'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Buyer decides she doesn't want trailer after deal is done

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-01-20 12:13 PM
13 replies, 5782 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-01-17 7:46 PM (#97679)
Subject: Buyer decides she doesn't want trailer after deal is done

Veteran

Here's the story ..  I had an acqaintance who I told my trailer was for sale and she offered me a price and I accepted it.  She had seen the trailer a couple times a couple years ago and said she liked it.   I also emailed her recent pictures.  Strangely enough she does not want to come out and see it again,  she just wants to buy it.  On Friday we transfer the title and I am paid.  On Saturday I deliver the trailer,  show her a couple things and leave.  Later that day she call me and says she really does not want the trailer.  She does not say anything too specific other then she thought there were cabinets in the dressing room,  even though I showed her pictured that had no cabinets in the dressing room.  The trailer NEVER had cabinets in the dressing room.  When I mentioned the pictures I sent her,  she said,  "well I really never looked at them"  I am certain I am under no obligation to do anything further but I wanted to know what you all think.  I have a new found respect for trailer dealers,  this junk is way to stressful.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2009-01-17 8:12 PM (#97681 - in reply to #97679)
Subject: RE: Buyer decides she doesn't want trailer after deal is done

wow....hope she did not give you a check
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-01-17 8:17 PM (#97682 - in reply to #97679)

Veteran

If she did give you a check then I say you might be in trouble if she decides to stop payment, but if you have clear payment, then I would not worry about it. Did you give her a bill of sale that said sold as is by any chance? Seems to me you gave her every opportunity to come look at the trailer and you did send pics so it was not like you were misrepresenting it. Keep us posted. Sounds like someone I would not want to have any further dealing with.
Buffy111_99
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2009-01-17 10:14 PM (#97685 - in reply to #97679)

Regular

Run to the bank!!!!!  She has your trailer and you have the money!   Sounds like the deal is done to me.  If she paid by cheque and you can get it cashed before the stop payment comes through, you will be OK.  This happened to us when we sold a truck.  We sold it on a Friday night and ran to the guy's bank on Monday AM because we really didn't know him that well.   The next thing we heard on Tuesday was the bank called us and asked us to return the $6000.  they had given us in cash and we laughed and told them to go retrieve our truck!  We never heard another word. 
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-01-17 10:52 PM (#97686 - in reply to #97679)

Expert

This is strictly a matter of how you want to resolve it.

If it's been hard to sell the trailer and you are glad to have it gone. Consider it sold.

If you are more concerned about keeping on the good side of the individual, then take it back and continue your sales process.  You didn't say that you had missed other sales opportunities because of her. So you would be no worse off than before and would greatly inprove yourself in the eyes of the purchaser. I know it's a tough time to sell anything, Cars, trucks, homes and trailers. But you know she's not happy and she will complain in what ever circles she happens to run in. sometimes that just not worth the headache.

If it goes to court, it would be considered a done deal. 

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-01-18 1:08 AM (#97689 - in reply to #97679)

Expert

Sounds like she has "buyers remorse".... I say it's a "done deal", tell her to enjoy her new trailer, tell he to.... "call me and we'll go riding sometime".

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-01-18 6:45 AM (#97693 - in reply to #97679)

Elite Veteran

If the deal went down as you have described it, then it's a done deal.  Painted makes a good point, but if you are going to lay in bed worrying what she's going to say about  you, then you need a thicker skin.  I don't think you did anything wrong and I would let the deal stand where it is as long as you have gotten paid.

deranger

2Lcustomtrucks
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2009-01-18 10:32 AM (#97699 - in reply to #97679)

In Pennsylvania, (I am assuming that is where the sale took place), believe it or not, she actually has a leg to stand on.  Your state offers a "cooling off period" or "right to rescind" of 72 hours on several different types of transactions.  Two facts that dictate her ability include..

1.  You DELIVERED the trailer to her place of residence...ILO her meeting you in a neutral spot or coming to your place.

2.  You did not have her sign an "as is, no other agreements expressed or implied" affidavit.

Just my two cents.  You did business on a "titled" article and the law swings way over to the buyer's advantage.

Wayland Long

www.2Lcustomtrucks.com

Edited by 2Lcustomtrucks 2009-01-18 10:36 AM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-18 1:44 PM (#97709 - in reply to #97699)

Expert

Originally written by 2Lcustomtrucks on 2009-01-18 11:32 AM

In Pennsylvania, (I am assuming that is where the sale took place), believe it or not, she actually has a leg to stand on.  Your state offers a "cooling off period" or "right to rescind" of 72 hours on several different types of transactions.  Two facts that dictate her ability include..

1.  You DELIVERED the trailer to her place of residence...ILO her meeting you in a neutral spot or coming to your place.

2.  You did not have her sign an "as is, no other agreements expressed or implied" affidavit.

I'm not sure about the waiting period in Pa, but I believe it applies to purchases made by door to door sales persons, and sales made by commercial sellers (dealers)

A point of law is that all sales made by a private individual are automatically considered " CAVEAT EMPTOR". Any private sale is said to be without a warranty, in a buyer beware situation, unless a written warranty is offered, or a specific condition is noted. 

Your sale was made on a Friday, and it was the buyer's obligation to inspect and question the merchandise before the agreement was signed and finalized. By doing so, she agreed that all the terms of the sale were in order. Your delivery the next day was part of your sales agreement, and is not considered a separate transaction.

Whenever you sell anything, it is wise to have a written and signed statement by both parties, that indicates the sale is; an "as is, where is" sale with no warranties expressed or implied. An additional disclaimer can be added: The......"item".. is as described and I accept it as it is represented.

Buyer's remorse is not a legal reason to allow the purchaser to change his mind. Unless he can produce evidence that you advertised the trailer with cabinets, or offered a written statement that you would install them before the sale, you have no further legal obligations and he has no recourse. By not inspecting the trailer, which you offered and he declined, he accepted the sale as it was described.

Gard

nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2009-01-18 2:11 PM (#97714 - in reply to #97679)

Veteran

Sounds like buyers remorse to me.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-01-18 2:12 PM (#97715 - in reply to #97679)

Expert

Ncatanz .... Was this your old, 3 horse reverse load Custom-Fab trailer?  And have you recieved your new Lakota yet!!?

Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-01-18 3:52 PM (#97723 - in reply to #97679)

Veteran

Thank you all for your input and expertise.  This forum is great.  She may have been overwhelmed by the visual size of it parked in a very tight parking spot that was in the middle of the tightest hilliest houseing plan I have ever seen.  It was some of my best driving !  Her husband explained to me that their horse has trouble backing out of a horse trailer, so this walk through horse trailer should really be good for their horse.  I hope they find it that way,  if not I hope they can resell it in a couple months when the weather get warmer and make a couple hundred on the deal.  Gard you opinions are always valued,  thank you and retendo,  I sent you a PM.
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2009-01-19 9:51 AM (#97772 - in reply to #97679)

Elite Veteran

My goodness! DONE DEAL. Tell her she needs to "suck it up" and grow up. These flaky people make me crazy....When we sell anything, we say "Are you comfortable with your decision? Are there any issues we need to discuss? because once this transaction is done, it is yours."
Buckwild
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-01-20 12:13 PM (#97852 - in reply to #97679)

The person took delivery of the unit. That is the biggest thing.  If the trailer had never left the lot or property, then things would be different. And as others have said, if it is check or C/C sale, then they can stop payment or cancel the C/C sale thru the bank. CASH THE CHECK !!!....if it is a C/C sale, then cross your fingers..I call this a DONE DEAL !!!....Good luck !!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)