'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Basic LQ Conversion

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-02 10:42 PM
7 replies, 3718 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pupsnponies
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-01 4:21 PM (#100414)
Subject: Basic LQ Conversion

Hi,

First time here since we bought out SilverStar Supreme GN, ready for LQ back in 2001 or so. Finally (!) we are actually ready to put in that LQ but it will be the fall so as not to be without a trailer for prime riding here in the NE. If possible, we'd like to drive our trailer to a LQ conversion company. Browsing this site, I've found one possibility (Sierra Designs) that might do that. They are about 10 hours driving for us from Syracuse, NY. We're interested in the basics only - shower (please.. a shower!!!), heater (that first June ride is a chiller), toilet, storage. No need for microwave, tv, range/oven. We can check with the dealer we bought from (almost 2 hours distant) but any other ideas out there on any conversion companies that we might work with directly? Or is there a reason to work via the dealer? btw - yes, my husband "could" do much of the work.. but he's got other interests...
Thanks for any insight,
Maryjane
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-03-01 5:22 PM (#100418 - in reply to #100414)
Subject: RE: Basic LQ Conversion

Elite Veteran

I'd add the mircrowave and TV. Microwave is very handy to heat up foods and warm beverages. And if you ever decide to sell it, TV and Microwave are basic standard for LQs. Are you going to add a small fridge too?
pupsnponies
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-01 5:33 PM (#100421 - in reply to #100414)

Oh yeah, definitely a fridge. Given circumstances (old age, lol) don't think we have to worry too much about re-sale at this point as this is more than likely our 'last' trailer. And with our lack of kids, they can't worry either! And another issue that comes to mind is that if you have a microwave / tv / oven you need a generator. My understanding is that with some of the other options - shower / toilet / heater you run them off gas and/or the battery. We don't currently have a generator and if we can avoid that, all the better.

Mj

Edited by pupsnponies 2009-03-01 6:55 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-02 9:16 AM (#100458 - in reply to #100414)

Expert

Originally written by pupsnponies on 2009-03-01 5:21 PM

If possible, we'd like to drive our trailer to a LQ conversion company. Browsing this site, I've found one possibility (Sierra Designs) that might do that. They are about 10 hours driving for us from Syracuse, NY. but any other ideas out there on any conversion companies that we might work with directly? Or is there a reason to work via the dealer? Maryjane

If you work through a dealer, they will add a fee to any work done by the conversion company. The dealers I spoke with added at least 10%, most whatever they could. So if you can work directly with the LQ companies, you will save some money.

When you drive west bound from Syracuse on the Thruway, on the North side will be a very large RV company. I don't know its business name, but have driven by it hundreds of times. They may be able to refer you to a local LQ business. The type of additions you want to make aren't as complex as most, and should be comparatively easy to effect.

There are many companies located in Indiana, which is quite a drive for you. I believe there are a few in NE Ohio, but I don't know their names or locations. I don't personally know of any in the New England area or Eastern PA, which would also be closer.

Some time spent on the Internet and phone asking as many questions as possible, may turn up a smaller business that would fit your needs. Call some local horse trailer dealers, and ask whose interiors they would include in the new trailer you're interested in purchasing. Of course you will want to see a representation of their work before you commit to a sale.

My reply will bring this thread to the top again, which might bring a response from someone who knows of a closer company for you.

BOL Gard

pupsnponies
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-02 11:33 AM (#100463 - in reply to #100414)

Thanks Gard, I know right where that RV dealer is located. So far, the conversion companies I'm finding are 9 1/2 to 10 hour drive, one towards southern OH and two in Indiana. Would be very nice to find something even a couple hours closer!

Mj
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-02 2:56 PM (#100476 - in reply to #100414)

Expert

Here's another idea you can take with a grain of salt. In Kittanning PA used to be a trailer company called "Custom Fab",  that I believe, recently went out of business. It was owned by John Altmeyer. They used to build all aluminum trailers, and some were fitted with LQs. I believe this work was done in house.

Their web site has been pulled; I don't know if John's personal number would be available. Do not get his name mixed up with "Altmeyer's trailer Sales" which is located a few miles down the road. It is the same family, but different businesses. John's now ex employees might be looking for carpentry work.

Kittanning is only a couple of hours from Morrisville.

Gard

pupsnponies
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-02 7:41 PM (#100491 - in reply to #100476)

Interesting idea. For what we want though I think it would be good to work with a bona-fide business that has a warranty/guarantee and stands behind their work. Although the distance sure would be nice! Talking to my husband tonight, he sure is expecting to drive a distance to get the job done right. I have a couple places sending me info at this point from Indiana. After waiting all this time, our biggest concern is quality with an eye towards price comparison. We don't want many of the amenities that others might consider required but do want high quality on what we want, if that makes sense. After 'camping' in the shell for a number of years we're pretty sure what we require! Sure beats tent camping with two wet shetland sheepdogs all to pieces though. LOL
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-02 10:42 PM (#100510 - in reply to #100414)

Expert

Give the Harmer brothers a call. They're easly to talk to, have decent pricing, and are concerned with producing a good product. They really check their employees work. They're about an hour into IN.

gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)