'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer floor cover options

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-02-28 2:21 AM
6 replies, 5978 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mydaddysjag
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-02-27 2:25 AM (#100262)
Subject: Trailer floor cover options

I got a used trailer, and I'm looking into my options on floor coverings. The trailer came with two mats, but they only go directly under where the horses stand in the straight load. The mats are the older style that are like 1" strips of rubber, butter up against each other, with pieces of metal going through them to hold them together.
I really don't like them, they took two grown men and a woman to remove them from my trailer to wash the floor. Much heavier than a regular floor mat their size. I should also mention that my trailer is older, and the floor boards dont touch each other, there's a space just under 1/2" between each board. All of the boards are in great condition. I just washed everything out, and am waiting a while for it to dry out good before I treat the floor. What do you recommend treating the floor with? Ive heard to use boiled linseed oil, deck water proofer, and even used motor oil. Not sure what works best.
The trailer will be used for hauling miniature horses. I'm wondering if I can get away with using 1/4" mats, and covering the entire floor, screwing the mats into the floor around the edges of the mats so the horses cant paw them up. That was I would be able to unscrew the mats and remove them to wash the floor when I needed to.
Another option I was told about was a bed liner type stuff that you roll in like paint. My only issue with this is the spacing between my boards. Would I be alright to put plywood on top of the floor boards I have now, then roll this onto the plywood, or would that cause my floor to rot out faster from underneath? Also, if I had plywood lining my walls and my divider was made of plywood would I be able to use this on that as well?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-02-27 7:46 AM (#100271 - in reply to #100262)
Subject: RE: Trailer floor cover options

So many questions...I will try to hit most of them and I am sure that some others will jump in and give you some other thoughts.

First of all, while the mats you have now are very heavy, they will last forever, and will allow your floor to dry more due to the uneven surface. If you are going to change to a smooth mat, I would use the mats from Tractor Supply or Atwoods that are 1/2" thick. You won't have to screw them down that way.

Here is a link on treating the floor. http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=11091 Under mats, I personally would use the used motor oil. It is cheap, and if you change your own oil on a farm, there is usually more than enough for what you need to do.

The disadavantage to putting the plywood on the floor is that it will hold moisture between the boards and the plywood. The gaps between the boards are there for a reason. They allow that floor to drain itself and stay as dry as possible. Also, as the wood expands and contracts, the cracks allow for the expansion and the ability still to drain.

Hope this helps a little. You are on the right track trying to preserve the floor though and asking good questions. Good luck!

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-02-27 8:41 AM (#100281 - in reply to #100271)

Expert

Originally written by Tresvolte on 2009-02-27 8:46 AM

The disadavantage to putting the plywood on the floor is that it will hold moisture between the boards and the plywood. The gaps between the boards are there for a reason. They allow that floor to drain itself and stay as dry as possible. Also, as the wood expands and contracts, the cracks allow for the expansion and the ability still to drain.  

This is good advice. I had a stock trailer with an untreated wood flooring that was perfect after 15 years of usage. If you do some searches, you will find that many people believe flooring can last as long as 25 years.

The rubber will protect the wood against chafing. If you consistently roll the butt side back, flush out the manure and urine and let the floor dry, it will last a long while. We used the lighter weight individual mats that required no fasteners.

Gard

mydaddysjag
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-02-27 1:45 PM (#100308 - in reply to #100262)

I just found out that my stepdad gave away our used oil on craigslist, so we don't have any anymore. Unfortunately it takes us a while to get much, as we only have vehicles, not equipment. What would the second best thing to use be?

I actually just remembered I have two move of those mats in my shed on the floor, and I'm trying to find a way to fit them into my trailer. Ultimately I want my entire floor covered in mats so I can use wood shavings in my trailer when we go for long hauls. I'm not sure If I can make them fit though, because I'm pretty sure you cant cut them without them pulling apart.

Edited by mydaddysjag 2009-02-27 1:48 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-02-27 5:17 PM (#100315 - in reply to #100308)

Expert

What kind of mats are they?  I've never seen a mat that can't be cut.
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-02-27 5:32 PM (#100316 - in reply to #100262)

Extreme Veteran

I agree with Terri. 

Our trailers mats are not screwed down they are just cut to fit the entire floor.  Most of the mats I have seen in trailers look similar to standard stall mats.

I would think you would want to be careful what you apply to the floor.  I know there have been allot of posts regarding floor treating in this forum. Won't the residual fumes bother the minis?  They are slightly lower to the floor  

I would consider a non toxic water based product.  Probably cheaper than the mats.  We pay on the avg 40 bucks a mat up here 38 for 10 or more.

mydaddysjag
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-02-28 2:21 AM (#100336 - in reply to #100262)

I ended up getting thompsons waterseal for the floor. I also got the deck cleaner stuff that the bottle says to use prior to applying the waterseal.
I'm going to get 1/2 4x6 mats and do the entire trailer a few weeks after the water seal has dried and everything. I cant cut the mats I have now, and I defiantly want to mat the entire trailer. Who knows, maybe I can sell the mats I have cheap on craigslist
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)