'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Stock or Dividers for horse comfort

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-08 4:48 PM
24 replies, 8395 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

tr0y
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-02 7:18 PM (#100489)
Subject: Stock or Dividers for horse comfort

Veteran

Hi All - I am new here so I may make a mistake or 12, I have searched for this but not found an answer.

We have a nice 4H 727 sundowner with just a DR up front, I am thinking I want to build it out into a bit of an extended weekender and I "think" I have the skills to do it, frame & finish, electrical, plumbing, weld both steel and AL my wife builds cabinets and we both can sew, that should cover it.

What I want to know is we are thinking about taking a bit of space from the horse area and making it people area, but would still like the horse capacity what if we took out a divider or two and just let the horses ride like stock or when we are doing ranch work, our horses don't fight each other, they are road warriors, we try to keep the runs under 12 hours and they seem fine at that point.

Any reason that I am not thinking of to leave dividers in ? seems like all get more space if we run more of a stock set up.

Thanks

Troy
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
barrelhorses
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-03-02 7:41 PM (#100490 - in reply to #100489)
Subject: RE: Stock or Dividers for horse comfort

Regular

Got your PM and replied.

I have seen a few conversions done and some have been pretty nice.  Is your current trailer 7' wide or 8' wide?  How much room are thinking of taking in for the LQ?  Perhaps making the shortwall and the longwall equal?  How much room would that leave in the horse compartment? 

AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-03-03 2:57 AM (#100518 - in reply to #100489)

Veteran

Did you say that you leave the horses in the trailer for 12 hours while hauling? I try not to go more than six hours at the most-- maybe I read it wrong. I have almost always used horse trailers with dividers, but the trailer I just bought is a combo like you are talking about. For what I need right now it was the only way I could go. I think it will not be as safe for the horses as a trailer with dividers but if I drive careful I should be okay. As far as comfort for the horses goes I would be interested to see what others have to say on the subject as I really don't know. The horses can move around a little in stock trailers, which is nice, but they also have to stabilize themselves more and concentrate on balance.
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-03-04 3:12 PM (#100649 - in reply to #100489)

Veteran

Come on folks, help the guy out.
TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-03-04 5:43 PM (#100669 - in reply to #100489)

Veteran

Where I live, very few people own horse trailers, but do have stock trailers instead because they are all farmers.  I've never yet heard anyone complain that they wish they had dividers in their trailer to separate their horses.

Now, personally, here's my experience: 

Three horses my 12' stock trailer -- completely happy. 

Seven fully tacked up  horses in my neighbors stock trailer -- BLISSFULLY HAPPY to the point of not even wanting to get out when the door opened, not just once, but on every trip ever taken. 

Horses in my friends HORSE trailer with the see-through type dividers where the horses can see each other - happy. 

Horses in MY horse trailer with the solid dividers -- PANICKED to the point that on the second trip, they didn't want to load.  I removed the dividers and tossed them in the garden shed, and now my horses load just as easily as before.

So, IMO, horses are happy in a stock trailer.  If it makes your life easier to build your trailer that way, go ahead.  They will probably like it better anyway. 

tr0y
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-04 7:18 PM (#100676 - in reply to #100489)

Veteran

Thanks for the answers all, I love the

"loading them like tossing them in the garden shed"

that is how mine load now and people are always asking how I trained them to do it. Guess I'll have to tell tell'um I started when they were ponies with tossing them in a garden shed.

Yeah, fully tacked up and tossed in is how we move them when doing ranch work, guess I am lucky when they see the pullin' truck and their trailer hooked up they know it is time to go to work and look forward to it.

Thanks All

Troy
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-03-05 12:11 PM (#100724 - in reply to #100489)

Veteran

Do you ever have a problem with the horses chewing on saddles when you load them up tacked like that?
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-03-05 12:51 PM (#100728 - in reply to #100724)

Expert

When I worked on a ranch we would tack up at home so we could unload and go.  We only had one horse that would chew saddles and that was fixed by loading him first and tying him.
ace_014
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-03-05 1:21 PM (#100732 - in reply to #100489)

Regular

We have the exact same trailer we had the wall moved back it is now a 3 horse with a 7 ft short wall can send pics if you like. How many horses do you haul?

TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-03-05 5:35 PM (#100749 - in reply to #100489)

Veteran

We've never had trouble with chewing either, and we always tie the horses if they are saddled.  My one "Trouble maker" we put on at the back of the trailer so he doesn't end up sideways under all the leadropes, which is what he does if loaded in any of the forward stalls. Definitely not something I want to happen when they are saddled.  Also, when they are riding in there fully rigged out, it's only for a few miles, not a long haul, just far enough to get to the cows and get working.  Having them pre-saddled saves the headache of trying to saddle horses that can smell cows already and can't wait to get going.
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-03-05 7:31 PM (#100755 - in reply to #100489)

Veteran

Do you guys think a horse can ride in a stock as comfortably and safely as a divided horse trailer?
tr0y
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-05 8:47 PM (#100760 - in reply to #100489)

Veteran

I haven't had any saddle chewing problems, but if we do we can always tie them in. I have got to think that the saddle up at home and hit the ground running is pretty common out west. I haven't cowboyed much east of New Mexico so I could be wrong.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-03-05 10:23 PM (#100764 - in reply to #100489)

Expert

More so.  We have stock, 3 horse slant LQ, and 2 horse straight load.  Seasoned horses haul extremely well in a stock trailer.  We have hauled cross country with 2 head, each in his own box stall, when we stopped for the night, we would take em out and let em longe a bit, eat a bit of grass , roll or whatever, then put em back in with water and feed buckets, and hay, just as tho they were in a barn stall. with rubber mats and well bedded, BTW,.........they hauled very well.  They would lay down when they wanted enroute, and even stretch out and sleep...We also load saddled if cow work is in the making.

Edited by flyinghfarm 2009-03-05 10:24 PM
tr0y
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-05 11:16 PM (#100767 - in reply to #100489)

Veteran

I have got one that in a stock trailer will go down and roll, he is 20 now but been hauled, showed, pulled, and getting in the trailer for him is like getting on the school bus. He is also huge (15H 1400 or so Mustang with a belgian) so he will chase all the others to the back of the trailer have a roll then get back up when he feels like it.

Its kinda funny to work or ride with new people and he goes down in the trailer, they all think he is sick to do the stuff he does.
Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-03-06 12:37 AM (#100768 - in reply to #100489)

Veteran

Just a quick question for you all?

Do the horses not strain a bit more not haveing a partition to lean on ? Just a question. I have a 4H Cherokee with dividers, if I removed them I could probably get 5 in quite comfortably....our trips are all over 7 hours - what are your thoughts on that....

TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-03-06 7:10 AM (#100770 - in reply to #100489)

Veteran

Hmm, leaning on the dividers, that's something I've never thought about. 

My thought is that without the dividers they have a little more wiggle room to stand in a more comfortable position.  If mine are tied in there without the dividers, when I open the door later they are not standing at the same angle as they would have been WITH the dividers, but face the front as much as room allows.  If they were NOT tied, I'm sure they would all be facing backwards instead, because when I first had just a small stock trailer and 3 horses to haul, I would leave them loose on the long hauls, and when I opened the door they would all be standing backwards up in the nose of the trailer.  I could have put a 4th horse in there, they left so much space.

So, my guess is that when they have dividers and no choice of how to position their bodies because of it, perhaps they do lean on the dividers because it's more comfortable.  Without the dividers, they might not require it at all, because they can find themselves a more comfortable position. However, adding in that 5th horses might not give them the space they need for that, so I'd say maybe try what the "experts" advise, and make regular stops on those long hauls, at least 20 minutes, and give your horses a chance to relax a bit from all the work of balancing on a moving trailer.

Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-03-06 8:32 AM (#100772 - in reply to #100770)

Veteran

Hey TPenning

Thanks for that bit of advice. We make regular stops on all our trips - never go more that three hours without a decent rest - besides my daughter cant hold it in much linger - I think it is a girl thing....

I think what I must do is try the 4 horses on a short trip without the dividers 1st - then I can see how they behave.

