'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
trading trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-01-10 10:53 PM
4 replies, 3565 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

liv to ride
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2009-01-04 11:29 AM (#96895)
Subject: trading trailers

Veteran

Hi, I hope someone can help with this. I searched the forum and couldn't find any info. Has anyone ever had any luck in trading down on a trailer. I have a fairly new featherlite which I love but due to circumstances in my life changing I need to go to something smaller. I thought about selling it outright but with the economy the way it is thought it might be easier to trade down. Has anyone out there done this successfully or is this just not feasibile. Thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jim bob
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-01-05 11:07 AM (#96949 - in reply to #96895)
Subject: RE: trading trailers

Extreme Veteran

Trading down is not easy to do.  From a dealer's standpoint; most dealers today don't want to fork out cash for a "trade down".  If they take your trade, they are going to need to get it at "wholesale,wholesale" to make the deal work.  Your best bet is to sell your present trailer outright.  The used market is still pretty active; but a lot will depend on what you will take for it.  A lot of folks with a late model trailer, have 90% of it financed; so they are basically "upside down" in their trailer to try and sell it.  Do what fits your situation the best; but these are a few things to consider.
trguy4820
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-01-05 11:56 AM (#96952 - in reply to #96895)

Regular

Consign your trailer to a dealer that does consignments. Have them sell it for you. Then turn around a buy what you want.

drafthorsejunkie
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-01-07 2:12 PM (#97121 - in reply to #96895)

I think it is a very good possibility to achieve with the state of the economy right now especially. We did a similar thing only turned around, we made a deal on the trailer we wanted, we traded our trailer, and cash for our new trailer, we also drove 16 hours to do it, there are other crazy people like m out there, I  think! LOL I say it is worth a try, start advertising the trailer and put in your add something like, "willing to take a smaller trailer on trade TOWARDS this trailer" or something.  When we were advertising our old trailer, I would put, willing to trade towards a bigger trailer, I knew there would not be an even up trade for what we wanted, but it was still easier to trade ours towards a bigger one and come up with some cash, than trade it in at a dealer and not be able to get what we wanted. Good luck
Slidinspots
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2009-01-10 10:53 PM (#97283 - in reply to #96895)

Veteran

Last year I traded up with a private party. The other party needed to get out of the trailer payment and wanted something smaller so they traded down. We are both happy. So go ahead and put an ad out there, you never know.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)