coming!
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-03-29 9:29 PM (#102398 - in reply to #102382)

Veteran

Our friends had the unfortunate act of brakes catching on fire after coming down a steep grade mountain. Needless to say both of us put the exhaust brake on our trucks shortly after. Even though we only go out west once a year, we feel the expense was worth every penny.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-03-30 8:41 AM (#102417 - in reply to #102382)

Expert

All very good advice.  I crossed back and again over loveland pass in Colorado, 12 miles on I think 7 degree grade.  Probably tapped the brakes four or five times.  I kept my 8 wide 10'LQ with 3 animals, loaded with hunting gear.....slow, topped over at 35, started down and kept it in 2nd, turned my flashers on, stayed to the right, and as it would slowly gain speed to 45, would use the brakes to brake back to 35, and it would take a considerable time to get back to 45, whereupon I would brake down again. This method kept me off the brakes as much as possible, with cooling time between applications. 

There is a little stretch of road just south of Jasper AR, that got our full attention once before the Colorado run, as all our brakes were smokin, no shoulders, deep steep dropoffs, and no runaway ramps!  The difference was, with live animals, that had to be negotiated very slowly on a 2 lane narrow road.  Hopefully your downhill run is not extremely curvy, and there are passing lanes and slow lanes.

The book mentioned above is great, and interesting reading as well.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)