Fortunately I have a camera in the trailer so I can monitor them while we are traveling.

have a gr8 weekend.

TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-03-06 10:58 AM (#100793 - in reply to #100489)

Veteran

ooh, a trailer cam!  I want one of those! One for the barn, too so I can keep an eye on the weanling.
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2009-03-06 11:36 AM (#100795 - in reply to #100489)

Veteran

I had one horse that I hauled quite a bit in a 2 horse straight load with divider that got dependant on leaning on the divider and walls that when he was hauled in a stock trailer he had problems balancing without them. 

wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2009-03-06 11:57 AM (#100797 - in reply to #100755)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by AQHA 123 on 2009-03-05 7:31 PM

Do you guys think a horse can ride in a stock as comfortably and safely as a divided horse trailer?

More so.

Ever had a horse down in a trailer with dividers?
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-03-06 12:34 PM (#100799 - in reply to #100489)

Veteran

If stock trailers are so good for hauling horses then why do 90 percent of the people use trailers with individual horse dividers?
TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-03-06 1:15 PM (#100800 - in reply to #100489)

Veteran

Maybe we've just been convinced that a horse trailer is supposed to have dividers through years of advertising.  After all, De Behr's (sp?) has convinced us that diamonds are rare (they aren't), and that we should spend the equivalent of a 4-6 month salary on an engagement ring.  That took years and years of advertising.

As for the 90% thing, perhaps that just depends on where you look.  What's "normal" in one area can change every 50 miles further down the road you go.  Normal where I live means a stock trailer, since most people owned their cattle before their horses.  If I go to a horse show, it's still 60/40 stock vs. horse trailer.

After having seen my horses stand backwards in a trailer every time they were loose and free to choose, I would think that if I could design a trailer, the horses would be straightload reverse.  Then again, maybe this slant load plus dividers just came around as a way to get the most horses into the shortest length of trailer for the lowest price, and we all jumped on that bandwagon to the extent that the trailer companies followed US. It'd be a poor business plan to continue building what the public wouldn't buy.

tr0y
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-06 1:15 PM (#100801 - in reply to #100489)

Veteran

My Guess on why most have dividers is it is to most people horses are perts, not livestock, like a cow or a pig, and they are sold on the illusion of a higher level of care ?

Or like people use box stalls to keep horses cleaner prettier etc...

Who Knows, that is why I started this thread

tr0y
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-03-06 1:37 PM (#100802 - in reply to #100489)

Veteran

I think every person who pulls horses should get back and ride in the trailer with the animals at least once. This lets you see how they ride and what its like back there for them. You can see the movement, hear the sounds and feel the bumps and turns just like the horses do. I did this when I got my last new trailer, which had dividers, and noticed my horses don't lean on the dividers and use them for support like I thought they would have. I also noticed the horses like to put their back feet very wide. If the horses are not leaning and holding themselves with the dividers maybe they are more comfortable in stock trailers. The only thing is with the dividers I do think they are more safe. In a fast stop or hard turn the dividers will hold them in place and keep them from stepping on or crushing other horses. The dividers keep them from flying around so much as they would in a stock. Just my thoughts.
mnhunter
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2009-03-08 4:48 PM (#100890 - in reply to #100489)

I have hauled in trailers both with and without dividers and have hauled over long distances with both.  Started out with a stock type trailer and found that if you have the trailer full, the horses stood still.  If you have it only half full, they tend to move around quite a bit more.  If you want to go riding with someone else and you put a couple of strange horses in the trailer, they may fight and kick each other like they would out in the pasture.  We were headed to the Black hills one time and were just about to Wall when it felt like the horses were moving around in the trailer (the trailer was full), stopped to check and found that 2 of the horses had somehow swapped positions even though they were tied short.  Now I haul in a trailer with partitions and find that I feel no movement from the horses.  I have found that a horse that is used to being hauled in a stock trailer will be uncomfortable for a couple of trips in a trailer with solid partitions because he cant see his buddy.  Some of the trailers now have bars on the front of the partitions so they can see each other.  I have hauled up to 24 hours with a break every 8 hours for water and exercise but wouldn't recomend it for a horse that is not used to being in the trailer for a while. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)